1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hip Impingement Surgury

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Matt30, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

I recently have been diagnosed with a femoracetabular (i had to google that one) hip impingement. It is severe enough that it requires surgery, but surgery is a year to 18 months away.

My family Dr prescribed be some medication, and i will soon be going to physio therapy. However i am interested in talking to anyone who has gone thru this procedure, and im especially interested in talking about what people did to deal with the pain of a hip impingement leading up to surgery. From what i have searched on the internet there seems to be a lot of post surgery discussion, but nothing that im really looking for at this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wayne

1%er

My mom has been waiting 6 months for hip replacement, she is in agony and nothing helps with pain, although some sticky icky helps her sleep.

3. LMAC

_

my wife just had hip surgery for a Hip labral tear reattach the cartilage to the bone and needed to have the bone on the femur shaved down. Its not what you have I know, but if you need surgery physio would be useless really since physio would be used to help fix what is broken. At least that is what the surgeon told my wife

4. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

The reason i was issued physio is pretty much this:

As i wait for surgery, im not going to work my right leg as hard (the impingement seems to only affect my right leg), so im going to lose a lot of strength and muscle mass when surgery comes. After surgery it will be 6 months before i can do any physical activity (no hockey :( ), so they dont want my leg to basically become a wet noodle. Physio now will force me to keep the leg muscles strong for now.

That part im not totally against.....i would much rather just keep being able to play hockey though :happysad:

5. ouird

I'm Weird

Ive had my hips replaced... and then revised a few times.

I had a similar procedure done (Similar to the video on this site:http://www.nyboneandjoint.com/articles/hip-femoracetabular-impingement/ ) when I was 9. I remember watching the scope go into my hip (right, still have the scars from the procedure too). I remember the camera scrapping against my hip bone... at 9... it scared the shit out of me, and HURT like a mother fucker.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

I kind of assumed I would be put to sleep :eek:

7. Scott

rawr

I had a peice of my hip bone cut out, marrow taken out then replaced. Nothing like your procedure, but at least I was asleep :lol: Also hurt like a bitch for the next week or so.

8. ouird

I'm Weird

here's a video of the proceedure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVIn5JaCmc
    its a simulation so there's no blood or anything lol.
    I was awake for my 1st operation, but after what I saw, I was put out after that lol. I was pretty adamant about being awake for the 1st one (20 years old and no fear lol).
    I learned my lesson after that.
    I'll likely have to get my knees replaced in the next 10 years too. (fun going through strong metal detectors).

Ive been Poked and prodded pretty much all my life because of my disease. Nothing really surprises me anymore.

9. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

Thats extreme

10. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

Im also a tad concerned that these videos seem more like a tutorial :lol: Guaranteed theres some fly by night surgeries going on!

11. LMAC

_

It's a new thing so there totally is

12. Hiltzy

IB matt comes out of it with a tail

13. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

Id totally trade the agonizing pain of daily life for a tail

14. LMAC

_

I'm Getting checked for this now....

15. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

For whatever reason its common among hockey players. Why such a target i dont understand because its natural growth, not an injury. I tried to treat it like a groin strain for 5 months before i got checked out.

16. Horsman

White Man in a Black Suit

It happens to hockey players especially because they spend most of their time on the ice AND off ice time with an internally rotated, closed hip.

From The Journal of Athletic Medicine:
    The real culprit is not the movement itself but the lack of mobility in the joint capsule caused by extremely tight tendons, poor flexibility and a reduced range of motion in daily use. Rarely if ever do youth athletic programs have protocols which promote joint mobility and the proper development of opposing muscle groups. Rather than training the body to move via strength and conditioning and then expressing that movement through sport most teams train strength and conditioning BY training the sport, which can lead to these issues later on.

17. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

I did not see that information in my research. Thanks!

18. LMAC

_

Matt my wife did indeed have fai. What do you want to know

19. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

The biggest thing I'm concerned about is dealing with the pain while I wait for surgery. I was hoping to continue playing hockey, but the bad days happen more then good days. I've cut down on playing time way more then I'd like to. I'm interested in what anyone athletic has done to continue playing sports pre surgery

20. LMAC

_

Hers was really bad not only did she have FAI but had a labral tare and the cartilage was torn off the bone so she was in a fair bit of pain almost all the time she did what she could but just took the usual advil and tylenol to deal with the pain.

21. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

I also have a labral tare. The prescribed medication hasent done me any good. A mixture of Tylonal and Aleve has taken away some pain, but not much.

Thanks for running it by her. I appreciate it.

How has she been post surgery? Everything back to normal?

22. LMAC

_

Yep, had the surgery in end of sept and was cleared about 5 weeks later to resume normal activities the physio girl said she hasn't seen someone recover that fast.

23. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

Well thats the first bit of news about this procedure that wasnt grueling :lol: Glad to hear.

24. LMAC

_

Her surgery only took about an hr and a half. We found out after the fact the the surgeon here looks for younger people with it, rather then older because they are going to be getting a new hip sooner then later haha

25. LMAC

_

So..... it appears I have this in both my hips ( no wonder they are sore all the time) left worse then right waiting on MRI's and more testing should be an interesting road. They wont do both at the same time so it looks like I'm in for the long haul haha.

26. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

How are you makin out Luke?

I had MRI follow up with my surgeon today. The growth has actually increased in size since March, but some how I'm in less pain. Labral tare is minimal, which I guess was good.

No date for surgery yet, that's next on the list. He put me on the priority list, though I get the feeling I will be waiting a while.

27. LMAC

_

In pain haha, but im on a cancellation list, and my normal appt is in Dec so I guess that is something. No MRI yet

28. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

Well. I still never really found a way to minimize pain. All I could do was learn what repetitive motions trigger the pain more than others.

Lately, things have been really good. A lot less pain than a year ago, but my posture is fucked, still not the greatest mobility, but again better than a year ago.

Anyways...surgeons office called today....my procedure is gonna be May 7th :muri:

Cracker likes this.
  29. Wayne

1%er

My mom goes in for her hip replacement Apr 17 after 18 months of waiting...disgraceful system. 18 months of living in pain.

30. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

Apparently things are gonna speed up. What he told me today was that they are going to start using smaller clinics to do day surgeries and scopes, and the more major stuff will be at the hospital. That's here in NS anyway

31. Wayne

1%er

NS is where my mom is, nice to hear they will improve things

32. LMAC

_

Im on the cancellation list in ottawa, it could be next week or in three months but i bet i get mine done before matt does haha

33. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

3 weeks to go sucka

LMAC likes this.
  34. LMAC

_

lol at most im 3 months so we shall see..

35. Matt30

Matt30
    [OP]

What will your day be like post operation? First going off I was told I was over night stay in the hospital. Now that I've got a date they tell me I will be in recovery for 2 hours then sent home. Obviously I prefer to be home, but half wondering if it's a tad rushed. I was over night in hospital when I had my knee done