Home Automation *Black Mirror stylz

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Dewie

Thus far I only use mine to monitor a mouse trap in the attic of my house:

upload_2019-1-8_9-18-51.png

2. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Just ordered a Nexx Garage Smart Garage Door Controller. It integrates with your existing garage door opener, has an app that includes notifications if the door was left open and you can control it through the app and also integrate with Alexa. I just found out about it from a Home Automation group at work as it went on sale here: https://www.woot.com/

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

like $250 here :/

4. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I had the woot website still open after ordering when a co-worker came in and he commented, "Oh, what's Woot got on sale today?". When I mentioned that I'd never used or even heard of the site before, he was really surprised... which led into a discussion on shipping costs to Canada, etc.

Honestly, though, I'd probably still pay $200 for it if it does what it advertises. There is a *ton* of small-time break-in crime in my neighborhood and one of the easiest things thiefs do is a quick grab and run when they see an open garage door. We're pretty good about keeping it closed, but there have been a few incidents where it has been left open for extended periods. I'll also be halfway to the ski hill and start wondering in my head if we left it open so the peace of mind will be worth it.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I have a camera in my garage for that very reason lol. I just need remote closing ability

6. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

You would think a camera would help, but they're pretty much useless around here from what I've heard. I know people who have been robbed, have the robbery all on video clear as day, but the cops don't do anything about it. Best bet is to do what you can do to prevent the crime from happening.

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah, makes sense. I'd imagine where you're in a much larger place the crime is more common too?

8. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

The biggest problem is that the homeless problem is out of control - the city grew really quickly, rents got out of control, and a lot of people ended up on the streets. There is a lot of "petty theft" stealing small stuff that can be sold easily online for cash. So... lots of window smash and grabs with cars, taking advantage of open garage doors to grab bikes or whatever and stealing Amazon packages off porches.

There are more "other types of crime" for sure, but the petty theft is rampant. Luckily (knock on wood), we haven't had anything stolen personally yet.

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Isn't there some drama there over taxpayer funded homeless shelters lately?

10. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I can do all the but open the door via voice and I'm kind of happy about that .I can just imagine being away from the house and telling someone "I can open my garage door just by saying OK google, open garage door" and my phone picking it up and doing it.

11. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I'm not that dumb.

12. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Got it. Works great. Ordering two more. If I can get it to work reliably outside and get a decent range in zero light, I'll sell the wired system and switch to these around the house.

13. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

Look for a chamverland garage door controller. I have one. It’s a myconnect or something

14. Duggan

MyQ, it works well, I used to use the liftmaster app, but found Chamberlain myQ to be a bit better. I realize they the same company, but found the chamberlain app to be better.

15. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Yep .some phones and accounts prefer one App, others prefer the other. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which App works better for each person.

16. Duggan

That being said, I would worry about Alexa opening my doors too, unlocking the dead bolt is one thing, opening the garage door for a Supermarket Sweep style tool grab is another.

Boots likes this.
  17. Jenn

Left Shark

We finished building a new house last year and went with a lot of smart home for it.

- SkyBell for the doorbell - video and audio
    - A bunch of security cameras with an app to check them
    - Lutron light switches on all the key lights
    - Liftmaster MyQ garage door opener going in soon
    - Ecobee thermostat for the main heat pump, and a Honeywell Lyric in the garage for the propane heater
    - Hunter Wifi connected ceiling fan
    - Phillips Hue lights in my lamps
    - EchoPlus + EchoDot to run it all with pre-programmed stuff
    - The Schlage bluetooth lock, haven't set it up fully yet though

I just tell my house what to do. haha

18. maniac

Has anyone ever looked into making their air exchanger smarter? I'm wondering if I could take a simple wifi plug and some sort of air quality monitor to turn it on as needed? It is just basically running all of the time unless I adjust the humidistat on it which must be wasting a lot of energy. I only have zwave light switches setup in my home currently to run my outdoor lights but I think using wifi based stuff will be the more common and cheaper standard in the future.

19. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I have a smart plug on mine but just so I can easily turn it off when we are having a bonfire. Pretty sure they are designed to be an always on appliance, not something reactive, but I'm not certain.

20. maniac

Maybe it would be better to control the fan speed rather than turning it off completely then? Or just turn off if air quality is good and no one is home?

21. Dewie

While completely doable I'm not sure if you'd want to either. If you happen to dig in to it and find out more info I'd be interested in knowing what route you go though.