1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

This reminds me. Last Saturday, I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So, I tied an onion to my belt which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel. And in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say. Now, where were we? Oh, yeah! The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Nick84, Scott and KMD like this.
  2. KMD

KMD

IYO...that means nothing. IMO we should all go back to 70's powered V8's and aircooled VW's see it means nothing
    We didn't buy Alberta nothing Canada bought that and got HOSED every step of the way and while it is being built it is moving at a snails pace because they had to start all at step one because it was canceled by the liberals and then restarted more wasted time and money.
    Gas and Oil is not going anywhere if you think batteries and wind and solar are going to replace it in your lifetime you will not see it. You will own an electric car only because you are a city dweller and a yuppie. I have questions about these cars like how long the motors last? the cost to replace? same for Batteries? maintenance costs? what is the cost of a bank of tesla batteries 1717

3. KMD

KMD

Not what you were looking for Grampa?

4. 17

teenage dirtbag

I don’t own a Tesla, I have no idea.

But you’re losing focus and thinking that oil is just used for cars and heating homes.

5. KMD

KMD

Your losing focus thinking that I would be silly enough to think that you would be rich enough to own a Tesla I was just wondering because of the other reason?
    So let's not lose focus here :bounce:

6. Grifter

Bluh?

True. It's also used for making almost everything, including our clothes. At least the company I work for is already utilizing hydrogen and is getting set for the pivot. It's already a byproduct of producing diesel. :lol:

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Oil & Gas isn't going anywhere but I'd certainly not want to invest billions more into the primary source of carbon emissions when the earth is turning into an oven because of carbon emissions and all signs point to moving towards a carbon neutral way of life.

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in zeppelins, dropping coins on people. And one day, I seen J. D. Rockefeller flyin’ by– so I run out of the house with a big washtub, and—Anyway, about my washtub. I just used it that morning to wash my turkey which in those days was known as a ‘walking bird.’ We’d always have walking bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings. Cranberries, ‘injun eyes,’ and yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we’d all watch football, which in those days was called ‘baseball.’

Nick84 likes this.
  9. 17

teenage dirtbag

I don’t deal with those kind or know anything about them enough to comment

10. 17

teenage dirtbag

exactly.
    It’s in single use plastics and with the continued push for sustainable items the market will dwindle there too. A pivot to alternate energy is a smart move

Grifter likes this.
  11. Grifter

Bluh?

I agree. It's definitely good to put your eggs in more than one basket.

That being said... Unless people plan on making major life changes... Oil and gas is going to be here for a looong time. We can reduce it's use, I'm fine with that and even support it. I'm not here wrapping my fist on a desk saying it's the only way to go. But like has been said, it's not going away anytime soon. But 100% I believe we should be working towards other options. But we just can't flick a switch is all.

Plus, I don't think Steve is ready to stop driving his car, putting new tires on it and fuelling it with farts and rainbow unicorn tears. :lol:

Just saying. :lol:

INFOGRAPHIC_Petroleum-products-montage_1300px_v2-1163x1536.jpg

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'll buy a Tesla or something full electric as soon as the infrastructure is built out. Should have taken the $20B we wasted on Trans Mountain so far and built out a coast to coast car charging network.

13. Grifter

Bluh?

Wooden tires? Whatcha gonna lube it with?

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You're talking like oil is going to be banned or something. Supply and demand. Learn about it lol

15. KMD

KMD

But for some reason you bring up my knowledge or lack there of the oi industry and oil products, I feel like the oil industry's Hank Hill.
    Now I will admit I am no expert on the petroleum industry but do know that there are more uses than what you listed above and not just because of GrifterGrifter post :lol:
    With the way the world is going you would think you would be getting your industry right on top of that vehicle racket just to get ahead of the game and not be left behind when everything goes carbon zero. You should be mining all the lithium instead of oil to run those cars.
    And for your spank bank.
    Now if you want to talk wood I can talk to you about wood for hours :brows:

16. Grifter

Bluh?

Your attitude towards Alberta's economy and the Conservative plan of investing in it. Think it over.
    You don't want any money invested into the oil industry. Plain and simple.

Oil and gas is everywhere in our lives. It's not going anywhere. Which I also recognize you've said. Again, I'm not saying "it's the only solution spend hundreds of billions on it, go balls deep!" No. I'm not saying that.

I am saying you are very "fuck oil, fuck alberta". Then stop enjoying the benefits from both.... :shrug2:

KMD likes this.
  17. KMD

KMD

We have charging stations here at our superstore and they are always empty. I am not saying they are never used I have just never seen them used. My wife drives by them every day multiple times and same thing.
    Just an observation, there are not a lot of EV's around here.

