Home Automation *Black Mirror stylz

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Jan 3, 2019.

1. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

not actually
    but lets talk home automation because i know theres a bunch of techy nerds on here who love that shit

So i'm not really in the camp of people who want to go full voice automation. Not really being sold on the echo's and the alexa's and whatever the hell else you can talk to

but i am a fan of controlling things from my phone. and to kick things off; who's into smart locks?
    We got the Schlage connect a few days ago, and am still tinkering with it. but it is prompting me to hook it into my home automation so i can control it from my phone. Currently looking into other options so i can just control it from my app. Google home seems to support it but only through 3rd party.

anyone else have "smart locks"?
    and who else is having a positive experience with home automation and/or is gone full black mirror and have the whole house controlled from the thoughts in their head?

2. 17

teenage dirtbag

I don’t have smart locks, but an electronic deadbolt with a code. When that craps the bed I’ll go smart. I have hue which does all my lights, geofenced so when me or my wife come home it turns on the hallway/living room/bedroom lights. The outside light is automatic shut off/on at dusk/dawn and I have the system paired with my echo dot for voice control.

3. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

what do you use for the outside lights? i have the honeywell which is nice for daytime savings, and adjusts automatically for the ever changing sunset and sunrise times but it doesn't work for LED lights, it has enough voltage when its shut off to have them on ever so slightly

4. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I just finished installing 12 smart switches so I can turn the lights on and off by voice and with using geofencing. iFTTT is a good App to use to get things working the way you want. We put them in because the switch layout in the basement made it a pain in the ass to leave in the morning so this setup let's us set a schedule for the lights in the am, and turn them on again automatically when we get home .My garage doors are both set up to work through my phone and I've got the controllers if I choice to do voice activation but haven't seen the value in that vs the security of accidentally opening the door if I say the wrong thing while I'm out. I can't think of a situation when the smart locks would be beneficial so I haven't bought one.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. 17

teenage dirtbag

The outside lights are Hue as well so they’re LED. I use the dusk /dawn auto setting in the Hue app. They’re just the normal white bulbs but I swap the color ones in at Xmas because I’m festive like that

6. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

do you have a smart hub, or some other z-wave contraption to allow voice detection?

7. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Google homes linked to the kasa App that controls the tp-link switches, and also linked to the lutron caseta hub for the lutron switches.
    The lutron are more refined but more expensive. The only reason I have them is because a number of my switches don't have neutral wires and lutron is one of the only brands that don't require neutral wires to function.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  8. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

lutron eh?
    i'm looking into the smarthings hub currently, hearing mixed reviews on its compatibility with Schlage.

9. Lex Lucas

feels good.

I have a bunch of google homes, hue lights, chromecasts, nest thermostat, wifi plugs, google wifi. Haven't really had a need for smart locks yet but I do see myself getting some eventually. I think cameras will be my next purchase by haven't decided what route to go yet.

IFTTT and Stringify are some essential apps to get the most out of your home automation

10. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

alexa seems pretty attractive at this point.
    she does the bridging and has z-wave, which is more expandable than what google offers. I would have liked to have gotten Google, but it seems limited in what it can do without more 3rd party hardware
    brought home chromecast ultra and apple tv right now to try them out; i heard apple tv has z-wave and i might be able to control my electronic dead bolt with it, we'll see.
    i think i'll end up replacing everything with 2nd gen alexa and firestick and give that a go

11. Dewie

I have a bunch of Inston stuff with an ISY Home Controller coupled with a few Google homes and some home made stuff. Most every light on my property is remotely controllable.

Having lights come on at dusk outside in invaluable when you're outside working, and being able to set up scenes/programs for various things is probably even more awesome. Double tap the light switch off when you go to bed turns off everything. Time of day constraints on a few allow me to turn stuff on minimum brightness when I'm trying to get ready for work at 5:20am and don't want to disrupt the wife.

There are so many options out there now I don't know where I'd tell someone to start. I'm pretty invested in the Insteon stuff but the ISY can do zWave control also and has an API which allows me to do other nerdy things.

