Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. boing

I believe that the climate is changing but I do not think that we are completely responsible for all of it. The plastic and society today in general is the biggest problem I see.
    OLD MAN RANT
    We have a "throw away" society with so much waste in packaging and products that don't last like they used to. Then there is also this "Need" society where every house needs a TV in every room, everyone needs a phone, kids all need a drive to school or to the mall or to here or there no one walks any more . People need a 10000 sq foot house and need 2+ cars and all the toys.
    I am not innocent I have 3 TV's, a trailer(camper) and truck that is only used to tow it (unless the weather is bad) and we drive a very fuel efficient car ... but we also have a < 1000 sq ft house that we keep between 18-20 degrees c all winter. We have a garden and grow some veggies.
    Most of this has just happened over the last 30 years and that is not enough time to cause this WORLD DESTRUCTION that everyone is running around going on about.
    The environmental groups are just using this to fill their pockets. It's like selling carbon offset credits or buying then and thinking you are making a difference.
    I have also helped cut down a lot of trees but that's all carbon neutral sooo, good to go.

#CarbonHoax

Grifter likes this.
  2. Goodson

internets!

Close to -60 I think. I honestly think Nova Scotia feels colder, though. Here it just dries your skin pretty quick, but the wind coming off the ocean in the winter is bone chilling.
    That polar bear doesn't want these hands

Grifter likes this.
  3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Famous words from everyone who lives where it gets ungodly cold lol

Grifter likes this.
  4. Goodson

internets!

It's not even bad, to be honest. You'd be surprised how quick your body can adapt.

When it first starts getting cold in October, -5 seems chilly. By this time of year, -20 seems nice.

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The WORLD DESTRUCTION is backed by science. I think the science has gone through a few iterations in the last 20 years but it is clearly pointing at indications that this is not a cyclical, natural thing the Earth goes through. The science is *also* showing that the biggest factor causing these changes is man made. I think the problem as far as accepting this is that it was "branded" as Global Warming. It's actually more than that and is causing more a "weather extremes" than anything else.

Personally, I tend to listen to science.

6. boing

Oh I know the famous eco warrior cry "The science is settled" What about the science that says it's not?
    We have had to change our tune a few times... but it's settled :lol:
    Weather extremes are another one that gets me. we see these flooding news stories and then historic pictures surface of the same area that flooded a hundred years ago you know like on the 100 year flood cycle.... even the Venice flooding this fall there were pictures of the same streets that were flooded years and years ago. The fires that burn through here have all burned before and will burn again it's the ecology of the forest and there is no amount of carbon tax that is going to stop these things. Temp extremes as well how do we know these are "extremes"? we have been keeping records for a long time but not a long time when it comes to the earth.
    They are finding plants under melting arctic ice on Baffin Island, so it has been warm enough up there to support plant growth in the past so we must be on a warming cycle that the earth has gone through before.

Personally I believe the evidence.

Grifter likes this.
  7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

boingboing - Curious if you have good links to the anti-climate change science that is peer reviewed and worth reading? Google is only turning up what I call "tinfoil hat science" hits.

8. boing

No but I haven't looked either, I just mentioned climate evidence.
    I have worked all my career in the natural resources industry and that is what my education is in so I know a thing or three about ecology, biology and nature. I do not rely on some study that has been paid for by a government, that is taxing weather, and reviewed by peers who are also feeding at the same trough.
    Look at the frauds like david suzuki and al gore.

9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Ok, boingboing - I'll believe you because you say you're smart over peer reviewed scientific evidence. It's obviously the smart thing to do.

And, I'm not saying there can't be corruption in the scientific community. I just don't believe it can happen at the scale that the evidence is pointing to.

