Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. 17

teenage dirtbag

I didn’t have to deal with cerb nor did my wife, but the guys I laid off couldn’t come back to work fast enough. Yes, minimum wage unskilled labor made more than usual, but I know people who didn’t fare as well and had to defer their lives even with cerb.

the only people I’ve seen or heard who don’t want to go back to work are retail employees or their spouse is the breadwinner. And blame the banks for letting people buy cars during a pandemic layoff, they approved the loan, not cerb or Trudeau

Grifter likes this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You're very quick to criticize and echo the conservative talking points so please enlighten us with how you would have handled the pandemic response.

3. Grifter

Bluh?

Valid point. (Banks)

4. Grifter

Bluh?

We all know I'm a conservative. Wouldn't it make sense if I echo their thoughts and points? What's your point? Does that make me a bad person or lesser man than anyone else? It's an opinion. A belief. Not dissimilar to religion. Oh wait... Don't wanna talk about that on RC either! :lol:

I'm not qualified to run a country. But I do know if I was, and I had the training, education, experience to do it; it would be different. Maybe I'd fuck it up. Maybe I wouldn't. We will never know.

I do know I would have taxed the CERB. I wouldn't be trying to give money to charity. My wallet would be closed way tighter. Our borders would still be closed. Many things I probably would do similarly. But there's many things I wouldn't.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

So you're shitting on what's being done but you offer no better solution? You do realize that the charity money was going to flow back into the economy right? It was going to be paid to student volunteers for work they otherwise wouldn't be paid for.

6. Grifter

Bluh?

If we werent in an economic crisis I'd say go right ahead!

Some of the first things I learned were the difference in when I can afford something and when I can't. When I need something vs when I want it. Now is not the time to be giving money to charity, even if it's for students.

7. Grifter

Bluh?

Also, to pay for student volunteers??? Hahaha. Who cares if they get paid. You do know what word you just said... VOLUNTEER. If they were working in a position or capacity where they were not volunteering, altogether different story. But they signed up to volunteer. They knew what they were getting in to. Back when I first started firefighting, I volunteered. I did not receive compensation. But it was on the paperwork I signed when I became a volunteer firefighter.

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Not sure if you noticed but the student job market is kind of ... ummm... non existent at the moment. The charity money was meant to offset the loss of that market due to covid-19. Maybe the CPC facebook page left out that detail when it sent out it's programming lol

9. Grifter

Bluh?

How about homeless? How about Dr's leaving towns without doctors because of lack of funding? How about veterans? They will argue they don't have the money. They can't afford it. We are in an economic crisis. But wait, let's give money to a charity that pays my mother, my brother, morneaus daughters, almost a billion dollars. And then lie about it.

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

There is a short term crisis that's been tossed on our laps. You won't have to worry about doctors or veterans if the entire economy collapses.

11. Grifter

Bluh?

Right, cause people who are suffering from Covid and don't have access to doctors can wait? :wtf:. Don't you think the students can wait more? Veterans who are suffering from mental illness and hurting themselves or others don't deserve to be helped? But student volunteers do? :wtf:
    Must be nice to sit on such a high throne above us all.

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Shawinigate was a much better name than #WeScandal if we want to talk about the Liberals fucking up. :P

Grifter likes this.
  13. Grifter

Bluh?

I'd take that over what's been going on any day. :lol:

14. Grifter

Bluh?

15. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Again, you're missing the big picture and just running with what your political affiliation tells you to run with. Think about it without politics. What happens if our economy grinds to a crawl or a halt? If the money doesn't keep flowing, shit gets real bad, real fast. If you and your family lost all your income would you borrow money to survive or would you eat tree bark so you don't have to pay anything back in the future?

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

18. Grifter

Bluh?

Nah, id go hunting.

boing likes this.
  19. boing

Banned

Want to compare WWII here you go
    https://thepostmillennial.com/trudeau-government-deficit-covid-wwii
    Here is a snip, so it's not just #TRUMP2020

The spending on Canada doesn't bother me it's all the BILLIONS that he has blindly given away during his this pandemic when he was trying to win a that security seat at the UN and it was a miserable failure but once again the media just blew it off.

Grifter likes this.
  20. boing

Banned

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

Grifter likes this.
  21. Grifter

Bluh?

Careful, we don't want to "quote conservative news sources". Which of course means anything not pro liberal.

boing likes this.
  22. Grifter

Bluh?

