Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. boing

But but they bought carbon credits :wtf:

Smokey and tribeachpunk like this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Ask Andrew Scheer how it's a problem. Check out his blog post from 2005 where he's trying to discredit Governor General Michaëlle Jean for having citizenship in another country

[​IMG]

https://web.archive.org/web/20051208133657/http:/andrewscheermp.blogspot.com/

I guess it's ok as long as he gives up his US citizenship before Canada could possible have an American Prime Minister :lol:

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You have a lot of experience in transporting and securing heads of state? lol

HairyAss likes this.
  4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

With press, security, aides, interns, those seats fill up fast. He also claims to be doing carbon offsets for both planes which the conservative plane isnt doing for their one plane.

So, in theory, the conservative plane is doing more damage.

I dont sit here and defend him to the death, I dont agree with some of his policies, i dont agree with some of his decisions hes made in the past 4 years. I think Canada deserves much better leadership but unfortunately I dont see that in any of the candidates this time around.

HairyAss and Grifter like this.
  6. Wayne

I hope sheer doesn't get in, but his dual citizenship should have no role in that at all. It's not an issue imo

Grifter likes this.
  7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

He's been super sketchy on his work history too. Claims to be an insurance broker but never obtained a brokers license. The failing to mention being a US citizen kind of adds to that sketchyness a bit.

Also GoochGooch is selling insurance a more qualifying career than teaching when it comes to being PM? lol. Scheer is a career politician

8. Duggan

I feel like this week is going to heavy on the mud slinging

9. Gooch

No not at all. To be Honest, I have no respect for anyone on the ballot. I wish Canada's brightest, most educated, successful, self made people would run. How does it come to this.

Smokey likes this.
  10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

If anyone's sitting on 'dirt' it's time to dish it

11. Duggan

That's my thoughts. Sheer is actually a robot and JT is going to get #metoo'd

12. Smokey

While I lean more center right, I can certainly understand how some people dont care for Scheer, why he won the Conservative leadership race is beyond me, he has the personality of a potato.

That being said, how somebody who has not been in a coma for the last 4 years could possibly vote for Trudeau is absolutely fucking mind boggling. If you really can't see through his virtue signaling bullshit act, you really dont deserve to vote.

I actually said to my wife during the debate that Singh was honestly the most likeable one, too bad the NDP couldnt understand a balance sheet if their life depended on it. Obviously May is straight insane.

I like a lot of Berniers ideas, abolishing corporate welfare, stricter immigration policies(dont really care about volume as long as they are properly vetted and contributing taxpayers), eliminating foreign aid. Sadly he has no chance so a vote his way is wasted.

I'll be unhappily voting conservative, hoping for a minority so none of these idiots have too much power.

boing and Gooch like this.
  13. Smokey

14. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I voted Liberal hoping for a minority. I think in the end both results are about the same.

And your assessment of me as a human for voting for Trudeau matches my assessment of you voting for Scheer.

15. Grifter

Bluh?

16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Singh would get my vote if I had more confidence in the NDP but going to go Liberal again this time around. I'm still holding out hopes that the conservatives get it together at some point but I couldn't vote for Scheer and not feel gross. I tried to watch the debate as open minded as possible but when he opened by ignoring the first question and just launching into a personal attack on Trudeau, it irked me. I have no patience for that behaviour in politics. The current conservative platform seems to just be 'attack whatever the liberals have done' ... this isn't America, take that shit elsewhere

C. Mike Hunt and Grifter like this.
  17. Duggan

Singh is fresh, but I feel like the NDP would dig an even deeper deficit hole. This election is voting for the least worst person. He was great in the debate IMO.

Boots, you say "attack whatever the liberals have done" and yet that is pretty much how the Liberals won last time by attacking what Harper did. The electoral reform was a big stick to be waiving around last election, but months after JT got in, the project was scrapped and the head found out the day it was announced.

May is nuts, if you think you can balance a budget in 5 years, have education be free, invest in expensive green energy without a hybrid solution until we can ween off the dependency of oil, you were smoking some good shit long before JT made it legal.

A minority is going to be interesting, but I also think it could be 4 years of stalling. I did like that so many candidates wanted to end reliance on foreign oil. If we actually are self sufficient, the revenues would accelerate our economy and lead to a faster transition to sustainable/renewable energy. Or we could keep importing from Saudi Arabia and supporting a nation that basically ticks off every single box that Canada, as a nation, is strongly against.

18. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Really? If the #metoo stuff about JT is true, he should be chucked in jail. If you want to participate in this debate, put your big boy pants on instead of making inane comments like that one.

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

He definitely dropped the ball on electoral reform. He has done some good things though. Assisted death, cannabis legalization and the carbon tax to name a few. I know the carbon tax is unliked by many, but it's necessary. I'm all for us pushing full steam ahead into renewables and the only way that's gonna happen is if our current wasteful ways start to hit our wallets.

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I don't play team politics like that. I'm a conservative who's party went down the shitter so I lean Liberal for now. I'm not supporting a pedophile no matter what team they play for.

Wayne and Grifter like this.
  21. Grifter

Bluh?

I am only trying to get things going. Which worked. Hence the :lol: at the end of my comments. No need to get all name cally hurty mcfeelings.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  22. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Exactly - you have a hard time contributing without going to childish comments. Please be quiet - adults are talking.

23. Grifter

Bluh?

Coming from the guy that lives in America, do you think your opinion warrants any merit? This is a discussion about the Canadian election. Being a condescending prick about it when you don't even live in the country is about as effective as taking a blind man duck hunting.

RC is very quiet these days. If you can't take a pot stir every now and then, you're welcome to keep on shutting the fuck up Yankee doodle.

24. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Ha! I was wondering when you'd bring up that one. If having a link to the US is an issue, I suggest you start your question with Andrew Scheer.

A couple of points:

- I'm being a condescending prick only because you made an assertion that I would blindly support a known pedophile/sex offender. You seem to think that is just "stirring the pot" which makes me question your ability to participate in a grown-up debate.
    - I am not a "Yankee Doodle". I'm a Canadian Citizen. I care about the future of Canada and do plan on returning. There are all kinds of reasons why we could say people shouldn't be able to vote in the election. I understand why "not currently living in Canada" comes up but I don't agree that I shouldn't be allowed to vote because of that.

Regardless, where I currently live has no bearing on the conversation going on about the Election. I could live on the moon and still have an opinion about it.

clicker666 and Grifter like this.
  25. Duggan

The carbon tax is fine, but it needs tweaking. It shouldn't be charged on home heating for low income earners in provinces where it is the only choice, especially if it is the cleanest choice, ie natural gas. People make the switch to heat pumps here in NS, which is awesome on a individual level, but now they are being run by electricity generated from coal. So if there is exemption from carbon tax for the big corps, are we really any better off?

If I want to drive a vehicle that has 500hp, should I be subjected to paying a little more at the pumps. Yup, absolutely.

clicker666 and Wayne like this.
  26. 17

teenage dirtbag

You have no problem with Scheer being a US citizen and running for PM but you have a problem with a Canadian citizen voting in a Canadian election?!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  27. Grifter

Bluh?

For the record, seeing as how my posts got taken way out of context. I was only trying to get some drama and discussion going. Long boring day at the office today, was just trying to get boots and hairyass going. They are both staunch Liberal supporters, I'm a staunch Conservative, OBVIOUSLY.

The whole while I was liking Steve's (and others posts) getting some insight into how he used to be a conservative, blah blah blah. I was mostly being sarcastic the entire time, but obviously it didn't read that way and my posts that were half hearted were taken seriously, when in fact they were not meant to be. The joys of written word versus vocal conversation I guess.

Do I mean everything I said? No.

Do I think hairy ass should be able to vote? Yes. He's a citizen. Do I take his views less seriously than I take Steve's? Yes. He doesn't live here. The vote doesn't effect him as much as it does you, Steve, or me. Is he entitled to it? Yes. He likely has family that it will effect, and like we all know, he's a Canadian at the end of the day.

This election means a lot to me. It will play a HUGE part in the next few years of Alberta's future. And in turn, my families. This province will likely suffer greatly if Trudeau is elected again. But that being said, I stirred things up today because the thread has been quiet for a few days. I enjoy this thread, and I gain insight into things I may not think of on my own, in my own day to day routines. Things I wouldn't think would typically have an impact on the average Joe like myself, but someone voices it on here and "oh shit, I didn't think of it that way". Christ, I've been on this forum for years, I still enjoy it and I still get something from it. But by now I figured you all would know when I'm just trying to liven things up. :lol:. Maybe because of the few RCers that are left, you folks are the ones I haven't actually met.

For one, I'm not a child. I'm not an idiot. I'm not a troll. (Ok, 90% of the time I'm not a troll. We all dabble from time to time. Pdizzle anyone?)
    I would never try to condemn someone because of their political strife's or views. I do get annoyed at how Liberal RC can be at times, but hey, that's one of the joys of living in Canada. We are all free to have our own political standpoints. I can imagine most of you folk would feel the same if you came to Alberta. But I recognize it for what it is. A difference of opinion.

Hope that clears things up.

clicker666, KLD and Wayne like this.
  28. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

All that debate made me realize was that the outliers like the Bloc and NDP have candidates that are exponentially better people / speakers than the liberals or conservatives. I'd never vote for either of them but damn, they actually answered the questions posed to them with relevant replies, and really worked the others. The libs and cons should be looking for their twins. They were the only two that really seemed like real people. I mean May would be an awesome student council president and Bernier would be a kickass Grand Dragon, but Blanchett could easily square off against world leaders if he realized the world extends beyond Quebec, and Singh would be great with Canadians who are furious that the NDP made a bunch of promises incapable of being kept.

clicker666, KLD and Wayne like this.
  29. Smokey

Did you manage to miss the 3700 times he mentioned Harper, or the 23462514983 Trudeau has completely ignored questions in QP, press conferences, town halls and instead spouted off scripted talking points?

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah I want a politician that answers the questions and doesn't dodge or change the subject.

31. dpwu32

Trash elf

Trudeau was no better, IMO. Trudeau and Scheer might just as well fuck and get it over with.

80% of the time that they were speaking, it was just slinging shit at one another and/or dodging questions.

Singh was the winner, but the fiscal ineptitude of the NDP won’t let me vote that way.

I cannot and will not vote for Trudeau. I think he’s a smarmy shit, that is fake through and through. There’s been too much financial bleeding in the wrong places for me to vote Liberal.

Bernier and Blanchett are both waaaay too skewed in the wrong directions for me, and are not options

I had considered supporting the greens, if for nothing else, in hopes of some fresh perspective. Realizing that their platform includes a guaranteed basic income and free post-secondary means they’re out.

I’m left with Scheer. I don’t like him, and I don’t have as much confidence in the PC’s as I once did. They seem to have pushed a bit further out in the weeds than I’d like. I’ll be voting PC, but won’t enjoy doing so.

Smokey and boing like this.
  32. C. Mike Hunt

33. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

34. Grifter

Bluh?

35. Duggan

Has anyone considered what a meeting between Trump and Singh would be like. I don't think old Donny could hold it together.

If Singh was the leader of either one of the front runners, I think he would be tipping towards a majority. He should also simply go by "The Jag".