10. boing

I know what I have seen and am seeing and I am not looking for believers I am not running a cult like the climate change believers are.
    I didn't say I was smart I said I knew stuff about the outside world, there is a difference. Just like you know stuff about computer programming and shit.
    How many of these peer reviewed scientific studies have you read?
    Do you have any that you would recommend?
    I have been reading some medical studies lately and find it pretty dry stuff is the environmental stuff a little lighter or should I have a pot of coffee ready?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

a) When it comes to computer programming (and shit), even though I have a degree and years of experience, I still listen to my peers. I know what I would consider myself an expert in and what I dabble in. Having a Computer Science degree and 20+ years of industry experience developing software does not, for example, make me an expert in Bit Coin. If someone wants to talk the details of speech recognition, speech synthesis, high performance computing, or anything to do with motion graphics/vfx, I consider myself well informed.
    b) As a scientist, I also respect the scientific method and when it comes to evaluating science done in other disciplines, I at least feel I have the base knowledge to read a study, judge it based on the core principles of the scientific method, as well as look to things like peer reviews as well as other corroborating studies to make educated decisions.
    c) I don't belong to a cult. Similar to me identifying as an atheist, there are not meetings I go to where I sit around worshiping Greta. There are certainly rallies to raise awareness but I can't say I've ever gone to one myself.
    d) I'll dig up some studies. It's been a while since I've read any in depth and I have lost the bookmarks I had. Some of it is pretty dry reading but that doesn't mean it isn't something to pay attention to.

Honestly, your response reminds me of the interviews Jordan Klepper has been doing for Trevor Noah on The Daily Show recently, talking to Trump supporters about things like the impeachment. In general, the response from his base is, "I know what I know because I'm smart and have seen things" but when asked if they've read the evidence against Trump, the answer is no. For example:

Scary world we live in.

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Debating our impact on the climate at this point is like debating gravity :rofl:

13. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

That's a debate with some serious ups and downs.

Grifter likes this.
  14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

lol

15. Wayne

I learned awhile ago I cannot get involved in these discussions...same outcome as smashing my face into my keyboard...a headache. But I'll add a couple thoughts of my own and then go back listening to everyone else.

In general I 100% side with Boots and HairyAss though, for all the reasonable reasons they've provided.

Climate changes are natural and cyclical, but the rate at which it changes, and the degree to which it changes, is most certainly caused by humans and the compounded effects of both releasing carbon into the atmosphere, and stripping the land of old growth that absorb that carbon (Science 101). It's bad enough to do one thing, but we are increasingly doing both at alarming rates. Over population is certainly a problem, as is the economies of scale that make it easy for people to save a few cents per item by having it shipped at enormous environmental costs. A lot of the solutions need to start with individuals and grass root movements/causes that help people easily and cost effectively reduce the dependence on massive corporations.

- Get your food locally (I shop at local markets and buy from farms directly whenever it's available to do so)
    - Grow your own food (you don't need a fucking farm to do it, I have land and a greenhouse but patio planters go a long way)
    - shop locally in general (I do not have a cosco membership, I buy almost everything locally, with maybe a handful of Amazon purchases a year)
    - buy eco-friendly, biodegradable products, avoid buying plastic as much as possible and reuse things

...just make smarter decisions with less carbon footprint.

You don't have to be perfect, just get better and work on it. Tell people who say you're a hypocrite because there is gas used in production of your phone to go fuck off. We get it, we heard it before, your trolling is noted. Of course gas/oil is a natural resource, we need to use it, we need to use it less and smarter.

Nobody is going to be perfect. Period. Doesn't mean you can't be better.

Cities, towns, community or local coops should be making this a priority and helping guide citizens in this direction instead of making it harder. Yes, people should buy vehicles that are fuel efficient based on their needs, sometimes people need a truck, sometimes hybrids/electric cars aren't the answer for everyone. I have a wagon with a 2.0 turbo, it get's an average of 8.5L/100km in mostly city driving...not hybrid level, but pretty good and with two dogs I needed some space. It's better than the Jeep I had with the same functionality. Better mass transportation would be great.

