Fishy Trawler ?

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Stang, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

Something dosen't sound right about this ?

'I guess God was pleased'

[​IMG]

Coast guard ship in time to save 22 crewmen who dove into water, some in pajamas

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Two thunderous bangs believed to come from the engine room of a Spanish fishing trawler were the first sign of trouble aboard the Monte Galineiro.

Eighteen minutes later, the 30-metre vessel, engulfed in flames, listed and sank in the middle of the North Atlantic.

"Everything happened so quickly that it was difficult to realize what was happening," Capt. Ivan Blanco said in Spanish, his comments interpreted at a news conference Monday by Spanish Consul General Carlos Valcarcel.

Crew members heard what Blanco described as "two shocks" before they saw the lower level of the ship in flames.

He was the last of the 22 crew to escape the rapidly burning boat Sunday, eight to 10 of whom dove into frigid, three-metre swells wearing nothing more than their sleepwear.

Others clung to their lifeboats as 55 kilometre-per-hour winds threatened to topple them over.

But all were saved by a Canadian Coast Guard vessel that was conducting a routine fisheries patrol about 400 kilometres southeast of St. John’s when it fielded the distress call.

The Leonard J. Cowley rushed to the scene only 10 minutes away.

"If we hadn’t have been there, the guys in the water wouldn’t have lasted more than five or 10 minutes. The water’s that cold," said John Parsons, the Cowley’s second officer.

"I guess God was pleased."

Cowley Capt. Derek LeRiche said he had serious concerns at first about the prospects for a rescue as most of the trawler’s crew scrambled to safety without any of their personal belongings.

"It was too fast," LeRiche said after the Cowley docked Monday morning in St. John’s.

"Most of them didn’t have anything. I think there was one guy actually (who) just came on board in underwear, that was it. Some of them, of course, were in bed asleep so they had to jump up to get off the ship."

One crewman from the trawler was flown to St. John’s for treatment of smoke inhalation and the rest were taken on board the Cowley. Another suffering hypothermia was treated on the coast guard vessel.

The 21 men and one woman — from Spain, Ghana, Morocco and Romania — flashed broad smiles and gave a standing ovation to the coast guard after reaching port. Customs officials boarded the Cowley to greet the rescued crew, who were given boots and additional clothing.

Coast guard officials and members of the sunken vessel said they don’t know how the fire started. Blanco said he expects investigators from Spain will determine what happened.

The crew stayed at a downtown hotel and were expected to make their way back to Vigo, Spain, late Tuesday.

Asked whether he would return to sea, cook Justice Ehun was unequivocal in his response.

"We can’t say that we cannot go (to) sea again," Ehun said in broken English, calling the harrowing near-death experience "part of life."

2. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

MP Suspicious of Trawler's Quick Sinking

[​IMG]

A New Democrat MP is raising questions about a Spanish fishing vessel that sank like a stone on Sunday on the Grand Banks, as the crew scrambled into the North Atlantic.

The 22 crew members of the Monte Galineiro were rescued by the Canadian Coast Guard within minutes of the ship issuing a distress call.

NOTE: Poll results are not scientific and reflect the opinions of only those users who chose to participate. Poll results are not reflected in real time.

The coast guard vessel Leonard J. Cowley was able to arrive on the scene within 10 minutes of getting that call, and the ship sank about 10 minutes after that.

Peter Stoffer, the fisheries critic for the New Democratic Party, said he is suspicious about how the ship sank. The coast guard said it received a report that a fire had broken out on the ship.

"That ship went down far too quickly, in my own view," Stoffer told CBC News.

"I'm not a master mariner, mind you, but it seems awfully coincidental that it went down.

The Leonard J. Cowley was in the area of the Monte Galineiro because it was preparing for what the coast guard called a routine inspection of the ship.

On Monday in St. John's, the Monte Galineiro's captain and crew said the ship sank after an explosion in the engine room. They said the explosion meant they had mere minutes to gather the crew — some of whom were sleeping — and get out of the ship.