12. 17

teenage dirtbag

I had my ipcams running through my Roku so I could bring them up on my TVs :bowdown:

13. Duggan

Didn't love the schlage smart lock I had on one of our Airbnb units. First one chewed though batteries in a couple days. Second one wouldn't reset new codes.

14. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

i heard the SmartThings having disputes with Schlage reporting false information on battery percentage. I like it so far, and i'll be curious to see battery life. What did you use to control it?

15. Duggan

I used the iris, the lock wouldn't tell me when it was getting low on batteries, it would go from OK down to no connection.

I like the lock, the problem is when you're keying in the new code, it indicates that it has accepted, but then the code doesn't work when tested.

I removed it from the property, and will try it out back east when I move again with a different hub.

I have the August on the Airbnb in Halifax and it works well, as it actually ties into the Airbnb app.

16. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

getting rid of the schlage deadbolt. you need another $400.00 in hardware to make it work on your phone. great as a standalone keypad electronic lock. but schlage doesn't advertise what you need to make it work on your phone, only what it is compatible with, which for someone with little to no education on the equipment and software, doesn't help you with what you need.
    earlier, i bought apple tv, because that works with home kit and acts as a home hub, but that only works with Schlage Sense, not Schlage Connect. so that's going back. I think i may at this point, go with a full standalone unit like August or the Nest Yale.

17. hank

I can turn my Christmas tree on and off with Alexa

18. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I think my next investment in this area will be something to monitor my garage door. We live in a pretty high petty-crime area and need to ensure the garage door doesn't get left open by mistake. It's happened twice since we moved here and luckily no one took anything. Ideally, I'd be able to monitor whether its open and set it up to auto-close or at least send me an alarm so I could close it myself.

We're pretty invested in Alexa at this point so compatibility with Alexa is a bonus.

19. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

If you were still in Halifax I'd give you the part you need assuming you have a liftmaster door. Forget using Google home or Alexa unless you have a ryobi or go go gate setup. Liftmaster will integrate with Alexa and google home but it costs a few bucks a month and will only tell you status or close the door. Liftmaster blocks the voice open. They are getting a lot of flak right now .As soon as someone exposes a way to link with google home at no cost, they modify the App to stop it.

The standard lift master App though will let you check out status and open close and schedule on your phone.

Screenshot_20190104-194608.png

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  20. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

so went with a August controlled Yale lock. It came with a wifi bridge in the box (not built in). So far so good. I had to widen my handle hole out to 2 1/8 to fit it but its in and working. Trying to set up iFTTT with it now. Thanks for the suggestion Cheddar
    This particular lock i remember now seeing with a lot of Airbnb's come to think of it. So i avoided home voice controlled home automation for another while anyways. Upgraded my streaming in my Den to the Chromecast ultra, so i know have the super 4k ray ray HDR she goin'. and my head is mush from that rabbit hole of a tech day. Good night

21. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

so iFTTT seems to be more beneficial if your home is loaded with automation. it seems to be beneficial if you like when something is a result of an action on your hardware ie; lights and switches turning on and off as a result of a door locking or unlocking. So can cheddar whats your take on it doing more than that? is that its main focus? i just want a basic layout for control, as my nest 'stat is already set up for automation and the august lock is already a good standalone unit for automation etc;

22. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

iFTTT stands for If this, then that. It's ONLY purpose is to make something happen as a result of another action.
    I think you need to define what you are looking to achieve with automation, which is a pretty broad term. I'm just learning all about it myself. IFTTT is just a middle man do the repetitive work such as turning on the lights when you hit a certain geographic area, but it's basic. One trigger at a time. If you want to unify all the different smart devices you need a smart hub. From what I'm reading you're going to need to start looking at the zigbee protocol and devices that work on it to act as triggers: ie motion, doors opening, sound etc

23. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

ahh that makes sense.
    well if i'm being broad in what you think i need, its becasue what i need isn't specific in any sense other than i want to control everything in a platform such as google home/google assistant, or iHome. the standalone app for Nest works great, the standalone app for August isn't working great so far, and i can't add it to google home. so trying to shop around for new 3rd party hosts is what i'm trying to get.
    i also can't help but think if i just pulled the trigger on hardware like alexa or google home it might help me....we'll see, it might be a matter of trying them out. i have echo plus with a firestick and an echo dot showing up next week, i'll unbox it and take it for a spin.

24. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I know very little about door locks, but my buddy has Yale which I think is made by nest. He also has nest cameras and a nest door bell. When someone walks hp his driveway he gets a notification and he can access that view through the nest app. When they ring the doorbell he will see who's it is and because the Yale door lock communicates through the same applies, he can choose to unlock the door from that same App. Apparently his doorbell and cameras both have facial recognition so it will tell his when I walk up the driveway but I don't think he can yet have it unlock the door when it recognizes my face.
    So what is "everything"? Google home or Amazon dots just let you issue a command through voice rather than over your phone or laptop. They don't automate a process. The product apps let you sent up the actions or combine the actions, like one action to turn on multiple lights. Google Home will let you do that too in some instances. It's the automation that I'm not clear on. If you want your coffee maker to turn on at 7am, a smart plug will do that, but so will an analog timer plug. If you want to wake up and say " turn on my coffee maker" you'll need a smart plug and an input device. Either push a button on the App on your phone, or use a google home to hear the command. If you want your coffee maker to turn on when you get out of bed and walk down the hall, and your propane fireplace to turn on when it's 8pm or later, less that 20 degrees in the house and you are watching TV, I think that's in the home hub, zigbee stuff.

25. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Yale is a lock manufacturer like Schlage or Weiser; Nest and August are the 3rd party softwares that get piggybacked on the yale locks and are sold as one unit. The Nest lock would have been about $500 after you buy the required bridge for it. The August lock was $420 tax in w/ the bridge included. Still not cheap, but cheaper than buying your own 3rd party hub with Schlage or Weiser or whoever and then trying to streamline a automation or wireless operation.

I suppose that's a good point you make though. The voice automated systems are doing a lot of things out of convenience that you can do quickly on your own, much like when siri first came out. All these voices are is being put into a bluetooth speaker more or less. The marketing behind it i love, because people are eating them up.

I since have rectified the issue with my August App. I can now control it through my google home app, which has "bundled all my wireless stuff; nest stat, roomba, printer, and chromecasts, so yeah google home is doing what i wanted it to do from the beginning.
    iHome seems to want to do everything google home does but will only let you add a new smart thing/device whatever if it has a barcode on it to scan, and its already failed at scanning two barcodes; nest and Apple TV lol

26. Lex Lucas

feels good.

27. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Innnnteresting. I just bought a pair of Dlink 8000lv but they don't have great reviews. I was hoping for one with cloud storage for continuous video instead of just 1min snips after a motion alert. Even the wyze pan seems like a good deal. Not sure how valuable an sd card is. I assume it fills up quickly.

28. Lex Lucas

feels good.

32GB micro sd is around $10 and they say you get like 4 days of recording. 64GB is ~$20.
    No Google Assistant support yet, but they say they are working on it.

29. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Already ordered it .Should be here by Thursday .

30. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

As far as I can tell, the Amazon / google support is just so you can instruct it to play on a supported TV which is of no interest to me.

31. Scott

rawr

Ive got a wyze cam. it works pretty well. Far from perfect, but for the price, Im happy with it.

32. Dewie

I also have one, V1 - I can't set up a motion detection area but again, for the price I can't complain.

33. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

yeah they are cheap.
    curious are you guys just using them for property security?

34. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Mine won't be running 24/7. Just when we are both away I want something in there as a just in case. I have a shitty lorex system outside and in the garages.

35. Scott

rawr

Sorta. House is off the road back in the woods, so for a bit of peace of mind. Have it set to see my garage, and if anyone comes down the driveway.

[​IMG]