On a global scale we need to do a lot more, but this is where the government choices is so critical...people look to those leaders. If they don't do shit, people won't even attempt to get better at home. We as a species are smart enough to find solutions (of which there is no single bullet); and these solutions would likely create more jobs and wealth than they cost. The early investments in today's giant corporations usually didn't lead to profit immediately, but the outcome was life changing, the same thing needs to happen to solve our current issues. We need people in charge that say enough is enough, and make it a priority to make it easier and worthwhile for people to lead innovation to solve our bigger problems. We do some things better than other countries, and they do things better than us...we need to start looking around and say...fuck, we should do that too and then do it.

Grifter likes this.
  16. Grifter

Bluh?

Discussing climate change on RC is like discussing politics. Redundant and mundane. I give up on debating it, as there are polar opposites to each side of the argument and NEITHER side is ever willing to admit when the other side has a valid point or valuable insight.

It's like taking a blind man duck hunting. Not fun for either party involved.

Steve and Hairyass (are due hard liberals and unwavering in regards to their party ever making a mistake or being wrong where as I and boing are card carrying Conservatives who despise the Liberal views and feel like shaking any Liberal we meet that voted for Trudeau and pleading with them to wake up from this nightmare they've induced on the world. :lol:

We both blame each other's parties for the faults in this crumbling country and long for our parties to dig it out of the hard times, even though we've all made our fair contributions to Canada's plummet from grace over the years... There's two sides to these debates and it's pretty sad that blind ignorance keeps them from recognizing it.

That doesn't mean I don't like to get my digs or jokes in every now and then. Or spark a good entertaining debate about the subjects. :lol:

boing likes this.
  17. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Pretty sure neither of them are die hard liberals. In fact I think they have both said that if the Cons provided a good leader with a vision that they connected to they would be just as open to them.

Boots likes this.
  18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'm a gun owning, Stephen Harper voting die hard liberal :rofl:

Grifter likes this.
  19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Also, man made climate change isn't up for debate contrary to what Rebel Media says :lol:

Grifter likes this.
  20. Grifter

Bluh?

Meh. I said what I said! You voted for Trudeau. Therefore IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! :lol:

boing likes this.
  21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You should thank me. If I voted for the conservatives we'd have an American for Prime Minister and we'd be paying to put his kids through private school :rofl:

Grifter likes this.
  22. boing

I just looked did a quick google scholar search for peer reviewed studies and there were 4 and nothing before 2011. I may be wrong but just what I found.
    When you find your studies let me know.

I comment about your career because you commented about me being "smart" it's the typical passive aggressive post that you always make, but like the a typical narcissist we all know that you are "well informed" in speech this, high performance that and motion graphics shit if anyone ever wants to talk about it.
    I grew up in the bush with my father hunting, fishing and trapping then went to school for Forestry and into that industry and then into Geomatics for 20+ combined years.
    I know more about nature than just park and camp grounds like most of these people that are bitching and complaining and will never do a god damn thing to change their life to make a difference and just follow these greta sheep because that is what the fear mongers and holly wood celebs are selling.
    Next thing you are going to be telling me is the earth is flat.
    Dr Patrick Moore is a good example an has a lot of info. He is one of the co-founders of greenpeace and his phd is in forest ecology with 40+ years
    in the field. I would suggest looking at some of his videos or articles here is one, it's long and with Rex Murphy so it my trigger you, just a warning.

23. boing

here is another one tinfoil? maybe?

24. Wayne

I actually think I voted conservative more times than I've voted liberal in my lifetime. Someday the conservative party will get back on the right side of the fence of important issues, hope it's not too late by then.

25. Grifter

Bluh?

Better that then shelling out millions upon millions of our dollars to Omar Khadr, Loblaws and MasterCard. Pretty sure private school would be a fraction of the cost vs what Trudeau keeps giving away! And then saying the Veterans are asking for too much! :lol:
    (Private school was the difference in cost in what he was paying in Saskatchewan vs Ottawa. Wasn't right to hide it but I'm pretty sure it would be in the thousands, not millions. Still wrong)

boing likes this.
  26. 17

teenage dirtbag

The Supreme court decided that his rights were violated and that the government needed to pay a "settlement".

In 2010.

27. Grifter

Bluh?

And Trump has been acquitted.

