Formating HD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Barbour, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Barbour

Barbour
    [OP]

Ok I fuck up here. I decided to format my HD and start fresh so I took my parents HD and trasfered all my important files onto it. After I get this done it was late and I went to bed. I got up in the morning and started to format but 2% into the format discoved that it was the wrong fucking one with all my files and my parents files on it! FUCK. So I abort at 2%. My question is is all my data lost or is there a way to recover it???????? Please tell me there is

2. Dural

Insert something witty

If the hard drive still boots then there is a chance to recover it. Search google for the several programs out there for data recovery.

3. Davan

do what now?

You can likely recover pretty much ALL your data, with the help of some software.

Most quick formats simply remove the FAT table... all the info is still there, just the 'link' to that data is gone. There are several types of data recovery programs out there than can 'rebuild' the FAT table.

Just don't do ANYTHING else to the drive until you run the software on it, from another machine, with that drive attatched as a slave.

4. Barbour

Barbour
    [OP]

no, the drive doesnt boot but ill take a look on googe to see what I can find....any specific software I should look for?

5. Barbour

Barbour
    [OP]

oh and I fomated with NTFS

6. Barbour

Barbour
    [OP]

Thanks Dural and deven. I D/L a program from google and after about 45 minutes of it scaning and extracting the HD it found all my files. Then I tried to copy them onto my HD and it said I had to buy the program. Oh well now I know I can still salvage my files. :D

7. Davan

do what now?

Just make sure you don't do ANYTHING on that drive that would overwrite your files...