1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ego as big as can be - AMA v.HairyAss

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, May 25, 2021.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Feel free to AMA. There's only a small group of us left here. I'll answer as honestly as possible. Or not, but whatever. Sure to start some drama if you want to play along.

2. chainsaw

Why are you such an asshole?
    Lol JK :kekeke:

After living in Seattle for a while now, how are you liking the USA as a “home” and do you see any of your personal views shifting living there? I always enjoy visiting the states and seeing as much of the country as I can, but I don’t know if I could see myself living there (I lived in the states for a year for University and that was an experience lol)

3. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I typically separate out living in Seattle vs. living in the USA. Seattle is about as Canadian as a place can be - it's an amazing place and I love living here - people are friendly & welcoming, there is a ton going on and as long as you have a job that supports the high cost of living, it's pretty idyllic. I don't know that there are other places in the US that quite compare - probably some of the other West Coast cities like Portland, OR or San Francisco but Seattle definitely feels unique.

Saying that, I'm not a huge fan of living in the US. It was worse while Trump was president but there are a few things that really bother me:

- homelessness is rampant here. You could say this is a Seattle thing but it is really bad in any US city I've been to and wont be fixed any time soon given the lack of support for underlying needs of that community.
    - gun laws. I'm pretty anti-gun in general but the NRA and their influence have turned the US into a free for all. That attitude towards guns here is horrible.
    - health care. I have a great job with great benefits so I actually have arguably better health care than I did in Canada but the number of times I see someone trying to raise money to pay medical bills here is insane. And you notice a lot more people walking around with the results of probably not having the money to get in for health care - missing limbs, other visible issues - it's much more obvious here.

I don't think any of my personal views have shifted. I definitely have a better understanding of the differences between Canada and the US and the differences between the different parts of the US. I still view Canada as a better place to live overall and look forward to returning some day (likely when my kids are through high school in ~4 years or so).

chainsaw likes this.
  4. Grifter

Bluh?

I've been wanting to check out Oregon for a couple years now, specifically Bend for me.

I've never heard of Seattle being compared to Canada though, that's interesting for sure. I've always heard of Minnesota as being the "Canada of the U.S."

I'd you could go back in time and reverse one decision you made, or alter it... What would it be and why?

Hot sauce guy?

Steak or lobster?

If you could travel to one place around the world right now, no covid, no conditions. Just a good break, all expenses paid, where and why?

If you could eat dinner or share a beer with one historical figure, who and why?

Same question but any celebrity, alive or dead.

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Funny, we just booked a week at the beginning of July in Bend, OR. I can't wait - it's been on the bucket list since we arrived. I'm doing a 100 mile bike ride the last day we're there - I'm stoked!

There is actually an underground political movement to create a new nation called Cascadia which would be Oregon, Washington, and BC. There are a ton of similarities between them all - Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver are very similar cities.

Reverse one decision I made - I don't know that I would reverse any decisions but I recently made a decision that I wish I'd been able to make much sooner - stopped drinking alcohol. Really, there is nothing to be gained from it (drinking) but I do know there are things around alcohol that have shaped my life in the way it is in a good way so I don't know that I'd want to go back to when I was much younger and never start. We are who we are today based on all of our decisions and I'm pretty happy overall.

Hot sauce - yes but not stupid hot.

Lobster for sure.

Travel... Nova Scotia. Family, it's an easy one. We just had to cancel all of our plans to be there for the summer. I'm eligible for a sabbatical over the summer and it would have been great. If that's cheating, then Europe. I've been to different parts and would love to take my wife and kids to places in Germany, Austria, and Holland I've seen and also check out France and Italy, amongst other places.

Historical figure dinner... I'm going to choose Hitler. I view him as the embodiment of Evil but he was also an artist and apparently really kind to certain people. It's a paradigm I really don't understand. When we're done, I get to stab him in the eye with my fork.

Celebrity... I'd love to go on a bike ride with Conan O'Brien, stop for coffee, have him make me laugh, and then kick his ass biking up a mountain or something. Honestly, a lot of comedians would be great to talk to but I'm picking Conan as I know he's a cyclist. His wife is from Seattle and I have a fantasy of being out for a ride and running into him somewhere - it would be amazing.

6. chainsaw

I really enjoyed Seattle when I was there, wish it was for longer than it was. It had a cool vibe to it and didn’t feel like a typical larger US city. The homelessness and the scope of it did hit me when I first landed in city. Would definitely love to get back and explore some more

The whole health care system, and the impression that everything is politicized are two of my reasons for never thinking on moving to the US. As for the guns, it really feels like a different planet when you are in open carry states, sometimes you forget and it takes you a little off guard. Back in ‘98 I was doing some work at an elementary school in rural Maine. I was shocked to see packages being handed out to the elementary students with big NRA symbols everywhere. Even as a hunter, gun guy I couldn’t believe the NRA was allowed to handout materials, Calendars, agendas etc in an elementary school

I asked about your personal views because of having family members that live in the states (mid west) and over the 40+ years they’ve been there I would consider them to be full blown Americans now lol

7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Give me a few more years. I almost forgot it was Victoria Day this past weekend! Like I said, I feel like a full blown Seattle-ite but not an American.

I was talking to a friend in Minneapolis recently and he was talking about the period after George Floyd’s death and his neighbors just sitting up on their roofs with shotguns. I take my son to Scout camps and there are NRA boot camps happening at the same time. It’s an entire different conversation here than in Canada, as are a lot of political things, I guess.

I also always said I’d never move to the US but I guess 8 years of Obama made it seem like a new country. I’m glad we’re doing it, especially from a job and money perspective but it’s definitely not long term.

chainsaw likes this.
  8. Matt30

Playing any hockey?

9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

No hockey. The city of Seattle doesn’t actually have any sheets of ice! There are places you can drive to but it’s a hike. Once the Kraken get going, their new arena will have ice and they’re building a 4-plex practice facility but I’ve got too many other things on the go to add hockey right now.

10. Goodson

internets!

Is your ass really that hairy?

do you want that "database fundamentals" book back?

any life advice?

and most importantly - whats your favorite color?

11. Grifter

Bluh?

I believe it is. But he seems to like it that way. You may have missed it but I think it was Gooch who tried to help him out when he was looking to re-invent himself once he got to Seattle.... Asked how to enhance his business savvy through grooming habits. Somehow it came up that Gooch said he needed to be clean shaven everywhere with the exception of his head. 17 questioned it... But a couple others backed gooch up, reflecting their own success in life through grooming habits. One was Pdizzle.

Long story short, he got defensive about the idea of shaving his ass. Said he'd think about it. Gooch asked for his address, said he'd send him a life-changing book since they both like to read so much.... This was it. You can find the conversation in the archives if you don't believe me.

41TXeUG-rDL.jpg

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The HairyAss name came from a period of time during University when I was a CO-OP student. There was a group of us constantly driving between Wolfville and Ottawa to do our work terms and during those drives we decided everyone needed a trucker call sign. I can’t remember how I ended up being HairyAss but I did a lot of driving with Dirty Bitch and another guy named Spoon.

I assume you’ve gotten more use out of that book than I ever did!

Life advice: Life is shorter than anyone realises. Don’t wait, take chances.

color… that’s that one that stumps me? I don’t really have a favorite. I do find it hilarious that I make software that is used by millions of people where color is extremely important and I’m slightly colorblind, though!

Goodson likes this.
  13. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

LOL