1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric trucks

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by billybob, Oct 8, 2021.

1. billybob

billybob
    [OP]
    The Schooner, the better.

What is your opinion on electric trucks?

Cybertruck
    F150 lightning
    Hummer
    Rivan R1T
    Soon to be announced Silverado

If you had a choice, what one would you pick and why?

2. 17

teenage dirtbag

I think the hummer is obnoxious as fuck so I love that, but the f150 will be the more affordable practical option. I get obsessed with squeezing the most mileage possible out of my wife’s escape, it’s almost pathetic

3. Wayne

Big fan of the F150 lightning

4. Scott

rawr

Probably the lightning, think it would fit my needs more so. R1T is too small. Would need more info on the Silverado. Hummer is neat, but meh. Cybertruck, again, need to know more, what kinda payload it will have.

5. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Not a fan yet, give it ten years.

My truck use case is towing, and having to stop every 200ish km for 8-10 hours just doesn't work for me.

Yes, the trucks have 400-500km of range - EMPTY. Just like an ICE, you start towing and the mileage drops like a stone.

Yes, fast charging stations can do 20-80% charge in 45 minutes. I've checked the maps, and these stations are very few and far between and simply don't exist where I want to tow. Plus fast charging will degrade your batteries faster.

There are many regular charging stations around, which is awesome. Problem: most will simply not accomodate a 19' truck with a 28' trailer. I'd have to find a place where I can leave my trailer, unhitch, then go charge for 8 hours. Hopefully my trailer is where I left it afterwards. Definitely not ideal.

Then look at the rebates. Federally I'd qualify for a ~$5k credit, which is awesome. Provincially I qualify for bubkus because the base price of these vehicles exceed the provincal rebate threshold. It is what it is.

All in all, I like the idea of an electric truck, but the current tech doesn't work out FOR ME.

Your mileage may vary.

6. RoryTate

I may end up going with the F150 hybrid in the future - the towing mileage doesn't change at all, but when empty the hybrid drivetrain shines.

7. 17

teenage dirtbag

really hoping work approves this for my next one. I want to power my house off of it when the power goes out

8. Scott

rawr

The Truck/Trailer charging area is something I'm curious about as well. So far mostly where I tow to camp, Im fairly sure I could get there on a single charge, maybe one stop. The Lightning seems to be underrated from what I've heard. All the range #s theyve put out are supposedly calculated with 1000lbs of payload. But we'll need to see some real world testing done first.

9. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

I feel like trailers will come with batteries very shortly after the trucks start being sold. Essentially offsetting the battery drain for towing. Wouldn't that make the most sense?

Scott likes this.
  10. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

The hummer is growing on me. The price is not. Registered with insurance it will be north of $150k cdn. That's gross.

Scott likes this.
  11. Scott

rawr

curious...more batteries, more weight, more drain. However Im sure they'd figure the sweet spot.

12. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

BC is working out the logistics of having step rates for power depending on what time of day it is. That is great news because you can program your EV to only charge during certain hours to take advantage of cheap power. Ie: 12am to 6am. Be nice to get a full change overnight for literally a few dollars

13. Scott

rawr

My house is on Time of Day rates, why not my vehicle too!

14. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

It's a great solution for the fear of overwhelming the grid

15. RoryTate

Most likely they will. This is the struggle that Tesla et al are going through trying to convert 18 wheelers, and they haven't figured it out yet.

If and when it trickles down to the consumer level, think of how much a trailer is going to start costing (to compensate for the batteries the frame, springs, axles, tires, etc will have to be beefed up, adding more weight and cost). Is your F150 going to be able to handle this weight, or will you have to step up to a 250?

You'll pay a lot for the truck as it is, now add on the trailer. Oh, and you'll have to charge your trailer as well, and the infrastructure just doesn't exist to accomodate a truck and trailer yet, let alone charge a truck and trailer at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  16. 17

teenage dirtbag

better option would be the use regen from the trailer coasting/ braking to charge the battery bank in the truck quicker

Scott likes this.
  17. 17

teenage dirtbag

I mean it’s a shit load of money but so are all high end gaudy shit, raptors TRX etc

18. Gerald

It's not a truck, but I'm waiting on delivery of a Tesla Model 3 and I'm PUMPED for it. It would have been a Hyundai Ioniq5 if Hyundai could get their shit together with it a little more. Either way, electric cars are the shit.

Scott likes this.
  19. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I love that the question was posed by an Oil Sands employee.

20. KMD

KMD

I would worry about the being able to use a truck for a truck, towing capacity and load. If I wanted to take my truck and trailer across the country how many spare batteries would I need and gas for my generator/ charger to get through Northern ON. Maybe they will make RVs with diesel generators that will plug in to the tow vehicle and charge while towing :lol:

21. Grifter

Bluh?

I worry that the question was posed by an oilsands employee.... At least ask about hydrogen or something..... :lol:

Judas.

:lol: Had to.

KMD likes this.
  22. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

I have first day reservations for cybertruck, lightning and hummer. I will buy one of them.

Just because I work in energy doesn't mean I don't see the transition?

23. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

Actually there are enough chargers that you can drive coast to coast. 250km or less between chargers.

https://www.suncor.com/en-ca/news-and-stories/our-stories/were-charged-up-canadas-electric-highway

24. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

Grifter likes this.
  25. billybob

billybob
    [OP]

I want the cybertruck the most I think. Different, long range and fast as fuck boiiiii

26. KMD

KMD

there are a lot around but I am just not sold on them yet there are thing I don't like and things I do. I love the tech and the performance of an electric car the torque delivery has me sold sold that is why I LOVE diesel engines. But the range of the batteries and electric motor life. If I am traveling I don't want to stop for hours in some shit hole like the *Petro-Can in Athabasca AB to wait for my car to charge up while the crack heads circle and beg for change.

*That was just am example I don't know if it's a shit hole or not.

27. Grifter

Bluh?

28. Grifter

Bluh?

Athabasca is actually really nice. Couldn't have chosen a worse example of a shithole! Grassland or something would be more appropriate.

29. KMD

KMD

I just looked at the map I have no idea that's why the disclaimer :lol:

Grifter likes this.
  30. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Just seemed ironic!

I know when my sister lived in Oshawa back when GM was there, I’d get glares driving up in my Toyota. I just assume there are similar loyalties in oil land.

31. KMD

KMD

This is how I get rid of my oil now after an oil change.
    [​IMG]
    How does it work on these new trucks?
    Popular Science has never treated me wrong

32. RoryTate

I know I wouldn't want to be in McBride BC after dark for 10 hours waiting for my truck to charge. :)

KMD and Grifter like this.
  33. KMD

KMD

Or Down Town Prince George you wouldn't get out alive the bicycle crack heads would have the truck stripped of all metal as soon as the sun sets and the walking dead meth heads would take care of any human life after that.
    The charging stations are going to be like scenes out of Escape from L.A but without Snake Plissken it will be ugly.
    Dog down town is ugly now I can hardly wait until they try to "spruce" it up with Free Charging Stations :lol: "MONORAIL" !

RoryTate likes this.