Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

That sounds like something a conservative grandmother would repeat after reading it on facebook :lol:

Details on these vacations? I'm out of the loop

2. Duggan

Grifter likes this.
  3. Duggan

And that sounds like something someone who doles out rusty trombones would say.

boing and Boots like this.
  4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

5. Duggan

No, it wouldn't be cheap at all, but if you are going to break ethics laws and travel to a lobbyist's private island, at least get him to pay for it.

Also, that fucking dance of JT is probably my favourite gif of him. I will say, we should all be proud of him for not doing brownface on that trip.

6. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Realistically, Scheer fucked up the election. His party would use any excuse to eject him as the leader. I'm guessing immediately after the election, he was asked to step down by his party but he said no so this is being used to drive him out.

JT has fucked up plenty but still has an approval rating that wins the Liberals elections.

Politics.

Smokey likes this.
  7. 17

teenage dirtbag

My thoughts exactly. Scheer really was arrogant enough to think he still had a chance. Good for the CPC for giving him the boot instead of rallying around a sinking ship like the GOP

8. Michael

Hole digger

I really hope peter MacKay steps up here and goes for consecutive leadership

HairyAss likes this.
  9. C. Mike Hunt

Thoughts on Michael Chong?

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Whenever I think of his judgement in using government helicopters for transportation on fishing trips. I mean, he's probably the best shot they've got but it's sad that there's not a fresh new face.

11. Duggan

I am 100% serious when I say that JT could go in, pee on one of his cabinet ministers while in the House and still come out as the leader of the Libs.

Grifter likes this.
  12. Duggan

He isn't fresh at all, but at list his path of nepotism is on par with JT. At least he is smart though, and likely could say he is using filtered water and reusable Swell bottles without stuttering and looking like he is jacking off an invisible horse.

I think if we look at everyone who is potentially in the running, there is going to be some kind of previous tie in. I don't think Ambrose would be a terrible choice either. Don't know anything about O'Toole.

13. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Be interesting to see how a leaderless opposition affects the minority government.

14. C. Mike Hunt

HIs role in creating the CPC is all I need to know about his credibility.

15. LMAC

_

it wont they are off till what Middle of Jan they will have a replacement by then

16. Duggan

I think Scheer's review was slated for April and he said that he would stay on that long if needed. I don't think it is going to do much for the shaking things up for at least 12-18 months. It is really going to depend on how the new leader aligns, if at all with the Bloc, and to a lesser extent NDP.

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Still gonna take time for a new leader to get into the swing of things

Scheer sure did a lot of damage here. Not only did he reinforce the "conservatives are corrupt" narrative that Trump is creating down south but he wasted a bunch of time refusing to step down right away.

Grifter likes this.
  18. Duggan

The Liberals are corrupt too, so much so that there have been 2 ethics violations, and our finance ministers company miraculously got more government contracts. SCN, I am sure there are more.

If the CPC gets in, it will just be more of their cronies who get the contract. Unfortunately, that is the way it is likely always going to go.

Scheer dug his own grave when he said that if the leader doesn't win, they should resign immediately. This was when he was leading in the polls, and thought he was talking about JT, not himself. I don't think that many CPC supporters really saw Scheer as the answer.

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

yeah I'm not saying there isn't corruption on both sides, just that most people now assume conservatives are corrupt because of the shitshow in the US. Trump has set conservatism back 30 years :(

20. 17

teenage dirtbag

Rona Ambrose would be a great leader and MacKay wouldn’t be too far behind.

21. boing

I was supporting O'Tool in the last race but I liked Ambrose when she was filling in.
    I want to like Makay but there is something about him that just doesn't feel right
    I am just waiting to see who is throwing their names in the ring and I will read their platforms and decide for the next round. I just hope we don't end up with another mess like last time with some nobody just squeaking in.

Grifter likes this.
  22. Duggan

I am not sure how many people would link our CPC to Trump, but do see your point.

Grifter likes this.
  23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It depends on the candidate. I thought of Scheer as a mini-Trump. I would have voted for MacKay.

24. Duggan

Scheer is more like a mini Ted Cruz.

TheOldskoo likes this.
  25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The world is weird right now. If Trump avoids impeachment, he could very well end up getting elected again. The UK just re-elected Boris Johnson. There seems to be a worldwide movement towards far-right ideals dragging along with it more open racism, anti-science mentalities, and general hate towards people with brown skin from "shithole countries".

It does make me wonder if the CPC will think they didn't go "right enough" and will find someone even more right-leaning than Scheer as their next leader. Doug Ford, anyone?

I view myself as a centrist when it comes to politics which is why folks like MacKay and Ambrose are more appealing but I'm definitely not representative of a party that chose Scheer as their leader in the first place with Maxime Bernier a close second.

Maybe it's time to move to Finland.

chainsaw and Wayne like this.
  26. Wayne

Agreed, this is the most upsetting thing I see from society today. There are very few centrists who can see validity on both sides of the political isle. The majority now is HARD LEFT and HARD RIGHT. Nothing in between.

27. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

It's a lot easier to peddle fear than it is to sell confidence, and moderation gets only moderate enthusiasm, especially when the blame can be placed on people from outside of our borders.

28. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I submit into evidence:

0B17154D-CEE8-4B72-B17B-EEB4FBC9DAE3.jpeg

29. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

That was posted by a Republican Trump supporter I know who posted that to Facebook. It’s an interesting one - history has shown that other than perjury, Clinton was not really guilty of anything and actually he was nearly forced into perjury to try and save the life of both himself and Lewinski (not the literal life but one worth living). On the flip side, I fully believe Trump to be guilty.

But... it goes to show that this process being a farce is nothing new.

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Ol' Peter MacKay is back. I really wish he didn't use those military choppers for fishing trip taxis so I could more easily support him :o

31. C. Mike Hunt

How adorable. He's coming back for his bastard child.

32. Duggan

Is that your only hold up? I think he would certainly do a better job than Julian when it comes do getting our spending in check.

tribeachpunk likes this.
  33. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I would certainly give him a chance. I have to see what his views are after being MIA for a while but if he's reasonable, I'm definitely open minded. I'd love to see a conservative candidate that puts the environment ahead of big business but I think that's a pipe dream.

34. Duggan

I think, much like anything, there needs to be a happy medium. I don't mind the carbon tax, but don't have it on home heating where that is a necessity. I am interested to see who else enters the ring for them. Any one is better than Scheer, I believe that MacKay would have a good rapport with other world leaders, where I could never picture Scheer having a conversation with Trump.

35. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah a turd would be better than Scheer :rofl:

Off topic - I read that Alberta set an all time record on electricity consumption this week with the cold you guys are getting?