Election

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Sep 24, 2019.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Curious how folks are feeling about the upcoming election. I received my mail in voting package yesterday.

Horrible options - Scheer looks like a mini-Trump. Trudeau has stuck his foot in it enough times that he may have screwed himself over. I don't know much about Singh. A lot of folks I know are singing the praises of Elizabeth May but even she has baggage.

What a clusterfuck.

chainsaw likes this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah it's a mess. I don't really see any other option aside from Trudeau personally. I'd be happy with a liberal minority government.

chainsaw, LMAC, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  3. C. Mike Hunt

I don't care who wins as long as Scheer loses.

Wayne likes this.
  4. 17

teenage dirtbag

Pretty much. Not super thrilled to be sending a vote his way. It’s a shame the conservatives went with Scheer, dude looks like it physically pains him to smile and act friendly.

5. Matt30

Trudeau seems like the only option to keep Scheer out. Any other party seems to be a throw away vote

6. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

I want rid of Trudeau so much I'm willing to vote for Scheer.. :shrug:

The two parties have a lot in common, but only one of them wants to take my stuff so for me it's an easy choice.

boing and Grifter like this.
  7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Scheer's personal agenda disgusts me at a core level. I'm not exaggerating when I call him mini-Trump. Look at what happened in Ontario when they decided voting for Ford was a good idea to get rid of the Liberals...

8. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

Scheer doesn't exude personal agenda to me. I don't understand the comparison to Trump, or Ford really.
    Sure he's got some beliefs that counter my own, but nothing I can't get over.
    Nobody's rights are getting walked back if Scheer is PM; there will still be abortions, gay marriage, legal pot, etc.
    Guy can believe whatever he wants. I'll be shocked if he's elected and he pushes those beliefs on anyone.

boing likes this.
  9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

You're just worried because you could lose a rifle if Trudeau gets in lol

10. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

Nah, can't stand the guy. Losing my stuff, and centrally storing the rest is just icing on the cake.

Grifter likes this.
  11. Grifter

Bluh?

This.
    I'd rant on about how I can't stand Trudeau and Scheer is the better option of the other parties, but on RC that's a losing battle. Besides, I've made my political beliefs known enough on here that people know how I'm voting. :lol:

12. Grifter

Bluh?

And fuck it, I'm going for it.....

70484196_1187314538143003_7440058502673858560_n.png.jpg

boing likes this.
  13. Wayne

This. Trudeau is a dumbass, but Sheer is dangerous imo.

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Everyone is Alberta is going to vote Scheer but you guys forget that a conservative party was in power during your oil boom and they pissed it all away and left you high and dry after they left.

15. Arod

I need to accelerate some purchases. After shooting sigs this weekend I realized I need one of those in my life too.

16. KLD

KLD

I don't really like Scheer, but I'm sick of the alarmist posts all over social media about how a bunch of rights are going to be taken away. From what I understand, things like abortion, gay marriage, etc, are not up for discussion and it's not in their platform to roll it back. However, I could be wrong so if someone has evidence, please feel free to share. I also understand people being worried about his track record, but I personally am not. He can believe what he wants as long as he doesn't force it on others. I don't find life to be any different when under liberal/conservative parties; however, it might just be that I'm privileged?

It's funny how divisive things are now....my husband and I pretty much never vote the same and yet we still love each other, haha.

clicker666 and tribeachpunk like this.
  17. Duggan

A lot of the influx of money was distributed to other provinces. The biggest thing that bothers me was the cancellation of Energy East. Canada could be self sustaining, using a much greener transportation choice. Instead, there is continued support for Saudi Oil, that is extracted in much less environmentally friendly, less safe, from a nation that is nowhere close to aligning values. Also, how does a government lose money selling weed.

Trudeau was weak before on the international stage, and is now seen as even more of a laughing stock. With a recession looming, Canada is going to feel it hard. The other thing that bothers me is Trudeau's grandstanding with virtue signalling and then he doesn't walk the walk himself.

I do think a minority might be the best thing at this time.

boing, tribeachpunk, 17 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I think everyone agrees on that one.

