Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Surprised Trudeau didn't force the election to take advantage of O'Toole being a virtual unknown

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It only makes sense if he thinks he has momentum to get a majority. The numbers aren't there yet IMO even with O'Toole being unknown.

3. Gerald

I'm not sure that it really matters anymore who is leader of any major party. Identity politics has taken a strong hold in Canada and people seem to be blindly voting and supporting parties regardless of leadership and platforms.

4. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/rob-anders-charged-cra-tax-evasion-court-calgary-1.5742965

Former Calgary MP Rob Anders faces tax evasion charges

Former Calgary MP Rob Anders — a long-time crusader for lower taxes who helped found the Conservative Party of Canada — has been charged amid allegations of tax evasion during the time he held his seat, federal prosecutors have confirmed to CBC News.

Anders faces five charges laid earlier in September under the Income Tax Act with offences alleged between 2012 and 2018, as first reported by the National Post on Tuesday.

The former Calgary West MP held his seat from 1997 to 2015, first for the Reform Party and then for the Conservative Party.

He faces:

• Three charges of making a false or deceptive statement for the tax years 2012, 2013 and 2014.
    • One charge of obtaining or claiming a refund to which he was not entitled or in amounts greater than to which he was entitled for the tax years 2012, 2013 and 2014.
    • One charge of evading payment of taxes between April 1, 2012, and June 30, 2015.
    Prosecutor Tyler Lord said the Crown will proceed summarily — meaning if Anders is found guilty, the penalties are less than proceeding by indictment.

If convicted, Anders could face up to two years in jail and fines between 50 and 200 per cent of the evaded taxes.

(more on link)

5. Grifter

Bluh?

KMD and Nick84 like this.
  6. Grifter

Bluh?

7. Grifter

Bluh?

8. Grifter

Bluh?

Nick84 likes this.
  9. 17

teenage dirtbag

It’s not “what about this”, anyone who does anything against the law should be investigated and prosecuted regardless of political affiliation. It’s not a “ win” when the other side does something illegal.

Grifter, C. Mike Hunt and chainsaw like this.
  10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

This

11. Grifter

Bluh?

It's also not about only posting about one party. I was pointing out that there are flaws on both sides of the fence but he always seems to forget that. I do agree though, it definitely isn't a win when the other side does something illegal. That was also sort of what I meant. Just pointing out the bias.

Nick84 likes this.
  12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

You pointed out flaws on both sides of the fence by posting articles about one side of the fence? Thanks?

13. 17

teenage dirtbag

It was a posted article about a influential member of the CPC doing shady shit. It wasn’t a “gotcha”, I wouldn’t have even seen the article if it wasn’t for him posting it as I try to keep my social media feed politics free and rely on this site and similar ones to get my news.

for the party that calls everyone snowflakes some of you guys are pretty sensitive :lol:

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  14. Grifter

Bluh?

I'm in my man period! Leave me alone! Anybody have some wine? I feel like I need some wine and bbq chips with a side of hagendaas!

17 likes this.
  15. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...s-we-charity-and-the-canadian-government.html

Forensic analysis exonerates WE Charity and the Canadian government

Last week, Federal Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion exonerated former Finance Minister Bill Morneau of conflict of interest charges over his participation in two volunteer trips for WE Charity.

Morneau stood accused of not disclosing these trips; he maintained that he believed he had paid for them and reimbursed the charity once he learned otherwise. Mr. Dion agreed: “I accept that you genuinely believed you had paid for the entire cost of both trips, including the portion of the trip that involved the use of non-commercial chartered aircraft.”

Welcome words, but cold comfort: Mr. Morneau was still forced to resign his portfolio and his seat in the House of Commons. His demise was one of the many casualties of the rush to judgment made by politicians, the media, and ordinary Canadians about the awarding of the Canada Student Service Grant (CSSG) to WE Charity.

