1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High speed usb question

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by wade, Sep 29, 2004.

1. wade

wade
    [OP]

I just currently moved in to my new place and i'm running the internet with a wireless router that my roomate has in his office. When i plug in my wireless card to the usb port, it comes up and says it's not plugged in to a high speed usb port. Does this matter for download speed. And if yes how do i get it to be a high speed port??

2. visual_kool

If you have a pc ,not a laptop, you can by PCI cards that has USB 2.0 connections on them. I know nothing about laptops, so if that's what you have someone else will have to pipe in.

Said PCI card is roughly $45 from Staples. Obviously gonna be cheaper from a computer store

3. wade

wade
    [OP]

The card works fine and i'm able to download stuff and surf the web no problems there. I was just wondering if that message saying something like my card is not plugged into a high speed usb port would affect my download rate?
    Oh yes i do have a pc and not a laptop

4. Dural

Insert something witty

Who's your service with and what kind of speeds are you getting?

5. Cody

It's windows XP telling you that your USB device isn't a USB2.0 device. No big deal, if it's a motorola surfboard modem I'm pretty sure they're only usb 1.1 anyway. Of course most people say you should use ethernet with those modems for stability issues but if USB is all you have then use it.