19. MRA

MRA

This really is a situation where there is no clear best candidate.

I saw an interview with Scheer a while back where he said he didn't believe in climate change...sorry, can't vote for this guy after saying that

briangtiguy and HairyAss like this.
  20. Grifter

Bluh?

Right... cause that's what this election is about...
    :rolleyes:

I didn't even live in Alberta during "their oil boom" as you put it. I moved here 5 years ago. I have been voting Conservative since I've been old enough to vote. Their policies and views echo my beliefs and principals so I vote that way. I'm not about the "Leader" of the party so much as I'm about the policies they stick to and what they say they will do for the country I love.
    None of the Parties have a squeeky clean track record, I could sit here and pick holes in the Liberals runs as party in power.

Seriously man, you need to get off the "hate the Alberta oil boom" ship you're sailing. I don't work in oil and gas. I chose to live in this province because it provided me and my family with a way better lifestyle then Nova Scotia did. Doing the same job I was in Nova Scotia when we moved out, I doubled my salary. Since then, I have fallen in love with this province. I still call Nova Scotia home, and I don't go around thumping my chest preaching Alberta to everyone. One thing I recognize though is it's an industry that won't be going away any time soon as it's essential. And we could be doing a hell of a lot better as a country if we handled it better. I agree it's got to be planned and become less reliant upon, but that takes time. And we can handle it way better and benefit fiscally from that while we figure out a plan and start to implement it down the road. This country could be doing way better on the oil and gas front. Oil booms... They come and go. Recessions hit too. If you want to talk about leaders though, Harper and his government got us out of recession that hit in a global scale. Trudeau? He's getting us into one. Let's see if he gets elected again. (Shudder) how he will get us out.

At the end of the day, I'm Canadian. And when I vote, I'll be voting for what I think is best for Canada. And in my opinion, that ain't Trudeau. I have serious issues with the way he's running our country and the platform he's putting forward on his intentions to continue running it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    dpwu32 likes this.
  21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

There's no shame in supporting the guy who you think will benefit you and your province the most. It'd be kind of weird if you lived in Alberta and were supporting a government that wasn't friendly to the industry that makes or breaks your province lol

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

A minority this time around and a better leader for the conservatives in 5 years.

Scheer is super religious. If anyone thinks that’s not going to creep into his leadership as he panders to those nut jobs to boost approval ratings line Trump does, they are mistaken.

HairyAss likes this.
  23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

That's another issue I have with Singh.. it's 2019... it's about time everyone acknowledged that religion is as real as unicorns :o

Smokey likes this.
  24. Wayne

I would love to vote for a conservative who was fiscally responsible, ready to push the economy forward with business/jobs, and believed in less government. But it seems they all come with baggage like climate denial, anti-abortion, super religion, anti-future.I can't separate that away.

The Liberals are going too far the other way for sure, too much government trying to control things best left to private sector, spending too much money on the wrong things, way too politically correct/apologetic, and more.

However, because I care about the planet and my future on it...this is the sticking point. There is so much money to be made, technology to be advanced, jobs to be created, etc by trying to solve climate change that I can't vote for anyone going against that grain. Once the conservatives figure out the world is dying and they can profit off fixing it (which is a win win), I will go back to considering voting conservative.

Gooch and KLD like this.
  25. Duggan

There are good points from all of them, now if it wasn't just a big popularity contest for prom king/queen and they could actually work together we might get somewhere. Kind of hoping this is what happens with a minority, and not just a constant stalemate.

The pandering for votes now is so transparent.

Wayne likes this.
  26. tribeachpunk

@tbpHFX

Unfortunately we haven't had Sigs in stock in a while. You shouldn't have a problem buying from a reputable dealer online though, there are some good deals out there.

27. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Scheer is probably more religious than Singh.

28. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah I believe that

29. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Many prominent Canadians of colour have come out to talk about Trudeau and say they still support him. They look at how he has approached his government and how open and inviting he has been to other cultures, races, etc and draw the conclusion that while he was ignorant when he was younger, he's learned and that is not the person he is today. Trudeau has also apologized and owned his ignorance publicly, with humility.

