Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. 17

teenage dirtbag

What part of Scheers platform do you like?

2. Wayne

3. Gooch

The only one that matters really. The deficit. Country's must be run like a business and the most important aspect of any business is to make sure more money is coming in than going out. Right now Trudeau is acting like someone who never had to work for anything. Surprise surprise because he didn't.
    It is always easy to give away and over spend when you never worked for it.
    My main issue with the guy is i have zero respect for him.
    I am sorry, but if you are going to run the country i want to see serious academic accomplishments in economics, finance, law etc.
    We need Canada's most intelligent people on the ballots. Its sad that that is not what wins votes. Charm wins over unfortunately

Smokey, boing and Grifter like this.
  4. Grifter

Bluh?

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

I agree with this. I think his answer of “because it’s 2015” when questioned why 50% of his cabinet is male and 50% female is absolutely fucking asinine. I’d rather hear that they’re the best people for the job, rather than a playable sound byte.

boing and Grifter like this.
  6. Gooch

That single comment made me hate him and i think it was the most insulting thing i have ever heard toward women.
    A better answer would have been "because they were the most qualified people"
    The whole feminist movement is another thing i have a huge problem with. I have always been around strong, forward thinking women. Mom always handle shit, fixed what needed to be fixed. Ex gfs were bank managers and docs. Wife is incredibly successful business owner and true leader in the industry. All of these women work for what they want and do not need a movement or affirmative action on equal rights.
    Anyway,
    People just need to stop acting like the gov is their parents.

Smokey, boing and Grifter like this.
  7. Grifter

Bluh?

Except in Justin's case it was.

8. Grifter

Bluh?

This

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You're in Newfoundland and you think today's conservatives are good for finances? That's funny. There hasn't been a fiscally conservative conservative party in a long time. Conservatives did the same thing in Newfoundland as they did in Alberta.. spend spend spend and assumed oil was always gonna be there... cut taxes and burned through the cash left right and center. Great for the short term, disaster in the long run.

10. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Really? When discussing Conservative finances, all I can think of is Harper's heavy austerity.

I don't support them, but that man's government knew how to cut and cut to the bone.

11. dpwu32

Trash elf

I genuinely dislike every option we’ve got this go around.

Trudeau is smarmy, and hasn’t pulled his weight on a lot of his promises from 2015. Not a fan of most of the work the Liberals have done. Too much uncontrolled spending/waste for my taste. Trudeau has a suuuuper punchable face.

Scheer is robotic and cold. Though I don’t support a number of his stances on issues (abortion, lgbtq, etc), they’re not major sticking points for me.

Singh isn’t ready, and a lot of the NDP platform doesn’t sit well with me.

I half thought of throwing my vote to the Greens, in hopes of some change and/or fresh blood. I just can’t support a party that wants to bring in a guaranteed basic income and free post-secondary education.

So, PC it is I guess.

clicker666 likes this.
  12. Gooch

I want a robot type guy to run the country. To be honest i truly believe the best gov will one day be an algorithm that rates and breaks down spending to keep things fair. Also, on tough individual topics, an online vote to make important decisions.

13. Duggan

Have no fear guys, JT just won my vote by announcing low income families get a $2000 bursary, that they can use towards food, housing, clothes and education!!

Nope, that's wrong, it is a bursary for a 4 day camping trip! whooohooo!

14. Gooch

so stupid.
    Again, it is so easy to give others money away when you have never worked for anything in your whole life.

I am a capitalist through and through

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The only thing that scares me about capitalism is the end game. Look at the USA. It's a mess. Corporations are more important than people and corruption is rife throughout the entire government. A select few are making all the money and the vast majority of the population is broke

16. Gooch

Yes, You are 100% right.

There are no easy solutions.

Boots likes this.
  17. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

This thread is going exactly as I thought I would when I created it. This election sucks - all the candidates are poor. I look around the world, though, and see this mess everywhere. The US has a horrible president but he's partly in because when he ran, his opponent was also a bad choice. Look at poor England. It's hard to point at a world leader these days and think, "Wow, at least that one country is doing it right". Maybe Merkel in Germany? I dunno, the world political stage feels like it is falling apart.

18. Duggan

North Korea has it figured out.

