Filters

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by lanne, Feb 17, 2009.

1. lanne

lanne
    [OP]

Just wondering about UV and polarizing filters. I think I understand what each one does, but is it worth the purchase or is post-processing sufficient to simulate the same effects?

Also, which brands are better (and reasonably priced)?

Thanks!

:crazy:

2. Gordon S.

There's a pile of different opinion on UV filters but on Digital cameras they have no 'effect', they're there for proteciton only. Personally I don't put any more layers of glass infront of my lenses than are necessary, others disagree.

A circular polarizer is worth it if you do a lot of landscape or vehicle shooting. It deepens skies and kills reflections. You can't do that in post. (At least not to the same effect)

3. lanne

lanne
    [OP]

Is that all I'm going to get? You guys aren't very nice to 'noobs' are you?
    Or maybe you're just tired of answering the same questions over again??
    Hmm...

4. Don Merritt

:eek3: Seems like a good answer to me . . . what more would you like ? You have two choices . . reasonably priced filters and good filters. Good filters are expensive, reasonably priced are so-so. B+W MRC polarizing filter will cost you approx. $130.00 for a 62mm if you shop right. Different sizes command bigger bucks. You can get up into several hundreds of dollars for these. Hoya have some decent filters to choose from. There is NO post processing that can duplicate a polarizing filter used to remove glare from objects without massive amounts of Photoshop work. That gets expensive to have someone do it for you or wastes a LOT of your time and you better be a Photoshop expert. There are programs to enhance the blue sky so you don't need a polarizer to do that. UV filters are things that people argue over a lot. For digital they seem to be used to protect the front element of your lens. Most ( me included ) don't use them for the UV effect they're supposed to work on. I see them as another piece of glass in front of your lens to help degrade the image quality. Better, expensive filters use a much better quality of glass so the degradation isn't too bad. It's a personal choice. Check out www.2filter.com and look around in there for a bit.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  5. A~Photography

yikes.. i don't use them and don't know much about them that's why i didn't post but the one reply you had pretty much sumed it up

6. chef21

Allez cuisine!

Not to be an ass, but seems the first response did cover the question. Yea alot of sites are hard on noobs, me being a noob myself find it hard to get answers some times, but after being on here for a bit, I see a pattern developing where people ask the same damn questions, don't like or listen to the answers, the more experienced people give. Then rattle off as if no help was given. I also see these experienced people not posting as much as they used to or answering as many questions, Can't say I blame them on a lot of counts. This site is great, because it's local people who deal with the same problems, as you and I. Lets start helping our selves a bit, take the burden of learning off of everyone else, use the search button a bit more, and maybe others will be more likely to jump in and help. God knows I need it alot of the time. I bet you will see more of the regulars posting and helping. just my two cents

7. Arod

How about giving everyone more than a few days to respond to your post before freaking out. Gordon did answer your question quite well and promptly though.

8. lanne

lanne
    [OP]

Didn't mean to come off harsh. Stupid keyboard and its inability to properly express my feelings...
    My comments were harmless and in good humour and thanks to all for the input.

;)

9. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

a little search goes a long way. i found at least 8 relevant threads on this in about 10 seconds by searching. :)

10. Squashtowner

herp derp

I paid around $60 for a 52mm Optex polarizer at Japan Camera a few years ago. :happysad: Seems to do the trick for me.

Is there such a thing as good or shitty polarizers? Mine seems to work pretty good :)

11. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

yes there is.
    cheap cpol's will noticeably degrade image quality.

12. Squashtowner

herp derp

I get a ton of noise with mine, it seems. :happysad: That would be the cheapness coming through, I assume.

13. Arod

it shouldn't effect noise. more in the way that you are placing a cheap piece of glass over your lens...degrading the quality.

14. Gordon S.

Well, they don't directly produce noise themselves, but they take away stops of light so your camera has to 'work harder' which can lead to noise.

Definitely don't scrimp on filters though. Get something good quality and multi-coated. Expect to spend a fair bit of money for sure.

For cheap folders google some discussion threads for some good sellers from China on ebay. 'besteastern' is one of the bigger ones I think. They're very well reviewed and their filters seem to be quite a bit less than B+H and orders. I have to pick up a 77mm CPol this summer so thats probably the route I'll go.

15. Squashtowner

herp derp

:happysad::happysad:

16. Gordon S.

I knew someone was going to harsh on me for the way I worded that.

Less light means higher ISO, slower shutter. (Or wider aperture, if you have the light to spare) Depending on conditions that can lead to more noise.

Better? :)

17. Squashtowner

herp derp

Oh I wasn't being harsh -- I was agreeing. :)

18. Gordon S.

Heh, I misinterpreted the smilies then, my apologies. :)

19. nb132

Drunk Batman hates you

I never understood why people wanted to put a shitty piece of glass in front of their lens that they paid $$$$ for to get good glass.
    Might as well take a pop bottle from PEI and hold it in front of the camera when you use shitty filters. Doesn't make sense!

20. Squashtowner

herp derp

:( Well, at the time when I purchased my cpol, I wasn't aware of differences in quality. Just differences in pricing. And you don't always get what you paid for.
    It's like paying $19k for a Kia, or $19k for a Honda or Toyota. :happysad::happysad:

21. Gordon S.

In related news I've got a 52mm Tiffen CPol I'll sell cheap! :p

22. Squashtowner

herp derp

:o I had tiffen ND and CPOL filters on my Sony P&S a few years back. :)