Educate me on sleeping pills

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by TyTryon, Mar 1, 2009.

1. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

My work schedule has really messed up my sleeping habbits. I need help falling asleep. Are these pills bad for you? I don't really like putting this stuff in my body but need to do something.

2. 17

teenage dirtbag

in for this. I go to bed at 11-12, cant fall asleep until 3-4 and get up at 6:30. I'm constantly exhausted at work.

3. Heather

everything to everyone

Yeah if you can avoid them you should. They do not give you enough REM sleep, thus you usually wake up pretty tired. And you need to give yourself at least 8 hours to sleep if you use them.

But every medication has side effects. If the medication works for you and the side effects don't out way the benefits then there is no problem.

Talk to you Physician!!

4. Heather

everything to everyone

Often if it's getting to sleep, people don't go through the right routine. No caffeine after three and giving yourself enough time to relax without any stimulants. Getting things off my mind is my problem :(

5. 17

teenage dirtbag

I dont have any caffeine intake though. No pop, no coffee. :(

6. bossman

I have a shitty sleeping pattern as well, need to sleep during the day 12pm to whatever time.....I use one of those eye thingys that cover your eyes and make everything dark...

Works like a charm for me and I have to use it 4months a year

7. TyTryon

TyTryon
    [OP]

I don't drink anything with caffeine. :o

My work schedule is just messed up. Some days I'm done at 11:00 pm, some days I'm done at 4:00 am. The days I get off at 11:00, I don't get to sleep until 6:00 am. It's terrible.

8. Heather

everything to everyone

Well there are all kinds of reasons for not being able to get to sleep. If it's really starting to affect your life you should go to your physician and talk about a plan to help. Sometimes it's little things like spending a lot of time on your bed (watching tv or doing work) your body becomes accustomed to it and it's harder to associate it with sleep. Thus, only laying down in your bed when it's time to sleep sometimes helps!

9. thunder

my av is me

Did you try melatonin you homosexual?

My health psychology prof said that sleeping pills often dont actually give you any more sleep, or get you to sleep any quicker, but their effect is more that you forget how long it took you to get to sleep the next day.

Studies I've read show an increase in sleep onset on average around 10 minutes. Not huge when we're talking hours.

Sleep hygiene is the number 1 thing you can do to help you sleep better. Progressive muscle relaxation also is shown to be effective to help you relax and get to sleep.

Melatonin has been shown to reduce sleep onset latency, and is effective in shifting sleep phase... assuming the brand you buy is reputable and effective (it is not FDA regulated and as such has no quality control)

10. Heather

everything to everyone

I know what you mean, I work shift work so I work night shifts as well. A lose dose of a sedative might work for you when you really need to sleep. Like 1mg of ativan. It wouldn't be as strong as a sleeping pill but may get you to relax enough to get out of that work mode.

11. pohead

b00b

12. thunder

my av is me

My recommendation would be to try everything but things like Ativan, and if nothing else works, then move towards that shit.

13. Heather

everything to everyone

Melatonin works for some people. But you really talk to your Physician before using it. You need to watch the dosages. High dosages can be counteractive

14. thunder

my av is me

15. Heather

everything to everyone

Thus, what I said in my first post, try not to use them.

16. thunder

my av is me

What sorts of high doses are you referring to? I started taking melatonin in the fall, and because of a class I was taking, had the time/opportunity to do a thorough literature search for a paper I wrote on it.

17. thunder

my av is me

You can also help out your endogenous melatonin production by things like getting adequate full spectrum light during the day (such as by daylight or a sad lamp), and making sure your environment is dark at night when you want to be going sleepytime.

18. Heather

everything to everyone

Well when I was in school for my pharmacology class I did a paper on sleeping aids and melatonin was one of the best things out there. I'm not disagreeing at all. I just think that you need to be have a good physician to be partners with and make a plan together. Supplements are great, but you can't just take pop em because someone tells you it will work. I found in literature searches as well that high does, more then 3mg a day can cause headaches and grogginess. I've had pt's tell me this too, with lower doses.

19. thunder

my av is me

I found .3 in the early evening to be the most effective, but I would often take .6mg right before bed to try to get me to be drowsy. But smaller doses in the earlier evening > larger doses right before bed, it seems. I would rarely take it every day too... maybe a couple times a week if I was concerned I wouldnt get a good sleep that night (too much caffeine during the day, slept in, took a nap, etc).

20. Heather

everything to everyone

I'm glad it works for you!

21. boing

Banned

I have taken a couple different "sleeping pills" when I was in the hospital there were a few nights that I used ativan and it seemed to really put my brain into park and let me fall asleep. My Dr also gave me some Zopiclone back in October and they seem to work but don't use them very often.

22. thunder

my av is me

Word. Its funny, because everyone I know and their dog seems to be taking melatonin these days (at least students, it seems).

To be honest, for awhile I was taking it everyday because I became addicted to the vivid dreams it gave me :happysad: Especially sex dreams :o

23. thunder

my av is me

I've been prescribed numerous different sleeping pills over the years... but I always use them once or twice, and then end up never wanting to go back to them. Sleeping pills make me feel like shit the next day... super groggy, cant get my brain to wake up, etc. My concern with taking ativan for sleep (while I've taken it and loved it too) would be its increased risk for abuse and dependence. I've had a lot of participants of my study, for instance, say they've abused ativan, or developed dependence on it, whereas no one has said "Oh yeah I totally abused melatonin, took it in larger doses then I was supposed to, took it to get high" etc. And ativan has some serious potential health consequences.

24. Jentay

I would try something else first... they arnt sleeping pills but I got addicted to caffeine pills in second year uni (mostly because of too much partying) but even after I stopped taking them, I could stay awake without them... relying on something for energy or sleep is a bad idea in my eyes

25. boing

Banned

I only took the atavan while in the hospital and needed my rest. I only use the zopiclone when it is past 3am and I am still wide awake and I need to at work in 4 hours.

I know I have not taken more than 15 sleeping pills in the last five years. But sometimes they are necessary, at least for me :pillhead:

26. Miss Shawty

I take vitamns that have relaxers in them when I cant sleep.

Sleeping pills are horrible and should be avoided at all costs, they get addicting.

27. slouse

I know this sounds like a dumb idea, and I would never do it, but why not smoke weed?

28. thunder

my av is me

Why is smoking weed a dumb idea? :rofl:

29. slouse

because its gross and illegal and usually only performed by hippies and loser potheads

30. thunder

my av is me

Not gross. Not illegal for a good reason. Great recreational drug...

But like anything, gross with excessive use.

31. cavy0801

Master Of Sarcasm

they make you fall asleep....

32. thagurlnextdoor

Forgive me if already mentioned because I didnt read the thread...

I know you can get zoplicone/immovane prescribed for trouble sleeping and it doesnt 'help you sleep' it kicks in for a short period to help 'get you to sleep'... it can be used as needed and it works quickly...

I myself have used these before and haven't found them 'addicting' or hard to stop using

33. thunder

my av is me

Oh, and while progressive muscle relaxation totally works... I, myself, am too lazy to actually do it. :rofl: Fuck.

34. pohead

b00b

huh....that's a pretty harsh judgement..consdering that some potheads are successful doctors and lawyers so... :impy:

:kiss: I love you.

35. Elcoopto

Some doctors and lawyers use coke. Perhaps we all should.