1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. KMD

KMD

Okay, I thought you were on about the working from the US

That one, I don't think she even is dual citizen.
    The CPC has ridden all the Liberal leaders that had Dual citizenship HARD the same way the Libs did Scheer with his
    Dion
    Ignatieff
    Scheer... 1717 is right if you are running for leader of a federal party you should only hold a Canadian passport.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  2. Arod

I think that is a complicated statement.

If you were born in Canada and left, don't come back proclaiming to be a patriot just to run for office.

If you were born elsewhere, moved to Canada (while maintaining citizenship in their birth country) and love it enough you want to be its advocate in the highest level of office that I feel that shouldn't be encumbered.

Hell even my kids can apply for dual nationality. Not that I would encourage it but should that stop them from running for party leadership?

Grifter likes this.
  3. 17

teenage dirtbag

i get your point but i still dont like it :o

i dont know if voters would be able to swallow the "born elsewhere" pill either.

4. Grifter

Bluh?

They did with Schwarzenegger. Not quite the same scale, but just an example.

5. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Schwarzenegger can not run for president because of this, though the rules allowed for guvinator.

6. 17

teenage dirtbag

not even close to the same :rofl:

7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

California has roughly the same population as Canada and its GDP is almost twice that of Canada.

Grifter likes this.
  8. 17

teenage dirtbag

my point was more that Arnold has massive fame spanning multiple generations

It’s like the American people being stupid enough to elect someone to a high political office just because they recognize the candidate from tv, can you imagine?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  9. Grifter

Bluh?

One could argue the same thing about Trudueau. :shrug2:

Would he really have been elected to his position if he wasn't coming in with a famous name, that held recognition across multiple generations? He's the son of a Prime Minister that's one of the more memorable if not arguably the most Famous prime minister from our countries history.

Would we really have elected him if he wasn't famous, and carried just his resume which really holds no merit?

I'm not trying to turn this into a shit on Trudeau thing. I'm just confident my argument actually holds weight here....

10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

LOL @ you not trying to turn this into a shit on Trudeau thing GrifterGrifter . :lol:

KMD likes this.
  11. Grifter

Bluh?

I've been good lately! Kept a low profile. Come on!

:lol:

12. 17

teenage dirtbag

i never knew anything about him when i voted for him in 15, never watched him on tv or really knew what he did prior to that year. albeit i wasnt super into politics back then either.

13. Wayne

He was young, liberal, and he felt like some energy that could finally move the needle forward a little bit.

He's made many mistakes, this vaccine mess is fucked, but again...given the other options I would do it again and be confident in my choice.

Hopefully there is some decent competition to consider next time around...

14. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

[​IMG]

KMD likes this.
  15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

In all fairness, the entire conservative platform for the past five years has been 'attack trudeau to distract from the fact we have no plans' so it's hard to blame them for going there constantly lol

HairyAss likes this.
  16. 17

teenage dirtbag

they havent realized how tired some people are of seeing attack ads. Its a weak campaign strategy at the very best. more and more younger generation voters are coming out and i doubt attack ads resonate with them

17. KMD

KMD

:lol:

18. C. Mike Hunt

I am so glad we kicked this guy's ass to the curb...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  19. chainsaw

20. KMD

KMD

Oh Damn it what did I miss?

21. C. Mike Hunt

22. Grifter

Bluh?

So if a Liberal in power said their goal was to prevent the Conservatives from ever taking power you'd oppose them?

KMD, tribeachpunk and Nick84 like this.
  23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

For me, it’s the blatant arrogance in the first 10 seconds or so that really bothers me. “If I wanted to...”. His arrogance bubbled over while he was Prime Minister - such an egomaniac.

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  24. KMD

KMD

Have you seen our narcacstic PM?
    Here is a little snippet

Nick84 and Grifter like this.
  25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The first clip with Harper is about him talking all about himself as if he is the best, smartest person ever. It’s a very personal assessment of his own greatness.