18. Grifter

Bluh?

Where does the power come from? Lots of it in Alberta is through *gasp* oil and gas. Natural gas mostly.

KMD likes this.
  19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The oil companies should be the ones paying for oil infrastructure, not you or I. They've already pillaged our country and have made billions in the process leaving behind a mess you have to pay to clean up (abandoned wells)

I don't want to see us continue to dump money into a resource that is guaranteed to see a decline in demand in the coming decades. It's not going to be replaced but we aren't going to need nearly as much as we do now.

20. KMD

KMD

Most of BC's power is Hydro Electric. But we dam the hell out of a pile of rivers to generate that power and we are building another one right now, Site C that is of course over budget.

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Very much a chicken or egg situation. People are less likely to buy an EV because of the cost and lack of charging stations. In my opinion the government should be subsidizing EVs, renewables and alternate energy sources, not O&G.

Coal here. We need to get behind fusion reactors. Those will be a game changer. Power of the sun right here on earth :bowdown:

22. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Hydro is good but like you hinted at we are probably destroying key ecosystems with them.

23. 17

teenage dirtbag

EVs still use traditional 12v batteries, my wife’s hybrid has an agm starting battery in the trunk along with the hybrid battery pack under the rear seats. The market isn’t going anywhere for a long long time, and the majority of the stuff I deal in is commercial which is going to take even longer to adopt to full ev. I do also deal with lithium (recreational and motive) if I absolutely have to but transporting them and storage is a transport Canada audit waiting to happen and I’d rather not have another department of government crawling all over my facility any more than I currently do :lol:

KMD likes this.
  24. Grifter

Bluh?

ylu1pmzlavz21.jpg

KMD likes this.
  25. Gerald

I'm currently waiting on delivery of my Tesla Model 3. While it's definitely more expensive up front, it'll be less than the lifetime ownership cost of a civic by a country mile. It helps that my new home has solar and that I have access to level 2 charging at work. But I couldn't be happier to be moving away from fossil fuels.

26. J0e Th0rnton

That debate made my brain cells die a little.

The saving grace was Blanchet on an entertainment scale. He knows nobody will insult Quebec back and have to pull their punches so he just talked shit to everyone.

Trudeau did his best Trump impersonation trying to talk over everyone and the moderator while not answering questions and outright lying on a few of them. He snuck the word "Harper " in less than usual and tried to shoehorn in "abortion and anti vax" in a completely unrelated topic because he realized he wasn't going to get a chance.

On a shit note, they talked about environment, Indigenous and systemic race issues for way too long, over an hour and then only gave 2 minutes to talk about housing, which is easily the most important issue this election.

Smokey, KMD and Grifter like this.
  27. KMD

KMD

I tried to listen to it but I got side tracked with my contractor and had to talk flooring and kitchen stuff for a main chunk and had to rely on the twitter-rhythms for the rest that's why I was a little riled up last night.

28. Grifter

Bluh?

I agree with Blanchet being entertaining. Was good to see Trudeau getting so frustrated. They had him on defence the entire time and all he could do was point at Harper for any issues, even when fact checked a ton of what he said was wrong. Loved Singhs digs at him. "How can you take a knee one day and take indigenous children to court the next?" Was probably the line of the night. O'Toole's comments of "Leading is not putting yourself first, it's putting people first" was also great.

I do also sadly think that Paul was probably the winner of the night.

But it was pretty much Trudeau constantly not listening to the moderator and trying to overtalk everyone.

KMD likes this.
  29. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My it’s by mail packet arrived just in time!

KMD likes this.
  30. C. Mike Hunt

31. KMD

KMD

I knew C. Mike HuntC. Mike Hunt would have have that posted and as I posted on Twitter I said good riddance at least they kicked her out not like the liberals do with their candidates.

Onto other news.
    Very good read , people should take time to read this...

Grifter likes this.
  32. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

All these Twitter posts are making it hard to decide who not to vote for.

33. Grifter

Bluh?

Kinda funny how he can post stuff and nobody bats an eye. You or I post stuff and we get shit on for being glued to the news... :lol:.

KMD likes this.
  34. KMD

KMD

I know but when it's all left wing it files under the dog pound :leaving:

:lol5:

Grifter likes this.
  35. 17

teenage dirtbag

Got my voting out of the way today

and got in a fender bender on my way back home:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    KMD and Grifter like this.