Error Message ** Help**

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by VR6in, May 11, 2004.

1. VR6in

VR6in
    [OP]

Whenever I start Windows Explorer I get an error message and it shuts down Explorer. There are a few sites that I can get access to, this being one of them. The error message I get reads like this

"Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Now this has happened the odd time before but if I reboot the computer it's fine. I just downloaded all of the new updates thinking that may be the problem. No luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. VR6in

VR6in
    [OP]

Oh, and by the way, I'm running Windows '98.

3. Xtreme989

are you having more problems with that pc? looks like you have a corrupt file. try opening internet explorer and going to tools....windows update....and installing the updates. IF that doesn't work, then let me know.

4. VR6in

VR6in
    [OP]

PC......

I updated the files already, I thought it would work. It didn't. So I went back into windows update and it didn't update them all like it was supposed to, the one that it didn't update had to do with explorer so I was thinking that would fix it. again it didn't. So now I can't even get in windows updat without getting the boot. but for some reason I can open and use yahoo.ca, r/c, lowmotion, they all work. But the things like NBA.com and almost everything else doesn't work. I have no viruses so I don't know what to do next.

5. Foster

Toolboard

What version of Explorer do you have?

6. VR6in

VR6in
    [OP]

Version 6.0.2800.1106CO

I'm not sure if you needed all of those numbers, but you got them anyway, lol.

7. Dural

Insert something witty

Try removing any spyware or adware you may have collected.

8. VR6in

VR6in
    [OP]

ok, give me some examples of spyware and adware please. This is my work computer so I don't download a lot of stuff like that, but maybe I have some and don't even know about it.

ps. I know squat about computers.

9. Foster

Toolboard

I guarantee its a spyware problem...

If you download Adaware off the net probably off Download.com and install it..then run it, it will do a scan of your system and find files that were downloaded onto your system through browsing the internet.

Basically it'll find a multiple of files and you just keep going through the screens and it'll quarantee them...

10. VR6in

VR6in
    [OP]

So then I need to download Adaware?

Next problem is that I get this error message and can't et on a site to download anything. Is this a program that someone could email me?

11. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Take your windows 98 CD and throw it into the CD drive.Restart your computer,press delete before it posts and then go into the BIOS and change your boot sequence to boot from CD first.It will restart your install. Follow threw with the install.It will ask you if you want to keep your old setting (choose "No") and let it finish.After that you will still have all your info but your Windows settings will be reset and anything that was corrupted from your original install will be replaced.That is about the only way you will get it working right.It is not uncommon to have this problem with windows 98.I have had that prob on the wifes computer a few times.

12. Xtreme989

this is a great idea, except you forgot two things....one he is on a work comp...which i highly doubt his work will like him re-insatalling windows on...and two, he don't know squat about computers...sorry Scott, your own words :P

13. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

What they don't know won't hurt them.Hell ,just make them fix the damn thing.Screw it up real bad so they have no choice.

14. VR6in

VR6in
    [OP]

You're right Andy. I don't care if it's my work computer or not, I can do pretty much what i want. BUT, I don't know squat, lol. I'd try it but I'd need a lot better instructions then those.

I did however try Adaware. Someone in my office downloaded it and sent it to me (I couldn't download it) and I ran it. It came up with a shit load of file that I got rid of but the problem still exsists. So anyway, the journey continues........

**ps. Why the hell can I get on lowmotion and R/C but nothing else??

15. Fred

Retired

You can try going into add/remove programs and select IE. Then select fix from the 3 options.