FS - Photoshop for digital photographers

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Danial Doherty, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Danial Doherty

For Sale

Photoshop CS2 for digital photogrpahers by Scott Kelby
    $40 OBO

Nikon 70-300mm ED
    $175

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Getson

That is a great book. Have it too. Someone should get plenty of use out of it.

3. Jenn

Left Shark

I just ordered the CS3 version of this today. Looking forward to it, I've heard great things about these books!

4. A~Photography

I got my book last week it looks GREAT.. someone should buy this up if uyou dont allready have one... great learning tool... wasnt teher someone looking for one a while ago msg him/her

5. Smokey

If it comes with a copy of photoshop i'll take it

6. Danial Doherty

lol its already free if you know where to look! lol

7. Julie

got my cs3 book today.

8. shelsters

show me the light

is it any good? Can I borrow it... :kekeke:

9. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Do you make money from your photography?

Do you think it's right to steal the tools you use to make that money?

10. Danial Doherty

no i dont make money from my photography... its a hobby, some day hopefully!
    do i care if anyone else steals it?? not really

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  11. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I make my living writing software in the same market as Photoshop. It irks me that people think pirating it is "ok" and see nothing wrong with it.

Yet, were anyone to mention someone stealing a photo off this site and using it as their own... hell to pay.

Just saying.

12. shelsters

show me the light

I do make money from my photography… and yes… I give it away too… just gave some shots to a magazine…

If these companies that make the programs weren’t so greedy, and priced their software so far out of reach that normal everyday people could afford to buy them… then they would sell more, and have less people “borrowing” it.

Just saying…

13. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

How much did you pay for your camera, your lenses and other kit?

If I were to ask, you would probably say that Photoshop is almost as important as anything else in your kit... yet, in your opinion, it's not worth paying for because it's "just software".

In general, I can't stand piracy.. but when someone is using software they've pirated to finish something that they then sell for profit, it really pisses me off.

And... how are you to judge what Photoshop should be priced at? Do you have some inside knowledge into how it's built and how much profit Adobe is actually making off it?

No.. you just got into photography and didn't factor the cost of your "digital workflow" into the equation and were pissed when you saw the cost.

There are plenty of alternatives, some of which are free. If you want to use Photoshop, you should be paying for it.

14. shelsters

show me the light

Hey hey there… slow up some… I was just saying that if big corporations didn’t over price there items… whether it be software, camera, lenses…etc… then they would sell more… Photography isn’t my job… it is my hobby… a self supporting hobby. Besides that… if your caught with illegal software, it would be just my luck that your paperwork would cross my desk…and I would be the one fingerprinting you. :kekeke:

15. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

My point stands the same - if you're willing to shell out the big bucks for you hardware, be willing to shell out for the software as well.

16. Smokey

I'm not a professional, and as much as i'd love to learn more about photo editing, i'm not gonna pay $600 for a program to do it. However, if i was a pro and was doing it for a living, i would have no problem forking over the cash

17. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

There are tons of alternatives to Photoshop for non-pros. :shrug: Hell, there's even an edition of Photoshop for non-pros.

When I took up woodworking as a hobby, I didn't bitch and complain that a "pro" level table saw was going to run me $10,000. I bought a $600 one used and use that.

Amateur photographers seem to think that they're entitled to free copies of Photoshop because they spent a lot of money on their fancy DSLR.

18. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

sometimes they come bundled with elements or have offers to get it cheap...and to be honest photoshop is a little much for someone that doesn't really know anything.

19. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

There's a lot of really good points by a lot of talented people here. But as far as I'm concerned (read as - IMHO), HarryAss is right. Software piracy is illegal and he's also right (I assume he...) that if one of us found an image used illegally, we'd be just as upset as he is as a software developer.

Just because we can't afford it is a poor excuse. PS may be $600, but LR is $99 for the educational version and PS Elements is $99 at Costco, Paint Shop Pro goes on sale for $49 all the time directly on their web site. GIMP and Picassa are free.

You need to start somewhere and just because you want the best doesn't make it right to pirate the best. It took me several years to decide to take the plunge and buy PS. Search on Kijiji or ebay for a legit copy that someone is selling because they traded up or buy a Wacom tablet that includes a free copy of Elements and then buy the upgrade version.

I'm not going to stand here and say that every piece of software I have on my PC is 100% legit, but if I used it as part of my photographic workflow and have made money on it, you can bet that if it was required to earn that income, I ended up buying it.

There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat legally, there is really no need to pirate...

20. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Great post, and yes, I be a he. :lol:

21. Arod

I have like...10 driver/software CD's that came with gear and stuff I bought recently that have copies of elements on/with them lol.