In 2020.

:shrug2:

He's a convicted terrorist.

His rights were breached. What about those he killed?

So a supreme Court passed judgement.
    Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

I was held up by knifepoint, robbed, and stabbed when I was in high school. So 17+ years ago. He walked because 1 of the 2 witnesses called didn't show.

Do you agree with that?

28. 17

teenage dirtbag

the fuck does trumps acquittal have to do with anything? you know that doesnt make the impeachment go away, right?

My point is all this happened under the previous government. I dont think Khadr should get paid, however, the mishandling by the Harper gov led to that outcome, Trudeau was left holding the bag. The 10.5m payout was best case scenario, the longer he waits, the more expensive it would become. Harper being stubborn cost you, me, and all the other tax payers ten million, but the conservatives dont want to hear that, as its an easy 1-2 connect the dots to JT but 2 seconds of information can show who really is responsible.

Rights are rights, its a slippery slope to pick and choose who gets them.

29. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Trump was acquitted because his best friends were on the jury. He was impeached because his worst enemies were the ones deciding if it should go to court The outcome was decided before the hearings even started. It means fuck all.

Even in regular court if an accused rights are breached, someone is held responsible. The police can't kick down every door in an apartment building looking for drugs and then use the results to justify the means. Nor can they arrest you, haul you to jail and then work on finding something you did wrong to justify the arrest. If you're upset at the payout, maybe focus some of your anger towards the person or persons that mishandled it in the beginning, giving this guy his out.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  30. C. Mike Hunt

[​IMG]

Scott likes this.
  31. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Hey, boingboing - I'm not sure how you got the impression that I'm a narcissist - if that's the case, there isn't much point in me posting. I enjoy a lively debate and will sometimes use some debating tactics to cut down the other person but I think we all do that a bit?

So far, you've accused me of being a narcissist and that I belong to a cult. Is it my turn now to shit on you for growing up feral in the woods?

However. I did Google Dr Patrick Moore before watching the video you posted (you're right, I would likely get triggered by Rex Murphy. I can't stand him.) One of the first hits was from Green Peace's website: https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/greenpeace-statement-on-patric/ - Basically, you're backing your argument based on the arguments of someone who lies about who he is and is a paid shill of the Nuclear Industry. I'm assuming from the fact that you introduced the video of him by saying he was a co-founder of GreenPeace means you were unaware of this.

Based on my view of the world, I wont be watching or reading the words of Dr. Moore. If he starts out his claims with lies about his own background, there is no reason for me to believe anything he says after that point.

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  32. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The conservative talking point is that Trudeau personally handed over Canadian tax money to Khadr in an envelope to make him happy. Same with Trudeau greeting every immigrant (aka terrorist) with a fistful of tax money and free food.

33. Wayne

:roflugh:

34. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

All that wasted paper. Should have done an e-transfer.

35. boing

I was going to post last nigh but I had already taken my meds and I didn't want to go on a "Levitony" rant so I will try to keep this as simple as a feral woodsman can.
    You think greenpeace is going to give Dr. Moore a good review, he lies... is that based on what GP says because he says that they are a bunch of liars as well so who do we believe now? :lol:
    I read some of the peer reviewed studies I could find and still not convinced, but unlike you I am willing to look, listen and read the climate change story and not just dismiss it because you don't like them and might get triggered and not even listen to the whole video.
    How about the second video about the 97% and Obama I am sure that will really trigger you when they call him a liar.
    So we have also concluded that you are close minded as well.
    Who are greta and david suzuki paid by suzuki ownes or owned an Island off the BC coast with an oil distributor https://torontosun.com/2013/10/10/d...erty/wcm/949b5f61-4d5f-4848-874d-1c738b18f821

Climate change people say Co2 is bad it's evil but I have always been taught that it was vital for plant life and life in general.
    [​IMG]

I am not denying climate change, I just don't think we are fully responsible for it. sure we have some problems with China and India and other developing countries polluting the world but Canada is not one of them. Canada if anything is a carbon neutral country.