GM disbands High Performance Vehicle Operations

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by PitBull, Feb 18, 2009.

1. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

Wow - they're responsible for the Cobalt SS, V-series Cadillacs, HHR SS and the V8 Colorado. As I said earlier - if GM is doing this to their high performance versions, I can't see Chrysler sticking around with the SRT cars for a while. They're in an even worse position than GM.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090218/CARNEWS/902189973

2. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

I wonder what will become of the SS Cobalt and V-Spec CTS now? They've both received media accolades, and the Caddy is barely to the market as it is.

3. 17

teenage dirtbag

Damn that sucks. The CTS V is a monster

4. Squashtowner

herp derp

They're fucked.

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

Hardly. As much as it sucks, the V line accounts for very little of their overall sales, and they need to cut the excess where they can to stay afloat. The way gas prices can be, plus a shitty economy means people wont want to drop 65-70k on a Caddy. If they didnt do it, people would bitch that no one is buying 500hp cars and its pointless to make them.

Now is the time for a new Cobalt SS though. New additional $750 credit came in this week

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  6. Muricane

MY AV IS ME

Guess I know someone out of a job. :sad:

7. Leroy

@danackles29

It really depends on who you hear this stuff from. It seems the media really doesn't have a clear clue of what GM is going to do. Yesterday we were told that Pontiac will be GM's flagship performance brand, and they are canning the Wave, and G5 only leaving the Solstice, G8, G6, and Vibe to the lineup. They are looking to sell off or discontinue GMC trucks, Hummer and Saturn (smart idea). Chev will be the econo brand with the Cobalt, Aveo, and Malibu and the Silverado truck lineup. cadillac will be the luxury line and buick the welfare luxury line. This is as i heard it, it does make sence to me as they have too many of the same rebadged vehicles, but I can't see all this actually happening.

8. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

That's exactly what the media IS saying... Except instead of "flagship performance", they're calling Pontiac a "niche" brand. Meaning they'll be cutting most cars from it's lineup and offering only unique platforms (like the G8 and Solstice). Although last I heard, they were keeping the G6 around as it's it's best seller, and I assume it would help bring the overall mileage of the brand up. But there's still uncertainty if they'll end up ridding it completely. They still want another 16 Billion from the government - so I would guess it's still up in the air.

9. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

If they were an engineer, from the article it looked like they were diverting those resources elsewhere. Taking those people to focus on their other brands.

10. Leroy

@danackles29

well they need drastic change, they got far to big and have been competing with themselves for years. Years ago I remember talking with co workers about GM having too many lines of the same car. The only issue I have with any of this is the dealerships that will have to close eventually, mine included.

11. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

There was talk of making all the dealerships sell all brands... I really don't know why they divided them up in the first place.

A few years ago they said they were going to reduce the duplicate models, and they did it for a while. But then they got back into their old habits by selling the G5 and G3 (well - Canadians had them for a while anyway), and the a Lambda for everyone.

12. Leroy

@danackles29

Yeah as I understand it the G3/Wave, and G5/Persuit were not available in the US at all anyways.

13. Arod

The G5 is available in the US...the G3 will be in the spring.

14. Leroy

@danackles29

one terrible decision after another....

15. PitBull

PitBull
    [OP]
    We want YOU! Join RC.

Yah - I believe the G3 is new this year (I think it's for sale now), and the G5 (coupe only) has been there for a year or so.

Kinda why the facelifted version of the Wave is called the G3. They gave it a (proper) alpha-numeric name to match the lineup in the States, so they just adopted it up here too.

16. Leroy

@danackles29

09 Wave is a G3 wave. If they keep it they will drop the Wave name completely like they did with Persuit.

17. Omerta

Stupid. Where are they going to source thier R&D from for future model revisions?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  18. Arod

Shame, the Cobalt SS turbo is a potent little compact.