Got a headache? Might be your lightbulbs....

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Leviathan, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]
    It's all in your mind....

Apparently those fancy-schmancy "environmental" light bulbs that last 15 years might not be so good for you. They give off "dirty energy" or something.

There are two parts to this news report - part one is on the same YouTube page and talks about people getting rashes or burns or something?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Big Al

Resident Redneck

I'm sure my 61inch tv is more likely to give me a migraine than a light bulb.

3. Elcoopto

im pretty sure my cocaine use is more likely to give me a headache than my lightbulb

4. Getson

I heard about this last week or so. They say it gives off small amounts of UV "rays" so if you're within 30cm of it, you could get a burn, similar to a sunburn. But I think that was in Europe. Canadian Standards are doing testing right now to see for themselves.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I believe that... I had to take the bulbs out of a lot of my lights because they hurt my head :(

6. Big Al

Resident Redneck

I've gotten UV burns welding, I doubt one from a lightbulb is going to have near the effect.

7. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Ohhhhh Nice !! Boots is killing the planet. :cry:

8. Leviathan

Leviathan
    [OP]
    It's all in your mind....

I remember when you posted about switching the whole house over to the new bulbs. :happysad:

Better stock up on the old ones, I think they will be banned/not allowed in 2012 or something like that (how do they do that though - besides just not making them anymore?).

9. TheDirtyFresh

I know if florescent lights flicker slightly off of the proper frequency they can be hell on a persons eyes, but you'd never know it to look at them.

10. Miss Shawty

I get headaches at work all the time, I know its from the lights.
    They are way to bright for my sensitive eyes! :(

11. Ed

Ed

They're full of mercury

12. Leroy

@danackles29

I believe it, I also dislike the buzzing noise some of these make.

wear sunglasses inside, it helps

13. tiemeuphfx

Banned

They contain a tiny droplet of mercury compared to what is contained within a linear fluorescent tube. A watch battery contains around 5 times the mercury found in a CFL. Even many household items (ie. switches and thermostats) contain mercury and you've never heard a public outcry about that.

14. Ed

Ed

watch batteries and thermostats don't break as often as lightbulbs do... that's the problem.

15. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

night vision

/thread

16. Miss Shawty

No thanks, it looks silly. :kekeke:

17. tiemeuphfx

Banned

A heck of a lot more batteries and thermostats end up in the regular trash system compared to fluorescent bulbs. Commercial users of fluorescent lamps are supposed to recycle or do safe disposal of them (which is why dumpster companies can reject a load of bulbs mixed in with other trash) and homeowners can simply drop them off with their household hazardous waste or bring them to retailers who have drop boxes set up. The resources are out there for people to use.

As for clean up of a broken bulb its quite simple and the amount of mercury in a cfl isn't a life hazard unless you decide to intentionally ingest the bulb. Wear a pair of disposable gloves and bring along a ziplock bag, a few sheets of paper or boxboard, a rag and some masking or duct tape.

Pick up all the larger pieces and put them in the ziplock, then use one sheet of paper as a broom and the other as the dustpan, clean up whatever you can and put all the waste and paper in the bag, the duct or masking tape can be used to pick up miniscule pieces of glass and can also be used to "grab" any mercury droplets. You can use a piece of paper to roll the mercury onto the sticky side of the tape, then take the rag with some household cleaner and wipe down the floor area where you did the clean up. And once again put all this in the ziplock bag. Some jurisdictions let you drop this package into the regular trash unmarked, some prefer you mark the contents on the outside and you can always take the bag to your local HHW depot.

The important thing is to never use your vacuum or broom when cleaning up any mercury containing item. The vacuum will vaporize the mercury and spew it out over a wide area and the broom will trap stuff and deposit it when you use it again.

18. Omerta

"dirty energy" or a malfunctioning ballast?

19. Omerta

Thats not hard to correct, I'm sure the R&D department of the manufacturing companies tested it output of the bulbs to see what wavelengths of light its emitting

20. thunder

my av is me

There are so many other things causing my headaches, I think the lightbulbs are the least of my worries.