1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of photography

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by photoshadow, Feb 11, 2010.

1. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

So we have to do a project on photography.
    We decided to do past (Alexander Gardner) and about film
    Then present, about Photoshop and the digital age
    And lastly talking about about the future - My part - going on about video. and crazy quality the entry level slr can do.

So my part of the future... so to start some discussion.
    My belief on it is the movie to video, and making the images bigger then 1080 and then doing 30fps. Then the photographer (myself being in sports) could just simply select the photo they want from that video instead of doing individual stills. While i believe still photography would still have its place, the video would take over it quite a bit.
    Not to mention that the Entry level like the T2i shows that the ISO is getting to be a huge thing, as well the 18mp is insane. While uneducated people think mp is everything this can make competition level elevated.

But the real kicker is that the iso is so crazy high that the need for 300mm f/2.8 could be lowered since the consumers at say outdoor sports can certainly survive on their stock lens. Now yes the quality may not be a big thing, but really, prints have dropped off and more website photos are needed. The other issue would be DOF, this would be the only reason why going high end (yes USM is needed, and overall contrast, but Photoshop can help too)

So simply put low end are catching up and are going to be bigger pain for real photographers. Not to mention it seems everyone is a photographer these days.

PLEASE NOTE I’m just spit balling here to engage some points or get some thoughts started.

Anyways what your thoughts to this? Where do you think the photography live is going?

2. Arod

One thing you forgot to think about with regard to your theory on selecting stills from video....is that although the frame is 30fps...the "shutter speeds" of an individual still taken from the video is still far far too low to properly catch action. I think the 5D MKII (and probably the same for 1D MKIV) the "shutter speed" while taking video ranges from 1/30th to 1/125th.

3. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

yes but give it a few years, for future i'm saying max 10-20 years from now... So i would hope the shutter speed will increase.
    And look at Red's photography gear. I guess you can do the video and selecting a pic.

4. Arod

The theory about the lowered need for lenses shuch as the 300 f2.8 would decrease prices is not correct. If the need declines, production will lessen and prices will increase...which will also filter down to used prices increasing as well. There will never be a replacement for high quality fast glass. The weekend warrior might think that they can get away with it, but image quality and the focusing abilities of high end lenses will always be in demand for the professional.

5. Arod

Have you also seen the prices on reds gear?

I think we have seen the limit of what is going to be accomplished with DSLR in camera video. There will be a few tweaks over time to perfect it...but nothing to that extent.

Not to mention with the red gear if you want the higher frame rates (120 for example) you are still limited to 2048 X 1152 (16:9), 2048 X 1024 (2:1) as far as resolution goes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. Arod

Even at 120fps the low end red cameras cannot acheive shutter speeds fast enough to obtain satisfactory stills when shooting fast action

I think the red one is capable...but I think if someone wants to shoot 120frames at a low resolution just to get one shot is EXTREMELY lazy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. Gordon S.

I think the future is going to be in better noise reduction, higher sensitivity and, most importantly, higher dynamic range. Thats the real weakpoint in cameras now. Even as an action shooter I just don't like the idea of shooting video and picking out the frame that looks the most 'actiony' to me. When I'm shooting action stills I'm thinking about the composition every single frame to maximize impact. (Nobody said I was always successful, but thats what I'm TRYING to do. :) ) I'm changing variables and settings to get the best shot for that particular capture. Shooting video is just the end result of spray and pray and I don't think will ever quite end up with the same result for a dynamic action environment. Maybe shooting stills in a controlled setting it would be more useful.

8. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

i can't see video ever fully replacing photography...at least not in our lifetime. sure the demand for video is rising for sure but i can't see it doing what cd's did to cassette tapes or dvd to vhs anytime soon.
    also cheaper cameras and glass etc etc etc are all great for weekend warriors-but they can't buy SKILL or the vision needed to replace professionals-that's something that can't be bought in the store. along with things like sales skills and interpersonal skills. anyone can go spend 1500 bucks on a rebel and some glass-but they won't be taking any business away from me. in fact if anything they will end up helping in the long run.

9. danny

bike manic

I think the main thing with photography that will be in the improvements in the future is developping multi-sensor cameras capable of capturing hdr photos on the spot... I think the closest thing to this we have seen is fuji's superccd? but yeah eventually the sensors will become more sensative to that type of thing.

10. photoshadow

Paintball Life... Jokes.

I'm sorry but i hate HDR. why would i want my caamera to capture them on the spot... I don't see enough demand for them to spend million on RnD to do this

11. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

people love it. i'm positive if canon announced tomorrow a camera that does in camera HDR with the press of one button they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

i don't mind blended exposures that are more in-line with the same dynamic range our eye sees...but i'd say 98.878787% of 'HDR' makes me want to vomit. but again-look around-there are hundreds of thousands of people that are obsessed with it-and for customers/hobbyists aka citizens lol they fucking LOVE hdr....why? because it's DIFFERENT. we know how hard it is to get things to look proper-but they don't necessarily appreciate it-but when they see something they can't see just by looking at a scene they gobble that shit up-a lot like selective colour etc. we don't have to like it but that doesn't change anything.

12. danny

bike manic

I agree with it being within the same dynamics of what the eye see's (10-14 f-stops) which is what is the most popular belief.... I would find that reasonable for a future mainstream slr.... But as you said, most "hdr" are discusting.... because people overdo it. The only HDR I appreciate is either in line with eyesight, or in a composition that its meant to be exagerated as an artistic expression.

13. Arod

I agree with the last two posts. "HDR" will be the future...but as Danny said the goal will be for the cameras to produce the range that the eye can see. Fuck, post would be so much easier.