First snow-test: How'd your winter beaters do?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Redshift, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Redshift

Redshift
    [OP]

Had the first chance to drive this winters victim in snow over the weekend... overall, it didn't fair to badly.
    I was thinking the all-seasons and auto-tranny would really hinder things, but it wasn't too bad. Locked the fronts once or twice coming into some stop lights, but other then that it did ok.

... and as a bonus I already managed to half-rip the air dam off the front of the car plowing through a pile of snow. :)

How'd everyone elses winter cars do?

2. Eisenflower

:lol: Nice work dude!
    The ole jetta is a tank in the snow, especially with the new snow tires.

3. AcidGord

My 'beater' did well. Gotta love brand new snows. Everybody ELSE on the road doing 25 was pissing me off though. :)

4. Redshift

Redshift
    [OP]

It was great driving to work this morning... the air damn is hanging off the left side of the car and was dragging on the ground the whole way... :)

I was doing the whole Homer Simpson steering FOR the piles of snow left by the plow thing.... :)

Steve: Which snow tires did you get? My car has pretty much new Michelin X-Ones on it, so I'm kinda thinking I'll just take my chances with those.

Gord: Patients with the slow people... at least they weren't going too fast and running into you. :)

5. Redshift

Redshift
    [OP]

... and Saturday night I had to fight SO hard to stop my self from limping the RX over to the Sobeys parking lot to practice my drifting....

6. Eisenflower

I got some Pirelli Ice & Snows. [bermie back]They grip like a muthafucka[/bernie mac]

7. Redshift

Redshift
    [OP]

Cool.

Where/what size and how much?
    I'm looking for some recommendations in case I decide these X-Ones won't cut it...

8. Lex Lucas

feels good.

My Jetta did ok, until the driver side wiper stopped working on me. Had to pull a Ace Ventura some of the way, but I fixed it and its good as new. I also think i'm going to have to invest in some winter tires because I kept feeling my rear end slipping on me when going around corners.

9. Eisenflower

Dave: They came with the car, and they are pimping 13's.
    I'm pretty sure Dartmouth Surplus sells them if you want to call and get a price.

10. bluenosersx

my exhaust is all fucked up :(

not sure what is wrong with it, was just replace 2 years ago on the beater and sounds like something went on it cause it is loud as a tank.

11. Redshift

Redshift
    [OP]

Cool, I may drop by and check them out....

Tonight I gotta figure out a fix for that air-damn... I'll be damned if I'm gonna lay down in the slush to re-mount it, so I see my options as:
    1. Take it the rest of the way off.
    2. Re-attach it with duct tape and/or zip ties...
    hmmmm :confused:

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

My accord works great :D

It's got so much rust check on it, salt trucks go off the road if I drive too close :D

13. stu mccrea

talon worked great, of course i have awd which is an advantage. But i got to admit runing toyo fz-4 summers (bald) is really fun....... three winter with them on the car.

14. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

My civic could be better...... I have Cooper winters on the front and Michelin artic alpins on the back that are balding..... The coopers grip really good but the michelins are balding and it is just like driving with McDonalds trays under my rear wheels! :lol:

I got stuck on a snowbank yesterday, but my car only has like 5" of clearance. :(

I am totally not used to driving a light FWD car in the snow..... the last 3 years I have been driving a Mazda 2wd truck what was amazing in the snow. Now it is sitting in my driveway with a hole in a cylinder wall and I'm too broke to get it fixed...... now I gotta wait for my income tax check.... :(

15. LMAC

_

naw leave it, its funner that way

16. DC5-S

If you go, go balls deep

The X-Ones I had on the accord worked damn well. If they're pretty new, I wouldn't change em.

But my pilot alpins are kick ass!