Just an assumption on how you and others will perceive it. :lol:

23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Thanks for backing up my point that the spending on the pandemic is on the level of WWII. I was only quoting my financial advisor who I had a chat with the other day and he was pointing at the $$ the Trump administration had put towards stabilizing the stock market, which was what we were talking about in general (stability of the stock market right now).

It's not a Liberal vs. Conservative thing - almost every country has spent billions trying to rectify things with the pandemic. The only Liberal vs. Conservative thing I'll call out is that Trump spends money to make sure the rich stay rich where the Liberals put money towards those who were going to need it the most when layoffs inevitably started happening.

24. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I'll try to find it but someone did a good mapping of news sources across the spectrum. The goal, IMO, should be to find the news sources that sit in the middle, not the ones at the end.

Grifter likes this.
  25. Grifter

Bluh?

Like student volunteers? :lol:.

I see your point about CERB and wage subsidies. It's more the unnecessary stuff like WE and not taxing the CERB that grinds my gears.

26. 17

teenage dirtbag

not taxing cerb is a non issue imo

anyone with half a clue set some $$ aside for tax time. if they didnt, the blame is on them, it wasnt some big secret that was kept from everyone.

boing likes this.
  27. Grifter

Bluh?

You're absolutely correct. That doesn't change anything though. We could've taxed it and saves tons.

28. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Isn't the idea to find a party that echos your thoughts, not the other way around?

29. boing

Banned

The problem with the liberals is we are a trillion dollars in the hole now and still digging and Trudeau and Morneau have no concept of money like GrifterGrifter said. When the dumbass was trying to get his security seat at the UN he was throwing millions all over the world except Canada where we needed it during this pandemic. Then to top it off he lost the vote for the seat AND got less votes than Harper got for the same seat, it was a total waste. Now we have this HUGE dept to pay back and who do you think is going to clean that mess up? Not the liberals they will lose the next election and the CPC will have to clean up the mess and be the bad guys for being fiscally responsible and raise taxes or bring in a new tax.
    But hey we got legal weed :woohoo: right?

Grifter likes this.
  30. boing

Banned

No you are here to tell us what to think right?
    That was what I got out of my last encounter with you.
    We have to believe EVERYTHING ABOUT the PARTY and can't have our own thoughts and if we do you will tell us what we will think

31. Grifter

Bluh?

Same difference. :shrug2:

32. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

A friend of mine just now posted this on LinkedIn (he doesn't do Facebook): https://www.moneytalkgo.com/video/cda-deficit-wwii-economy/?src=grapevine

For the record, he's a financial advisor and a card carrying Conservative.

I see nothing in that video saying, "PANIC!". I hear, "we went from AAA to AA with one credit rating house. We're still way ahead of most other countries."

But it's time to pull the rip cord because of the money spend to control the pandemic and ensure Canadians could stay afloat and weather the storm.

33. 17

teenage dirtbag

you know that the UN council seat cost 2.3m right? That is basically a drop in the bucket for what CERB has cost, which was close to 50 billion.

I think the UN seat is a waste of money, but to nitpick 2.3m when our country has a GDP of 1.7t is a bit much, and just further muddys the water around the excessive spending shit that actually matters and makes the important things easier to lose in the shuffle. The conservatives would get a lot further if they focused on the actual scandals and stopped trying to throw every cent at the wall to make it stick.

Funny you mention legal weed, the tax dollars collected on it would be 10x, maybe 15x what he spent on the UN seat.

34. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Im not sure that I'd agree. If the voice of the party speaks to me, I'm voting for him/her regardless of their party.
    I guess I see it like this. Next election I have no idea how I'm voting until I hear what each leader's platform is. Could be conservative, could be liberal. Would you ever consider voting liberal?

35. Grifter

Bluh?

I would. I voted for Stephen McNeil before I left Nova Scotia. Wasn't a fan of Bailey at all, he had no spine and didn't build a platform I could relate to.
    For Liberals, If they changed the way they do things and had a platform I could get behind; I'm all about the best person for the job. As long as I believe they will do what they say they will, hold the same values I do, and run the country to its fullest potential, I'm good with that. Trudeau has no actual career to draw experience from, lied multiple times, put our country in the biggest debt in its history, proved multiple times he is more about his friends than the country, and has no moral compass.

I'm not some fool who voted conservative just to vote conservative. It's because I have many of the same values, and 99% of the time, they are better for the job than the other guy.