Friday Sit V. Chickens and rats

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by David Puddy, Nov 20, 2020.

1. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

quick sit rep:
    my mothers immediate next door neighbour outside of the city has chickens, they are not fenced in and are often found off the property in other peoples yards. it appears the chicken feed is quite a mess and not contained and is now attracting rats. my mother spoke to them the day she noticed about a dozen having a feast at the chicken feed; and they assured her there was an exterminator coming out the next day, no exterminator showed up. The next day my mom found a dead rat in her living room that luckily the cats had killed.

what would you guys do?
    i'm almost certain the caveats surrounding the legality of having chickens stresses that everything i just listed goes aginst. has anybody dealt with this before
    i already called 311 and they have sent a request off to the by-law department which can sometimes take up to a week to hear back from them.
    i have called an exterminator who will hopefully be out there Monday. Until then, i don't want here staying there

/rant

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

set up rat traps and leave the rats on the doorstep with a note that they have a rat problem...

3. 17

teenage dirtbag

Ghillie suit, your moms yard and a pellet gun

Grifter likes this.
  4. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Omw out there to talk to the neighbours shortly. I hope they aren’t confrontational and are compliant. I’m going to insist they pay for the exterminator bill

5. KMD

KMD

First thing I would do is make sure your Mom's house is tight and by that I mean there are no little holes that a rat can get in. Check high and low, rats can get in a very small hole but they will also chew. If you have an exterminator coming they will or should also do this.
    This type of a situation would drive me up the wall I would be rounding up stray cats and bring them to the yard to clean up the mess and the odd chicken just as a treat.

6. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Update:
    i've spoken to the neighbour and his demeanour is a bit dismissive and defensive, but altogether is compliant, so he makes it appear anyways. I highlighted the root cause of the rats on the adjacent properties, is that he lets the chickens out of the coop and go free and they roam on said adjacent properties, leaving behind feces; which attracts the rats.
    His reply was that he was going to keep them locked up in his coop. My mother works from home and since that day, everyday, she has seen them running around the yard like nothing is changed.
    i've in the meantime, set rat poison boxes everywhere in between the two properties and emptied a couple cans of rodent proof spray foam anywheres i think they could get into.
    so the next step? waiting to hear back from the by-law land use office and the area councillor. I really don't want have to speak to this guy again and confront him with the fact that he lied about keeping them locked up, because the probabiblity of a confrontation is high.

7. BlackFire

Professional napper

Time for a fresh roast chicken dinner

8. C. Mike Hunt