On the other hand, around the same age, Scheer was comparing gay marriage to a dog's tail, intimating that while you could call a dog's tail a fifth leg, it is still just a leg and so, if gay marriage were to come into law, it would be along the same lines - you can call it that but it is still fake.

To date, when asked about those comments and his stance on gay marriage, Scheer deflects and refuses to talk about it. He has not grown and widened his world view. He is deeply religious and views the world through a narrow lens that is prescribed by religious doctrine. It also drives his disbelief in science which leads to his lack of understanding when it comes to climate change. I've read about how he has previously treated First Nation's people (with disrespect - telling them in meetings that their population doesn't matter since he didn't need their votes to get elected).

tribeachpunktribeachpunk said above that he couldn't see the connection I draw to Trump and Ford. They are all narcissists with a narrow world view. It is dangerous to have people like that in power - in this example, Scheer can say publicly now that he wouldn't change laws around gay marriage but if it is core to his belief system and he gets a majority, why wouldn't he? Look at everything Ford is doing in Ontario and everything Trump has done since coming into power to tear down things Obama had started to build in the US.

I said it during the US election - voting for Trump because you "didn't like" Hilary was dangerous and now the fucker is headed to impeachment. I have the same feeling about Scheer in Canada. Trudeau is not a fantastic option but he's not dangerous and actually has a few things in his platform that might be possible to make happen in the minority government he's likely to have. Giving Scheer power? Good luck.

clicker666 and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I don't understand the, "Trudeau was weak before on the international stage". As someone living outside of Canada right now who regularly travels, everyone I have talked to had praised Trudeau when he was first elected. He did a great job of improving Canada's reputation on the world stage.

I'm not saying he hasn't somewhat ruined that in the last year but to say he has always been a laughing stock on the world stage is untrue.

31. Duggan

If you look past 2015 and 2016, he hasn't been viewed very well. His relations with India have taken a hit,likely for bringing a terrorist to dinner. China is toying with him and is seen as Trumps puppet with the detainment of the Huawei CFO. They have retaliated with detainment and bans on Canadian products.

I didn't put a date on things, nor did I say always weak, at first he was a poster boy. It started with the India trip. I would agree with you in saying he was always a laughing stock being untrue.

Claiming be be a feminist but ousting several woman, JWB, Eva Nassif, Jane Philpot, and Celina Chavannes.
    His ethics violations have been discussed globally.

Harper was more a behind the scenes PM, he didn't take every chance he could to take selfies or look good in the public eye. The problem, at least in my opinion with leading an "instragram" life is that you have that much further to fall and are a lot more exposed to public scrutiny.

Grifter likes this.
  32. Duggan

33. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I think we're agreeing with each other for the most part. I agree with you about Harper being more behind the scenes but it was almost too much so. He also got power hungry towards the end of his time as PM and this ultimately led to Trudeau taking over.

This election is a rock and a hard place. So... I look at who would cause the most harm. Trudeau has fumbled but really hasn't caused permanent damage. Scheer seems like the type of person who could. I'll likely vote for Trudeau. I haven't really looked into Singh at all.

34. Duggan

Singh needs more time, I think he is a good leader and it will be interesting to see how he does the next 4 years, because lets be honest the NDP aren't going to win, but if he is 3rd in a minority, all of a sudden he holds a lot of power.

Elizabeth May is unrealistic, and the other two parties might get 10 seats total.

I think the Libs winning in 2015 was much less of a protest vote, than the 2015 NDP getting in, in Alberta. Trudeau spoke a great game last time, and his biggest downfall might be that he hasn't proven himself to be the champion of everything he presented himself to be. Not that this is uncommon trait of politicians. I do really wish he didn't abandon the electoral reform.

35. Gooch

What is wrong with Scheer?
    Please list the reason why he would not be 100 times better than the guy we have.
    And I am not being an ass here....I actually want to know what issues people have with him. I am astounded people think Trudeau has been good. The only things I like about him is the things he has came back and apologized for later.

boing and Grifter like this.