ebay

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by lanne, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lanne

lanne
    [OP]

Would anyone suggest buying lenses and other equipment from ebay? I've never bought anything from there and am unsure if the sellers can be trusted.

Since most items come from the US, I'm assuming that I would have to pay the NS taxes, factor in the exchange rate, and add shipping, but are there any other fees?

2. A~Photography

I Love ebay personally some things i find really good through there not sure about lenses but henry's has an ebay auction check out there site.. sometimes you pay brokerage fees, applicable taxes and other times you don't it depends if it goes through customs most bigger parcels seem to i also look at the seller i usually only buy from power sellers..

3. SheOfManyChildren

I've bought and sold with Ebay...never an issue. You just have to be smart about it. Do your homework.

4. Julie

I've bought and sold with ebay as well. Never had any problems.
    First of all you look at the sellers rating. If there are questionable comments then I would wouldn't bother. If the item you are looking at is in the states, ask the seller if they will send it as a gift, this avoids brokerage and custom and tax at the border. Find this out before the end of auction. Actually find out before bidding. And yes Henrys has an ebay store to :)

5. HatMan

Pentaxian Extraordinaire

I've bought lots of gear off e-bay over the years. Only one issue with one seller and PayPal resolved it and got me my money back. Like badness says, ready through the sellers comments especially the negative or neutral feedback if they have any and remember to weigh them with a pound of cynicism. If they have 1000 positive and one really bad negative it's likely sour grapes over a poor decision by the buyer.

Once I didn't read the description closely enough and ended up paying way too much for a NASCAR die cast. But it was entirely my fault, so I ended up leaving positive feedback for the seller because everything they did was correct. Lesson learned. Great source of used and new photo gear.

Happy e-baying!

6. mcgraths

Timestopper

I buy lots of stuff on eBay, but have recently decided against buying any decent quality lenses on eBay. My reasons are that it seems like it is a common thing to get a "dud" lens, especially with brands like Sigma and Tamron, but also true for Nikon lenses (just not as common).

With the risks of this, I also won't buy them from the the US either, because sometimes the warranty isn't valid up here in Canada.

Most other gear I have no problem buying on eBay. I actually bought my D80 on there!

7. lanne

lanne
    [OP]

Thanks for the help guys.

8. MikeM

I wouldn't recommend asking the seller to mark item as a gift, customs are getting WAY too smart for that and it truly isn't worth the fine or possible jail time for you or the seller.... just my 2 cents

9. Arod

I agree. The large sellers have accounts with UPS/USPS and they cannot get away with not declaring the value of the goods they ship across the border.

10. Julie

Most of what I have purchased is from private sales anyways. They will send as a gift. I also put my personal name instead of my business name if I send to the states and send as a gift. So far so good.

11. lanne

lanne
    [OP]

I've decided to buy from Adorama.com instead. There was an option to mark as a gift and I chose it. Hopefully I won't have to pay any extra fees!

12. Julie

Congrats and be sure to post photos :)

13. SheOfManyChildren

Pretty sure this just means the invoice doesn't have pricing on it. The assumption is that you are buying it as a gift for someone else.

14. Arod

Tanya speaks the truth. If it for sending the item as a gift to an address other than the billing address. You will still receive the invoice along with any applicable taxes/brokerage. Shame that adorama doesn't offer UPS worldwide saver as an option like BH does...much better option than express.

What did you get anyway?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  15. lanne

lanne
    [OP]

I figured the gift thing was too good to be true. Hopefully the fees won't be too steep.

As for what I ordered: nothing too exciting... Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6. A little upgrade to my kit 18-55mm. What I really wanted was a 17-55mm f/2.8, but I'm a poor student hehe.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009