Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Let's infographic this up then.

Very true, C02 is vital for plant life, thanks for the help with photosynthesis.

Here's the issue, the C02 levels are globally rising:
    [​IMG]
    See: https://e360.yale.edu/digest/co2-levels-continue-to-increase-at-record-rate

While 02 levels are dropping:
    [​IMG]

See: http://scrippso2.ucsd.edu/

(note: both images are from different locations and different time ranges. If you'd like a single source of info, see https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/).

TL;DR: I'm not a plant.

2. Scott

rawr

I guess

3. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

This was discusses on Nova last night. Using ice cores from the Arctic/Greenland they were able to track C02 levels on the planet back several tens of thousands of years. They say there has been a spike over the past 150ish years climbing higher than it ever has. The spike apparently coincides with the onset of the industrial revolution.
    I'm convinced that we are responsible for the spike but at the same time feel that banning plastic bags and imposing carbon taxes won't do shit to fix it.

So yes, C02 is necessary for plant life. So is water. Does that mean the next time the wife says I killed her plants by over watering them, I can call bullshit?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Wayne, Grifter and boing like this.
  4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Again, man made climate change is a fact. You're free to think whatever you like. Some people think the earth is flat too lol

As for Canada being carbon neutral. That's not true - we've just managed to export most of our carbon footprint to developing countries. Take a look around. We are surrounded by stuff that was manufactured in developing countries. That phone you're using? The metals probably came from a hole in the ground in China, the plastics too. On top of that, toss in the carbon emitted transporting the phone across the ocean. That's just scratching the surface.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah they can go back like 800K years and not see a spike like what we see in the last 100 years.

Wayne likes this.
  6. 17

teenage dirtbag

i talked to someone last week who in thoroughly convinced that immigrants get brought here, put up in the best hotels and have steak dinners on tax payer dime until the government gets them free housing. He was dead set convinced of it.

my response was "oh wow thats crazy" because youre not even going to begin to crack the surface on someone like that

Wayne likes this.
  7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah I bet their facebook feed is off the charts ridiculous lol

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Ugh... MacKay on solving climate change

“Canadians can be innovators and be big contributors to the global effort because we’re not the problem,”

To say that Canadians aren't contributing to climate change is pretty high up there on the list of stupid things a person could say.

He also wants to spend more on the military and make it easier for doctors to refuse assisted death *sigh*

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/no-...-paris-climate-targets-aspirational-1.4823430

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  9. Grifter

Bluh?

Did you actually read it? I am not in agreement with everything he said, but to indicate disdain over his words on doctor assisted death seems a little weird? He said he would allow doctors who have a conscious objection to a patient's death request to refer them to another doctor. What's wrong with that? Why make them *essentially* kill someone they don't believe they should?

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

This is some ridiculous way to allow God to be involved in decisions around assisted death. You'll have doctors who will refuse because they believe in the imaginary man in the sky.

11. Grifter

Bluh?

In your opinion. Some people are religious. Some aren't. To be opposed to allowing people their right to be religious sounds more ignorant than exorcising your right to be religious if you ask me.

Besides, I didn't get religion anywhere in the article. Not sure where you did. :scratch:.

12. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

In the grand scheme of things, we aren't the problem. We are a big land mass, with a relatively small population of people, who for the most part, are environmentally conscious already. Could we do more, absolutely, but we aren't the main contributors.

13. 17

teenage dirtbag

There really can’t be that many religious doctors. Medicine is science based, I can’t see someone prescribing medication to heal someone and then going to church and praying for someone who needs healing lol

Grifter likes this.
  14. 17

teenage dirtbag

I also agree with this

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

We import 60B in goods per year from China... we are fuelling the demand for the cheap goods that come from less developed nations with low environmental standards. We may not be the worst direct polluters, but for someone who wants to be the next Prime Minister to say 'we are not the problem' when it comes to climate change, that raises huge flags for me. He clearly doesn't understand how dire the situation is.

16. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I certainly can. Not to pray for someone to be healed but to look for understanding as to why certain things happen. Sometimes it's not about believing in a guy in the sky but rather about general faith and a support network for things they can't control. I'd say it's the same reason that people who claim to be Atheist still celebrate Christmas or go to funerals. How can you celebrate an event about the birth of a God, and not believe in the God or go to a funeral when you don't believe that the person is destined for anything but worm food? For some it's simply an emotional support. So I'd bet there are lots of doctors that believe in a higher power as simply a way to explain the unexplainable, which they more than most are forced to deal with.

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The religious right has been against assisted death from the get go. It's not far off from the abortion debate. Life is a 'precious gift from god' and no matter how horrible the suffering, you must be kept alive as much as possible :rolleyes:

ie:
    https://www.canadiansforconscience.ca/
    https://www.evangelicalfellowship.ca/euthanasia

Pretty easy to see what Mackay is doing. He's dismissing climate change as a problem and he's pandering to the religious vote. Straight out of the conservative handbook :(

18. Grifter

Bluh?

Don't get me wrong, if a patient decides it's their time, I'm not saying a doctor should begrudge them that right. But being allowed to refuse them by shifting them to a doctor who's willing? Where is that a problem?

