HALP ME ARSE-EE: Starting issue

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Arod, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Arod

Arod
    [OP]

For the last few days the Alt belt on the Protege 5 has been squealing on startup or when wet. Last night on the way home from work the belt became oddly quiet. After getting home and relaxing for a bit I went out to start the car so that I could pick up my moms at the airport. When I tried to start the car it wouldn't go. When I turned the key to accessory all the lights would come on and the pump would prime. When I turned it to start the car would try to turn over once and then then all the lights would go out and the only sound would be the starter trying to engage. and that would only last for a few seconds. I left th car for a while longer and tried to start it...it started but did not like it at all. Battery connections seem fine and the belts are all spinning without any squealing at all. I shut if off and tried again and it was back to the original issue. This morning I tested the car and had the same scenario.

I can't find my voltmeter so I am unable to check to see if the Alternator is charging the battery or not. To me it would seem that the Altermator is gonzo but I am open to other suggestions.

2. Stan

fashionably late

Sounds like the battery is dead. Try boosting it and see if it starts. If so, don't drive it because your belt is probably slipping so bad that the alternator isn't spinning and it's not charging the battery.

3. Scott

rawr

Yeah I would say Alt or Battery.

4. Arod

Arod
    [OP]

The alt belt is spinning just fine when the car runs. I am guessing that the alt isn't charging the battery properly. If I could find my damn meter I could check the voltage at the battery when the car is running to see if it is getting much of anything from the Alt.

5. Stan

fashionably late

Testing with a volt meter would be a good start. If the altenator spins but doesn't charge the battery it could be the alternator itself, or possibly a fuse. Not sure if such a fuse exists in the Protege 5, but the civics have one, although I forget what they're labelled.