They said if the Leonard J. Cowley had arrived even a few minutes later, some of the crew would have died in the ocean.

The coast guard found that the crew of the Monte Galineiro were fleeing the ship rapidly by the time they arrived on the scene. One member of the trawler's crew was wearing only underwear.

Still, Stoffer said he wants federal authorities to investigate.

"Some questions I have is that will the government now allocate the resources to go and find the vessel to determine what depth it's in and to see if it's possible to inspect that vessel to see what's inside?" Stoffer said.

The Monte Galineiro was in international waters at the time of the incident, and about 400 kilometres east of St. John's. Canada does not have exclusive jurisdiction in the area.

Canada and Spain have had numerous tangles over the years on fishing on the Grand Banks. Even though Canada has had a moratorium on key fisheries in its own waters since 1992, foreign trawlers regularly fish from the deeper waters in the Grand Banks.

The parliamentary standing committee on fisheries is scheduled to meet Tuesday in Ottawa. Stoffer, a Nova Scotian MP who sits on the committee, said he will demand that federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea, the coast guard commissioner or an official from Foreign Affairs be called on the Monte Galineiro matter.

"If there's something on that vessel that shouldn't have been there and we could find out and that it was purposefully sunk, then in my view, that would strengthen our entire argument over custodial management," Stoffer said.

The crew of the Monte Galineiro is expected to leave St. John's on Tuesday to return to Vigo, Spain.

http://news.aol.ca/article/mp-suspicious-of-trawlers-quick-sinking/538444/

3. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

Drugs ?

4. Big Al

interesting. IBitgetscleanedoutbeforeanyinvestigationtakesplace.

5. briangtiguy

definatly something not on the up and up there

6. Michael

Hole digger

def drugs.it would take hours of intense fire to damage that hull to the point of sinking.

7. Omerta

I cannot invision a mechanical failure that would bring down a ship that fast. Somethign is sketchy

8. PitBull

We want YOU! Join RC.

"Eighteen minutes later, the 30-metre vessel, engulfed in flames, listed and sank in the middle of the North Atlantic."

Plus the fact there are pictures of it sinking, with no fire or even smoke. Or evidence of there ever being any.

9. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

It looked like a fairly new solid ship not some old piece of crap that was unseaworthy. I wonder if they'll look into this further ? I thought it sounded sketchy when I first saw the article on the news.

10. Canuck

Wasn't there an explosion...?

Yeah, sure was a beautiful rig :kekeke:
    [​IMG]

11. Arod

lolz

12. Scott

rawr

that doesnt look anything like the boat pictured above :lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  13. Canuck

Yeah....or the one in the second post... I just posted it because it's the other one that comes up in Google Image search...and looks like ass.

14. Canuck

Probably German U-boats...I've seen them in the harbour this week!

15. Canuck

Just read that the Coast Guard was heading their way to board the trawler for an inspection.

16. hank

So did I. In the article posted above! :lol:

17. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

This is the ship that went down.

Not sure where you dug up that piece of shit. :lol:

18. tribeachpunk

[​IMG]

19. Big Al

ahhh the germans are coming the germans are coming!!

20. Elcoopto

:lol: I was sitting on the force protection barge when they pulled one of those cocksuckers in. Fun to watch for sure.

21. Wayne

They sunk that ship, way too convenient right around the time they were being followed by Coastguard.

22. Big Al

the dude in boxers was probably just trying to get as much coke up his ass before she went down.

23. Canuck

Haha it was the first result in GIS.

Actually it's the picture they used in a few spanish news articles about the story...

24. Canuck

Ahh what a tool, I missed that in the second article :o

25. Bandit

I Miss Summer

they were still in international water were they not?

that means the coast guard can't do anything to them.

26. Canuck

Jurisdiction belongs the country of where the ship is registered. But I think if the flag country doesn't take action, any other country can, or something like that.

27. Stang

Stang
    [OP]
    Go Buy a Ford

:lol: