Educate me on cameras?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Pinkette, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Pinkette

Pinkette
    [OP]

So I was originally thinking of keeping my ghetto fujifilm finepix sl1000 for photos and just getting a camcorder.

Now after posting on here and 800 youtube videos I'm maybe searching for a used Canon EOS M5.

Is there any major downside to a mirrorless camera?

I was considering the EOS M3 because it's much cheaper especially used but it has no image/video stabilization.

Also considered the much cheaper lower end canon G7X but I can't get an external mic for it and the sound isn't great. Looked into the Sony rx100 but honestly for that price I might as well buy something much nicer.

What I need (or think I need)

Image/video stabilization

Option for external mic or a real badass built in mic.

Ability to take more than a 12 minute video. 30 will probably be fine.

A screen so I can see myself while I'm holding the camera in my hand. I prefer it to fold up or down and not to the side but honestly I'll survive with a side screen.

HD video quality.

Video/camera to pick up as true to real colors as possible. I've been through a lot of hair colors over the years and most of my cameras couldn't actually photograph the color. I find pinks and purples seem to be what drastically fails.

If all else fails I'm just buying a pixel lol.

2. never_be_sold

Sony A6000.

Hands down. Great little camera, ours was stolen in Equidor, we still have an A5000 and an A7ii.

Plan on replacing the A6000 before our next trip.

Great lens selections, cheap with high performance.

3. Pinkette

Pinkette
    [OP]

This one is on my watch out for list too actually. I can't remember why I prioritized it behind the canon.
    I have a list to check for on kijiji and on the Henrys website used.

Edited to add it's the back screen that bumped it down my list. Doesn't look like It will face entirely forward.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. never_be_sold

You may want to take a look at the A5000 then. Same sensor. The only thing I don’t like about it is the touch screen.

5. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

I can't recommend a specific camera but will say you're on the right track by looking DSLR with external microphone.

The other thing I will note is that video stabilization is possible in software and doesn't necessarily need to be on camera. If you're spending an extra $500 on a camera for that feature but can buy software for $150, it's something to consider. I've never heard of the software you said you're using for editing so can't comment on that.

6. Pinkette

Pinkette
    [OP]

Ok, I'm thinking the Canon EOS M6. It's a lot cheaper than the M5 because you don't get a viewfinder. I have never once used my viewfinder in my current camera so I think I could save a few bucks there and if I later decide I need it I can buy the electronic one that fits on the shoe.

I REALLY like the manual dials on the top of this camera.

I will probably spend a few weeks researching mirrorless to see if this if the route I want to go.

I think I prefer to go the route of having stabilization in the camera. Although if I can't get a deal I want I may settle for the EOS M3 and try the software route. I'm going to check and see if the cannon mirrorless lenses have optical stabilization in them. Because that would make my decision easier as well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. Relentless

Fuji X-T20 fits most if not all of what you are looking for.

I just picked one up about a week and a half go. Loving it so far.

8. Pinkette

Pinkette
    [OP]

I will check this out. I found a great deal on the EOS M6 but I'm still open to cheaper options.

Edited to add: The lcd screen doesn't have the option to face forward. That's a deal breaker for me. If this camera had that feature I would have easily chosen it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  9. Relentless

You can link to your cell phone much like GoPro to see what you are shooting if that helps.