1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Hard Drive Dismantling' or 'Too much free time'

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Teknic, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Teknic

Teknic
    [OP]

I'd vote for Too many spare parts actually, but anyways... I got bored :) I stripped one of my old Seagate 350 MB hard drives. The think only has two platters inside, but it's still pretty cool to see the internals :D

So this shot is of the hard drive still in working order.. Hasn't been used in 7 years or so....
    [​IMG]

The bottom....
    [​IMG]

The bottom removed
    [​IMG]

The top removed (after about 10 screws.. 6x torx 8 and 1x 3mm hex, and 3 more small torx screws)
    [​IMG]

Parts (including a square sticker on the left saying "Warranty void if removed" which was found under the board on the bottom)
    [​IMG]

The reflection of the platters (reflecting a music video, and on the right a GTA Vice City map)
    [​IMG]

All parts disassembled, other than the 2 platters which I apparently need a torx 4 bit for (I have one somewhere, but I think it's on the work van in Yarmouth....... :P)
    [​IMG]

So that's the start of my Good Friday :D Next, maybe I'll disassemble a few CD-ROM's... Oh wait, did that last week (just didn't take pics). Hope someone enjoys :)

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Take out these two magnets:

[​IMG]

They are the strongest magnets you'll ever get your hands on. Unfuckingbelievable! I've dismantled a few hard drives just to get a set of those. Be careful, they'll snap hard on your fingertips :lol:

3. AcidGord

We used to use Quantum Viking II HDs on our machines at work. Worst harddrives EVER. After a year or two the head motors would seize and this would happen: (Not the greatest picture)

[​IMG]

Popped one open one day after the 5th one that died to figure out what the hell was killing them. I don't want to think about the powdered aluminium I inhaled when it cracked open. I'll probably end up with Parkinsons. :o

4. Teknic

Teknic
    [OP]

Boots: Never even noticed they were magnets. How observant am I today? LOL :) I'll have to play with those later though. Wonder if I could modify them to hold a small camera to something metal..... Like attach a bracket somehow.... hmm............

AcidGord: All I can say is.... DAMN. Never seen anything like that before. I've seen heads scratch the platters but never one get chewed up like that. Kinda sweet :)