19. Gooch

With the right dictator......it actually is not a bad idea

20. KLD

KLD

About the guaranteed basic income....I used to be against it but I have actually come around. If it was implemented properly and they replaced other tax credits/social assistance, maybe it would actually save money while providing a better quality of life for those who aren't able to get higher paying jobs. I think it would be enough to have some food and a roof over your head, but not luxuries. People who are motivated are still going to work for more - I know I would. The reality is there are some people (due to life situation, illness, etc) who are unable to simply just work smarter/harder but still deserve a decent quality of life. Some people will just continue to be lazy and take advantage, as they do now, but like I said maybe it would actually be better than what we have now? It's also something to think about in the future with automation taking even more jobs - there isn't room for everyone to be programmers for our robot overlords.

That said....I'm still not voting Green because I think the rest of their ideas, while noble, are just way too expensive. :lol:

21. Duggan

The climate warriors sent a letter to McNeil stating that they demand that the government switch the fossil fuel fired generators to a greener solution. Well the only greener solution is nuclear or natural gas. They also want this done by 2021. So I am do appreciate the idea, I fail to see how that is financially feasible. Also natural gas is best transported via pipeline.

In a perfect world, there is a hybrid solution, as the switch to green is way too expensive at the moment to simply abandon oil.

People want everyone in an EV, but as the demand increases for batteries the cost are going to skyrocket. Strip mining for lithium also isn't the greenest practice.

22. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It's insane that the push to renewables didn't start 25 years ago. We'd be in a completely different position right now.

LMAC likes this.
  23. 17

teenage dirtbag

:x:

24. Duggan

Lol.

I love that the latest protest for climate change is to leave motorist on either side of the bridge idling for hours. I appreciate their gusto but my god think of something that reduces the problem not adds to it.

KLD likes this.
  25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Put my ballot in the mail this morning. Kind of weird voting for a candidate in Halifax West while I live in Seattle but I do appreciate being able to vote as my plans are to return to Canada (and I'm still a citizen!).

LMAC and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  26. Duggan

West has Geoff Regan, I don't see him losing. The guy in my riding is kind of a dick but he seems to do lots for the community and he has been at my door a few times.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  27. Matt30

I like the “we have nothing against motorists using the bridge”

And

“We’re not trying to upset people. We want Stephen McNeil and Justin Trudeau to take notice”

Well go ruin their Monday morning then and leave the average Joe the fuck alone. Idiots.

BlackFire likes this.
  28. Duggan

Lol, go stand at the end of McNeil's driveway.

29. C. Mike Hunt

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Andrew Scheer didn't think it was worth mentioning that he's also a US citizen :rofl:

31. Grifter

Bluh?

Never hid it. Never denied it. Don't see how it is a problem either? His dad was American, mom was Canadian. How does it affect anything? He even filed the paperwork to renounce it. :shrug2: I'd take that over a prime minister who bases himself to be a champion for environmental rights and feminism yet has proven to be hypocritical on both issues. (2 jets anyone?) And has been caught lying to Canadians multiple times and has a fetish for wearing make up and costumes and even lied about that.

boing likes this.
  32. C. Mike Hunt

Andrew Scheer's dual citizenship would not be an issue had Conservatives not been so self-righteous in the past

https://www.straight.com/news/1309851/andrew-scheers-dual-citizenship-would-not-be-issue-had-conservatives-not-been-so-self

It would be a complete non-event had it not been for the Conservatives making such a huge issue of former NDP leader Tom Mulcair and former Liberal leader Stéphane Dion having dual Canadian-French citizenship. Then, of course, there was the Conservative ad campaign in 2011 centred around Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff "just visiting" Canada.

33. 17

teenage dirtbag

He IS the PM. Hes going to have security and personnel around him that Scheer doesnt need. Thankfully we dont run a huge 1.5 year long campaign trail here like they do in the US or else it would be a big problem. I think he does and says dumb shit, but using 2 jets isnt one of them.

34. Grifter

Bluh?

Sure, he is the PM. But it's fucking Canada dude. Stop defending the indefensible. He built a platform of puting the environment first.
    It's not like he's using small planes. He doesn't need 2 planes. You're telling me he needs to tote around 72 - 90 seats worth of staff? :rofl:

boing likes this.
  35. boing