'Hard Drive Dismantling' or 'Too much free time'

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Teknic, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Teknic

Teknic
    [OP]

I'd vote for Too many spare parts actually, but anyways... I got bored :) I stripped one of my old Seagate 350 MB hard drives. The think only has two platters inside, but it's still pretty cool to see the internals :D

So this shot is of the hard drive still in working order.. Hasn't been used in 7 years or so....
    [​IMG]

The bottom....
    [​IMG]

The bottom removed
    [​IMG]

The top removed (after about 10 screws.. 6x torx 8 and 1x 3mm hex, and 3 more small torx screws)
    [​IMG]

Parts (including a square sticker on the left saying "Warranty void if removed" which was found under the board on the bottom)
    [​IMG]

The reflection of the platters (reflecting a music video, and on the right a GTA Vice City map)
    [​IMG]

All parts disassembled, other than the 2 platters which I apparently need a torx 4 bit for (I have one somewhere, but I think it's on the work van in Yarmouth....... :P)
    [​IMG]

So that's the start of my Good Friday :D Next, maybe I'll disassemble a few CD-ROM's... Oh wait, did that last week (just didn't take pics). Hope someone enjoys :)

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Take out these two magnets:

[​IMG]

They are the strongest magnets you'll ever get your hands on. Unfuckingbelievable! I've dismantled a few hard drives just to get a set of those. Be careful, they'll snap hard on your fingertips :lol:

3. AcidGord

We used to use Quantum Viking II HDs on our machines at work. Worst harddrives EVER. After a year or two the head motors would seize and this would happen: (Not the greatest picture)

[​IMG]

Popped one open one day after the 5th one that died to figure out what the hell was killing them. I don't want to think about the powdered aluminium I inhaled when it cracked open. I'll probably end up with Parkinsons. :o

4. Teknic

Teknic
    [OP]

Boots: Never even noticed they were magnets. How observant am I today? LOL :) I'll have to play with those later though. Wonder if I could modify them to hold a small camera to something metal..... Like attach a bracket somehow.... hmm............

AcidGord: All I can say is.... DAMN. Never seen anything like that before. I've seen heads scratch the platters but never one get chewed up like that. Kinda sweet :)