Election 2015 - Canada's new Liberal government

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Boots, Aug 12, 2015.

?

What's your prediction for the 2015 election outcome?

Poll closed Oct 19, 2015.
  1. Conservative Majority

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Conservative Minority

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Liberal Majority

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Liberal Minority

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  5. NDP Majority

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NDP Minority

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I love how if you disagree with a conservative policy or agree with something the liberals do you're an "alt-left". You can't just be someone who agrees with something. You have to be a bleeding heart liberal or a snowflake or whatever. Maybe you're just someone who's fucking fed up with people being dicks to other people.

2. Nick84

Lets be fair.

I love how if you disagree with a liberal policy or agree with something the conservatives do you're an "alt-right". You can't just be someone who agrees with something. You have to be a racist or a bigot or whatever. Maybe you're just someone who's fucking fed up with people being dicks to other people.

3. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

That's not true at all. The alt-right has dug themselves in as a niche group who say they're aligned with conservatives, but are also known specifically for being racist.

Alt-left is a term made up by trump that the alt-right has jumped on to try and distance themselves from the negative connotations of alt-right.

4. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

5. C. Mike Hunt

6. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I can’t really find much online about Andrew Scheer other than him being a social conservative and described as “Harper with a smile”. Trudeau has enough time to repair his approval rating before the next election - Scheer is going to need to run a brilliant campaign to defeat him.

The biggest gripe I have with Trudeau is him immediately not going though with the electoral reform he campaigned on. However, unless another party puts forward someone the country can get behind, it’s going to be a Liberal win again.

7. Duggan

He realized that it could hurt his chances of winning again, so it was scrapped.

8. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

I do agree Sheer is the wrong guy to run in the next election. Wish it was Brad Wall or Peter McKay.

Grifter likes this.
  9. 17

teenage dirtbag

I’d have voted for Bernier

tribeachpunk likes this.
  10. Smokey

Obviously I will vote for Scheer, although not super happy about it. I couldn't possibly in good conscience vote for Trudeau, I can't imagine anyone would who has seen him speak in question period.

BenFrank likes this.
  11. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

You can knock his speaking but the guy is going coast to coast doing town halls facing the people (and some of them very hostile). Last time I checked, the conservative prime minister didn't speak to the press or the people.

12. Scott

rawr

I hate question period. None of them ever talk normal. Its always just yelling at each other, making rude comments, or spinning things completely, regardless of the party.

13. BenFrank

Saucin on You

With an army of speech writers, giving only carefully scripted canned responses.

The guy's a dream boat who can work a crowd that's why the liberal party parade him around. 90% of the audience are star struck fan girls who hang on every word. Most level headed conservatives I know would be nauseated being that close to the guy which is why they stay home. What you're left with are the crazies who stand up yell out of turn (like the girl the other day) and that's what they want - a controlled environment where they can silence these people at exactly the right time, deliver some witty remark discrediting them and then drive home their prepared banter as if it were off the cuff.

You think "As a teacher, I don't normally reward bad behavior but" was something he came up with on his feet?

Those town halls are nothing more than choreographed social engineering and sound bite factories.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  14. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

So which is it? He's a terrible speaker or crowd working dream boat?

Not sure what town halls you've been watching but I wouldn't say they are stacked in his favour, that's for sure. Regardless, instead of just hammering against his looks, maybe try and find a way to help change the things you aren't happy with in government. With things going the way they are, he's going to get a second term. People are watching what conservatives are doing to the USA and it's making the whole ideology toxic. People are terrified a Trump like leader could end up in power here.

15. BenFrank

Saucin on You

He's a crowd working dream boat who sounds smart on script, when he's off script he's terrible you know it and so do I don't make me post countless examples of his um's and ahs. The guy can't think on his feet.

Charisma and the ability to tow the party line only makes you a good Politian, not a good leader.

Conservatives are alive and well Boots, and there's only so many "genderless" babies born before the folks in this country see that it's swinging too far left. There has to be a return to reason.

I don't predict the landslide you do, don't discredit 50% of the population based on the actions of a foreign leader -Trump doesn't speak for all conservatives - especially Canadians - just as not all leftists are Antifa.

We need to get away from playing divisive identity politics and look for common grounds.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. Boots

Boots
    [OP]
    www.reality-check.ca

He agrees!

[​IMG]

17. BenFrank

Saucin on You

Actually to that end, I'm done defending the right on here.

No one's changing anyone's mind on an internet forum - we're just wasting each other's time.

Let's agree to disagree - it's what makes this wonderful world so diverse. I'll stop ripping on the Haircut, you stop BenFrankBenFrank 'ing me every time he does something notable.

Here's to world peace and prosperity for all.

upload_2018-1-16_11-20-23.png

Good Day to you sir.

C. Mike Hunt and Boots like this.
  18. Grifter

Bluh?

This

19. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

It's not the defending the right - it's defending outright racism from Trump when it happens or downplaying it as if it's nothing that bothers me. I've voted Reform, Conservative, NDP, and Liberal in the past. Trudeau's Liberals has done a number of things that bother me since he was elected, especially dropping the promise on Electoral Reform and the shitty job on small business taxes. I still think he was a better candidate than Harper, who was an egomaniac and doing a lot of stuff that Trump now espouses, but he wasn't on Twitter, so it was ignored by a lot of people. IMO, the right needs a more centrist leader, but they've gone the wrong way with Scheer.

ie: Defend the things in the world that should be defended - don't just defend things because they come from the leader in charge of the political party you're aligned with.

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  20. Smokey

Trudeaus failures

-Electoral reform
    -Lower taxes for the middle class
    -Small business tax
    -Crippling debt and deficit spending
    -Carbon tax
    -Giving away billions to other countries

Sure he can repeat canned garbage, he talks a lot without saying a thing.

I align left on most social issues, I don't give a fuck about who you sleep with, or if you choose to smoke weed, have an abortion etc.
    I don't dispute climate change, I dispute the fact that giving anything to the government, especially in a Country with negative carbon footprint will have any effect on climate change, if we as a species even have the ability to change it at all.

I don't want my money going to people who are capable but not willing to work
    I don't want my money going to people who are uneducated or unwilling to move to find decent paying jobs(min wage hikes)
    I don't want my money going to countries who wouldn't do a damn thing for us if roles were reversed
    I don't want to be spending 60% of my income on taxes

BenFrank likes this.
  21. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

What was Harper doing that was better on most fronts?

I'm not defending Trudeau. I just thought Harper was horrible for the country.