Heat Pumps

Discussion in 'House and Home' started by RoryTate, Apr 19, 2018.

1. RoryTate

RoryTate
    [OP]
    Buffer the streaming media unto me.

I'm currently obtaining quotes for a heat pump, and had a question for current owners.

What kind of HSPF rating do you have, and approximately how low in temp does your unit operate until? If you were to get a new unit, what would you look for this time around?

I'm looking at units in the 16 SEER/8.5-9 HSPF range, but also the 18 SEER/11 HSPF range.

The cost for me is about double when jumping to the higher end model as it requires me to get a new furnace/fan coil along with the outdoor unit (variable speed compressor paired with variable speed fan in the furnace). The lower end units are single speed compressors and work fine with my existing fan coil.

I'm more interested in longer term savings with better efficency & lower operating temperatures for winter. The cut off for the lower end models is -15 (I suspect -20 for the higher end models).

And I requested a quote on one of the Misubishi units that is good for -30. I'm expecting that one to not be cheap at all.

2. Dewie

I don't have answers for the above questions about SEER.

I personally would go for the multi-speed setup. It's some nice to have it just gradually ramp up/down as needed. In my place it's single stage, things come on with at bang and just immediately shut off. I intend to make my own fan speed controller, if I can ever find the time, that just does some temperature differential calculations and ramps up/slows down the fan motor as necessary; independent of the heatpump actually running (will help circulate solar heat in the house). My father's multi-stage unit has a similar setup for the fan speed and unless you're paying attention you never notice it ramp up/slow down as necessary.

While I'm sure the Mitsubishi model will "work" at -30, I question how well...

3. 17

teenage dirtbag

I have an 18k btu daikin unit and it’s my favorite thing I’ve done to my house. It saves me a pile of money.
    I don’t know the seer ratings but it’s good to -25 but when it dips to -15 or so there is noticeable struggling. I haven’t had to use any supplemental heat at all this winter.

4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I have three LG Prestige 12K pumps. 27.5 SEER / 11.8 HSPF. I'm very happy with them. I used to burn 5-6 cords of wood and now I barely burn a cord and they aren't expensive to operate at all. The AC in the summer is fantastic. I do find the indoor units have gotten fairly dirty over the years and I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have one of those cleaning guys come in and clean them out... costs like $150/unit :mad:

[​IMG]

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

I pulled mine apart and cleaned it myself. It wasn’t hard at all. It was a year old in Jan so it wasn’t very dirty

6. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The fan inside mine is a BITCH to clean. I literally have to take a qtip and clean between each fan blade and there's a billion of em :(

7. 17

teenage dirtbag

Compressed air maybe?

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Thought of that but some of it is actually stuck on material. Assuming from the moisture from AC. I'm worried it could turn into mold/mildew so I wanna make sure they are spotless :o

9. RoryTate

RoryTate
    [OP]

Thanks guys. I received some additional info from a friend who used to work in the business in NS. I'll share here in case it can help someone else.

The long and short: if a house is using 60M BTU/year, the HSPF 11 unit would use 5400kWh, and the HSPF 8.5 unit 7100kWh. The cost differential in NS would be $800 vs $1100.

The higher HSPF units are generally made better, last longer, are quieter, and have better warranties.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  10. Daver

is there a reason you used three seperate units instead of a dual and a single?

11. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Supposedly it's the most effecient setup. I can also have three independent zones since each unit can be in it's own mode vs having a dual where both heads need to be in the same mode. Also good for redundancy should one go down.

12. RoryTate

RoryTate
    [OP]

I finally made a decision, and thanks to rebates/programs I'm able to afford a nicer system than I initially thought I could.

Thanks for the comments DewieDewie , I ended up getting a variable speed compressor/air handler. I was already leaning away from single stage units, your comments basically gave me a shove over the fence.

I went with a Lennox XP25 outside with the CBX40 inside and a S30 thermostat. There are more bells and whistles than I need by far, but it was less than a $2k difference between it and a much lesser offering from another contractor (after the manufacturer rebates, the same government programs would have applied to either system).

The installer has been in business since the early 80's, and seems to run a solid business (I was dealing with the owner). I was sure to ask about his electrician, and he is using a licensed sub contractor (some places don't, so I asked).

I found it odd, after explaining my wants and (preceived) needs, a few contractors heavily pushed single stage systems in their quotes that didn't meet my needs anyway. Some contractors would hard limit a temperature cut-off on their systems (at around -15). Yes, most systems do operate down to -30 (Mitsu/Lennox/Carrier included), but it's all about what efficency at those temperatures. The units I considered performed the cut-off a bit more intelligently (at least that's what I was told).

Hopefully this goes well. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Dewie and Nick84 like this.