The biggest casualty, of course, was WE Charity itself, which has all but ceased its Canadian operations. Much of the controversy related to how and why WE Charity came to be chosen to deliver the CSSG. The media narrative was that WE Charity’s senior leaders, Marc and Craig Kielburger, approached the government with the CSSG idea to rescue the charity from financial crisis and make a personal profit themselves. But was that narrative grounded in fact, or fiction?

As a police officer and former deputy solicitor general of Ontario, I’ve overseen hundreds of complex investigations. Because of my background I was asked to examine the steps taken in selecting the organization to administer the $543M program announced in June and cancelled in July due to political controversy.

I examined more than 5,000 pages of government documents, emails and other material released by federal departments to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance, and more than 360 pages of documents WE Charity provided to the committee.

My conclusion? The evidence is clear that the government reached out to WE Charity, not the reverse. Bureaucrats examined their options, considered other organizations, like the YMCA and Shopify, but concluded that WE Charity was the right choice.

As has been documented by the finance committee, it was senior bureaucrat Rachel Wernick who contacted Craig Kielburger to discuss WE’s potential involvement in administering the program that would later be known as the CSSG. While that’s not as enticing a storyline as the generally accepted narrative, it happens to be the truth.

(more on link)

16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Shocker... it was a lame 'scandal' from the beginning.

17. KMD

KMD

Was looking for more on this

Found all this :captain: I forgot all about this account.

18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

CanadaPolitics subreddit gotta be a dark dark place lol

19. KMD

KMD

No darker than any other political place :lol5: . Just as dark as you want to make it.

20. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

21. C. Mike Hunt

The Beaverton, as always, is on point.

Sidebar: Anything after the /? in an URL can usually be deleted, it's just tracking shit.

upload_2020-12-17_10-48-48.png

22. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

yep, I’m lazy.

23. KMD

KMD

24. C. Mike Hunt

[​IMG]

No shit, Sherlock.

25. 17

teenage dirtbag

26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Just because Canada isn't seeing the worst effects of climate change doesn't mean we shouldn't still act to curb it. It's a global problem that we directly contribute to through our consumption of products that are created all over the globe.

27. KMD

KMD

yes that's why I said all stripes so I wasn't jumped on but also not just party leaders all politicians, look at the previous Enviro minister basically claiming if you say it enough and yell it loud enough people will believe you. (I didn't want to go get her quote) But The media will do this for the politicians they don't like AKA the "Right" but they let the Left just slide and say whatever.

28. Scott

rawr

29. KMD

KMD

[DEVILS ADVOCATE] [/DEVILS ADVOCATE]
    Since Scott brought up the US

Have we talked about Hunter Biden yet? :eek4:
    Was there anything to that mess with the Biden's and China?
    Will there be a Peach Mint? :usa: 'Merica Fuck yeah :lol:

So you are fine with the government lying and fear mongering to increase a tax that has no proven advantage to the reduction of our Co2 emissions?
    In ON when the Prov Liberals had their Green energy act it increased rural hydro prices so much that people were losing their homes and some had to decide between eating or heating their homes or paying rent. The mastermind behind that plan is now in Ottawa working with Trudeau on his Green New Deal .
    You want Canadians to pay a Carbon tax on products produced in other countries?
    Why are they not paying for their carbon?
    I don't see why canada should be burdened for other countries carbon footprint?
    How much does a government tax its citizens by increasing the cost of essential everyday items before it's too much?
    FYI
    I am not a climate change denier. It's changing, we are changing it, it has changed before, and it will keep changing. I just hate Taxes

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I think the environmental cost of a product has to be factored into the price so yeah I'm kind of on board with a carbon tax. Outsourcing our pollution to countries with lesser environmental regulations doesn't absolve us from the damage that is happening to the environment. Obviously there also has to be heavy pressure put on these countries to clean up their act and meet the same standards that we set for ourselves. Maybe if we do this we can kill two birds with one stone and start actually manufacturing things here in Canada again because it will no longer be substantially cheaper to do it offshore.

31. KMD

KMD