Holland College Hurricanes VOlleyBall C&C

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by FullFrame, Feb 9, 2009.

1. FullFrame

FullFrame
    [OP]

2. Getson

I like the angle!

3. Gordon S.

Great angle, it could use some white balance adjustment to take some of the 'flash' out of it. Some of the shadows are distracting but I think a little post would go far with it.

4. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

a little off on the timing :happysad:

5. FullFrame

FullFrame
    [OP]

off on the timing? at what point would you have prefered?

6. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i would have preferred it to be on peak action...the ball not 1-2m away from the player

7. Jay McNeil

I disagree. I think this is perfect timing. Not to sound like a dick but I am willing to bet I know the sport better than anyone on here. Any later than this and the players legs will snap back down as he extends his body to strike the ball. It looks much more impressive here, this is his peak height.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  8. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

oh, so you don't think there's more impact with the player striking the ball?
    even if it were a little closer say a foot or even as much as 2.
    i guess i don't know volleyball at all, i mean i only played it competitively for 4 years. :lol:(not sure what that has to do with debating if more impact in an image would come from the player striking the ball :lol:)
    Again, not to be a dick-to me the image would have much more impact with him smashing the hell out of that serve rather than waiting for the ball to drop...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. Arod

Agreed

10. Jay McNeil

Ok. I shot NTCC's in Halifax this summer which is the national championships for all of the provincial teams and sold prints onsite... and sold more taken at this moment than striking the ball. This is because this is peak height and the players WANT to see themselves in proper hitting form with their arm cocked back ready to whip it forward. The "classic" volleyball pose is one with legs up and arm pulled back.. I mean you'll see this anywhere, even clip art etc.. http://www.ourladyofsorrowsschool.org/images/volleyball_spike.jpg ... I know our warmup shirts usually had players in this pose because it shows proper hitting technique. They also look good at contact, but this timing definitely works.
    I've got shots that I think work in either circumstance, but I definitely wouldn't say that this timing doesn't work.

players like to see themselves like this
    [​IMG]

but I think they both work.
    [​IMG]

11. Arod

There is a difference in what the players like to see and what makes it "technically" a great shot. Garett is eluding to the latter and not the former.

12. Jay McNeil

I still believe both work. Having the player at his peak height makes a technically good shot too.

13. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

while it might be interesting to the players, if you're looking at persuing sports shooting more seriously you have to account for how the general public will view the images. I'm not saying it's right or wrong-I'm just saying from an editors standpoint for publication-odds are if you present them with that, and someone else presents a similar shot with the player crushing the ball...the ball shot is what is probly going to get run.

14. Worsl

I'm with Jay on this one. For this serve I think it is caught at the right time. This timing gives the appearance the hitter is at maximum height with his feet pulled back. I know when he is hitting the ball the feet drop and the jump doesn't appear so high. IMO with the low perspective the wow factor is in the height of the jump, for high level volleyball anyways, this guys vertical isn't that impressive.

I would have been pissed at the flash in my face haha, I'm surprised they were cool with it.