Help Me Choose

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Wayne, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

My dad wrote his 2013 RVR AWD off...was in great shape, had 167k on it.

Insurance payout is due today or tomorrow, remaining lien will be paid out, and he has $7400 in cash to put towards something else. They don't have a lot of money (two seniors on basic pensions) and were spending $380/mnth previously, and many times I've had to help out financially.

That being said, I would do anything for them, and they need a vehicle that dad can take on dirt roads to fishing holes, and reliable.

My train of thought is to find them an older used SUV (AWD preferred) for $5000 tops, and not have a car payment. I would get dad to put $150/mnth aside in my account to cover future repairs. They would still save $230/mnth compared to what they spent before. However, most vehicles in that price range have 200k for mileage on them.

The other option is to put cash down on something newer, but still out of warranty, and have a small finance payment...lower mileage so might be more reliable.

Any thoughts or advice? Obviously anything we look at seriously I would have checked over by a mechanic. Found some great vehicles, but no matter what it is, the reviews will scare the shit out of a person.

Currently considering cash buys (because that's whats in the market):
    - 2008 Santa Fe GLS- 3.3 V6, 240k, well maintained with records, and no rust - $3800 (FWD)
    - 2009 Santa Fe Limited - 3.3 V6, 200k, well maintained with records, no rust - $5500 (AWD)
    - various 2008-2010 Ford Escapes

There is a 2012 Subaru Forester X with 180k on it, super clean, 1 owner, well maintained - $9500

Seriously don't know what the best thing to do is...wish he could just get by with a car...

2. 17

teenage dirtbag

the escape is pretty solid, save for some rust issues on the older ones but thats easy to find

on the RVR note, my wife has a 17 fully loaded limited and likes it (plus a crazy 10 year bumper to bumper warranty) but the thing is a BEAST offroad and in snow. we do a lot of hiking in crazy places and it goes fucking anywhere.

Wayne likes this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Just had the 2012 Forester out, runs and drives like a brand new car, super clean, 1 owner, well maintained local car. Likely gonna go with that...seemed to be perfect for his needs.

I drove it for a bit through the snowy streets, and I get why people.love Subaru AWD system. Super capable.

4. Grifter

Bluh?

If I had to choose out of those vehicles it would be the Subaru. The others will be money pits and you'd regret it.

5. LMAC

_

ya that Subaru is a solid choice.. but dont they blow head gaskets all the time in higher mileage?

i dont actually know i just recall something about them

6. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Yeah, but to some extent, would rather a clean Escape that I paid $4000 for and had to repair a bit every year, than a Subaru he has to finance and still likely have to repair every year. Really hoping to find something solid privately for cash money. Insurance payout cheque/lien paid out is not clearing with RBC until first of week so we got some time to look around.

7. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Santa Fe was lowered to $3000 and was super solid, had all the records, no rust, purred like a kitten...was 2wd...but it was too big for him. Market is pretty tight for used small SUVS this time of year lol.

8. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Might go to the car auction next Tuesday and see if there is anything there.

9. LMAC

_

why isnt an older Rav4 or CRV on the list, older reliable SUV those should be tops on your list..

10. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

They are, that list was only what was decent and available in Fredericton the other day...not my shopping list. None on the market at the moment worth considering in the price range he wants to spend, but I'll be watching the market.

11. LMAC

_

Understood! Look in other markets too Montreal will have something not too far from you... But be aware mtl has some super sketchy used cars

12. Arod

13. LMAC

_

as sad as this statement is... that was the fastest Toyota then, those v6's are rockets

14. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Last thing my 70 yo dad needs is a rocket.

15. Arod

It was one of the fastest v6 SUVs of its day. The Camry was the "fastest" Toyota...which is an equally hilarious statement. What a great engine the 3.5 is.

LMAC likes this.
  16. Michael

Hole digger

That 3.5 boosted is insanity. There was a guy going around a few years ago with a boosted rav4. It was nuts.

17. MRA

MRA

Likely my buddy with the boosted RAV4, it was crazy fast, but was a ton of work and did not last long