You're being pretty anti religion here dude. I don't see where there's a problem and you're making it into an anti religion issue.

With what we're debating, ive actually had to go through a similar situation when my old man was dying from cancer... We decided as a family to do a D/N/R order. Hardest decision we've ever had to make. I'm fully supportive of the doctor assisted dying, but I see no reason to force someone who disagrees with it to do it. Someone else will step in. Like 17 said, good luck finding a religious doctor! :lol: but there's no reason to begrudge people of their right to be religious and even mock it like you are.

Just saying.

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Those sites I linked previous claim to have 5,000+ religious doctors supporting them. I think they are more common than you believe. A doctors personal decision to practice a religion shouldn't affect their ability to do their job. That's the equivalent of me LARPing on the weekend and refusing to finish my work on Monday because it might upset the king of my make believe kingdom :rofl:

20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

21. Grifter

Bluh?

You're not getting it.

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

ummm i celebrate santa, baby jesus can go pound sand

23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

TIL Christmas has something to do with god :rofl:

24. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Arrogant much, Boots?

Grifter likes this.
  25. Grifter

Bluh?

I'm religious. Don't go to church, but was raised as a church goer. My wife is religious as well. We have told our kids about God, but are letting them make their own choice. Not forcing God on them. Do you want to make fun of me and tell me I'm a fool for believing in God? Or can we just respect each other's beliefs and not be dicks about it?

I was a kid who grew up in a religious household. That was my parents choice and theirs before them. Like them, I don't force my beliefs on anyone and respect others beliefs.

If a doctor is religious and doesn't want to kill someone, that should be their choice. But as the article states, I'm glad they are forwarding them to a doctor that may help the patient ease their pain.

To suggest a doctor HAS to kill someone is ignorant and deplorable in my opinion. Some veterinary clinics are "No kill.". When it came time for my dog to be put down, our veterinarian was the type that was willing to put him to sleep. He was at a point where I knew he had no quality of life and did not want him to suffer. He was in pain and could no longer get up. I cried like a baby but believed I was doing the right thing.

If the veterinarian, who is an amazing vet and great lady, had an issue with that and told me because of her beliefs and values she would not help us... Would I mock her and make fun of her beliefs and try to prove her wrong? No. I'd go find a vet that would help.

But, some people sit on train tracks and cost others their jobs and take food off their tables to prove a point. Guess this world is full of all kinds of people. Some good, some not. Takes all kinds!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Well I mean come on. How much longer do we have to play along with religion without acknowledging that it's a man made thing? Your President can't even get elected without pretending to believe in it. Why is that still a thing?

27. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You're making it sound like the doctor has to stab the patient in the heart. it's assisted death, not doctor murder :rofl: If a patient wishes to end their life and they met the requirements, do your job. You're free to practice all the religion you want, but don't interfere with other people's choices because of it.

Btw, I was raised Catholic too. Baptised, Sunday school, the whole nine yards. I thought it was ridiculous back then too :o

28. Grifter

Bluh?

Alrighty then.

29. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

you can pray for me tonight :rofl:

30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Boots - you’re the one who is turning this into a debate about religion. The article doesn’t mention religion.

it’s a question of morales and, in this case, I can see the point that one doctor could choose to hand off performing assisted death to another doctor. I’m not religious but I don’t know that I’d be comfortable with it. It’s not just a question of religious belief. Stop painting it like it is to make your point and being an asshole to anyone who doesn’t think exactly like you.

Grifter likes this.
  31. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You're naive if you don't think the conservative party is against assisted death due to religious beliefs. They look at it through the same lens they look at abortion, birth control, homosexuality, etc. I feel no shame calling them out on it.

32. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Fine. You should feel shame for how you're talking about your fellow Canadians, essentially insinuating that anyone who has religious beliefs is an idiot. Keyboard Warrior Boots. I'd love to see you go into a church on any given Sunday, get up at the pulpit and call the congregation a bunch of idiots for their beliefs.

And this is coming from someone who is not religious at all - I am actually anti-religion and believe it is the cause of many problems in society. However, shitting on others for believing in a higher power/God/whatever only causes more separation between the Conservative right and the Liberal left.

Grifter likes this.
  33. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

People are free to believe whatever they want. My problem is when those personal beliefs affect someone else negatively. I've got friends who are very active in the church and admire a lot of the qualities they take from it. I never said anyone who practices religion is an idiot. Those are your words not mine.

34. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

"How much longer do we have to play along with religion without acknowledging that it's a man made thing?" - Boots, 2020

Sure sounds like you think religion is an idiotic pastime. Your words, not mine.

Grifter likes this.
  35. Grifter

Bluh?

Why are you being a dick? Do you even know if I pray? And even if I did, how does that have any consequence on you? Do you know me personally? Do my decisions as a person play any consequence on your life? Does my choice to be religious affect you in any way? Do I care that your're not religious? No. I don't. Have I ever preached to you? No I haven't. It's a choice and one that is in my opinion personal.
    Have I ever done anything to offend you? Sure we've entered into debates about politics with some mudslinging going on but I've never actually thought less of you, those are just entertainment.

But right now man you're just being a dick.