The second clip is weird, for sure, but is about Quebec vs Alberta. Trudeau even listed Mulroney, a PC Prime Minister as one of his examples of a great PM... not himself. The second clip also has some odd editing which is also a rip off that something was edited out.

What else ya got, KMDKMD ? If we were talking about opinions on Quebec vs Alberta, your video clip makes sense.

Look - every prime minister is going to have a bit of an ego. Any leader I’ve met or observed in my life does. Harper was just on another level when it comes to his opinion of himself. Sort of like Trump.

26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The joke is on him because he absolutely destroyed the conservative party and alienated people like me who don't swing far right or left and actually voted for him. His goal was to create a long term conservative institutional force and his outcome was leaving a party in total disarray that is still struggling to have some kind of a consistent platform six years later.

27. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Pretty unbelievable to see a Quebec politician talk up Quebec while trying to get elected there. What's next, a Toronto Maple Leaf fan talking shit on Montreal? :rofl:

28. KMD

KMD

HairyAssHairyAss Comparing Harper to Trump? I don't see it I see Trump's arrogance more comparable to Trudeau's

I thought Harper was quite humble, Trudeau is SO arrogant the way the whole liberal party has been running the HOC or not running it. They will not answer questions. They haven't tabled a budget in 2 years and we are approaching 2 Trillion dollars of debt we are now at $1.8x Trillion I think
    How many days has Trudeau actually worked since becoming PM?
    I was just giving a video example of his arrogance and that one was a good one with a couple together there are a lot out there. Just about everyone I see I want to throw something at the TV :lol: Now I know why my grandfather wasn't allowed to watch Grand Prix Wrestling on Saturday afternoons after he had his heart attack when I was a kid. He used to get so mad at the TV he would yell at the wrestlers and his blood pressure would get so high his face would turn beet red. But I am lucky I don't have BP issues or yell at the TV, I still miss my Gramp cause typing this made me tear up :(

And one more? I didn't see this one the first time

29. tribeachpunk

I didn't care for Harper back then, but I'd happily donate to, campaign for, and vote for him these days...

KMD, Grifter and Nick84 like this.
  30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Even after seeing him talk like a jackass in that video above? I don't care what beliefs you have, I don't want anyone that speaks like he did there leading my country.

31. tribeachpunk

Yup, even then. I don't see what the fuss is about the video.. I hear a guy talking about trying to build a lasting political party. I assume all political leaders want the same thing.

Grifter, Nick84 and KMD like this.
  32. KMD

KMD

The party needs a strong leader, a big problem for Erin is he is not getting enough media coverage because of the pandemic (and JT has bought the MSM) and people don't know who he is or what he and the the party want to do.
    Has anyone here seen the CPC's Canada's recovery plan?
    There are people that have the skills and support but the won't step up. Michelle Rempel Garner would be a good choice but she is married to a US citizen so that would be a downfall and Pierre Poilievre who started to run and then stepped down.
    Dr. Leslyn Lewis was another Strong choice but she didn't have the coverage during the leadership race that she should have had in the West, she was my second choice only because she didn't have any political experience but look who is PM now right?

33. KMD

KMD

Another thought..
    The Erin is acting soft to try to bring in the center left swing voters. They know they already have right but they need the swing votes to win an election
    This is driving the hard right party members crazy esp after Erin kicked Sloan out

34. Grifter

Bluh?

100%. Unless you're Liberal and then feeling this way.... it's more righteous and saving the world and unicorns and stuff.

35. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I want a leader that wants to improve everything for all Canadians regardless of what political belief system they subscribe to. The only thing that keeps our system going is the back and forth between leaderships. A permanent conservative government to me is as terrifying as a permanent liberal one.

Harper's goal should have been to make Canada better and include all Canadians points of views in the process. Sounds like he was more concerned about himself and the politics aspect of the job. I'm more than a little disgusted I supported him for as long as I did knowing that's what his mindset was.

chainsaw likes this.