1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burners

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C13, Oct 4, 2004.

1. C13

C13
    [OP]

I remember that when CD-R/RW drives first came out, they were super-expensive and super-slow (at least by today's standards), and over the span of several years got to the speeds and easily affordable prices that they are now. Are DVD burners following this same trend, or are they already at what would be considered a "decent" speed for the price? I was also wondering what is meant when a DVD is referred to as + or -.

2. visual_kool

DVD burners are only about $50-60 more than a cd burner. Not going to get all that much cheaper, just faster from now on.

There was a big pissing contest between companies (Sony, RCA, etc) as to what format the dvd media should take. So some went with the +r standard and the others went with the -r standard. -R is cheaper, but not as stable as the +R. The +R is better now since it has the dual layer so that you can get 8.5 gig instead of just 4.7 onto one disk.

You have to be aware that some dvd players will not handle both formats. For instance, RCA has supported the +R only. You cannot play a -R disk in an RCA player.

3. Digital_7

I'm not sure about stable or not... but the DVD-R format is more widely usable... but since 95% of all new dvd players are commin' out play both format's you don'thave much to worrie about, unless you plan to "BACK-UP" game's fro your X-Box. From what I hear X-box will only read +R DVD games (don't quote me on this). I've been usin' my -R burner for well over a year now.. and never had a problem with the -R format to date.

4. C13

C13
    [OP]

Ah, cool cool. Do you think that they're going to get a lot faster in the future, or is now a good time to buy one without it becoming too obselete?

5. visual_kool

An 8x burner will do a movie in 20 or so mins. Most burners are 12x now and I think they have 16x ones just out. I'd say it's more than safe to get one now and have it be useful for a long time.

6. C13

C13
    [OP]

Awesome, thanks dude.

7. JustMe

If you don't need one right away you might want to wait though. They just came out with the burners for 8.5 gigs, and later I figure they will have the 17 gig burners (waiting to get one of those for my next one). I have one that will do the 4.7 gigs, been happy with it. You can't really go wrong if you get one now though, they're not that expensive, even the 8.5 gig ones aren't up there in price.

When I bought my first cd burner (4x) it cost me $500 plus tax. I have a NEC 2500a DVD burner, got it for $120, does every standard except RAM (which is used by businesses, the DVDs cost $25 I heard). If you going to make good use of one now it's worth buying, I back up all sorts of data on mine (filled up the 160 gig harddrive to quick).

JustMe

8. C13

C13
    [OP]

Yeah, I have an 80 gig hard drive that I have filled. It's mostly movies that I just haven't had time to watch yet tho, and so I dunno if they're decent rips without any major encoding flaws. Hence I don't typically burn something if I haven't already watched it. I've been considering getting a new 160 gig hard drive (or even a 250 gig since it's on sale for the same price as the 160 gig at Futureshop.ca). I'm in no huge rush though, so I may just wait it out then.

My first CD burner was also about $500, but I more than made that up with the "backups" of games I'd been able to create. I'm thinking I can prolly do the same with DVDs and such, especially since the burners aren't that much anymore.

9. JBI

JBI
    tight hole stimulator

Man,first things first. Don't shop at Future shop. Ifg you are planning on buying any computer hardware then you should wait until you are back visiting in Halifax and go to Greenlyph. His prices are way better than future shop and you don't have to wait around for your mail in rebates to come back. Right now he has a 200 gig western digital for 151. Hell,he even has a 200 gig SATA drive for only 168, or even a 120 gig for 97 bucks.

Here is a link to his DVD burners in case you decide to go that way.
    http://www.greenlyph.com/index.php?cPath=25

10. C13

C13
    [OP]

:o AWESOME! I'll definitely have to check that site out. I could always get my 'rents to get stuff for me, then just ship it out here for a couple bucks more.

11. JustMe

Yea, I got my DVD burner at GreenLyph, good store. I also like Mysterybyte ( http://www.mysterybyte.com ), but if you're going to get a DVD burner hit up GreenLyph, they have some 16x 8.5 gig burners for like $120 right now I think.

JustMe

12. visual_kool

17gig burner?? Since when do they have 17 gig media??

13. AcidGord

Since when do they have 8X dual layer media? The burners always come out first and the media follows. 17G media is just dual layer, dual side.

14. JustMe

It will come out in time, just like the 8.5 gig media. My burner is 8x and I still haven't seen 4.7 gig media certified for 8x burning. Nero doesn't even let me try it at eight, just updated recently to the new version and I can do it at 6x, but do it at 4x until the media and software are certified/ready.

I saw in the Gusiness book of world records (or something similiar to it) a couple years ago the record was a 100 gig disk. Not sure how it worked and never seen it used anywhere or heard about it since.

JustMe

15. Digital_7

Well I tell you this... my DVD-Burner Set top box (Panasonic PVR/DVD-R) Burns at 26x and I only use 4x media... and I never have a prob with it.

So I wouldn't worrie about the media to much.

16. C13

C13
    [OP]

Any tips on what brands to go for or avoid?

17. Digital_7

I haven't found any to avoid.... mabey I'm just lucky I don't know... I've burned quite a few dvd's... and never had a bad one... and I just buy the spindle's so. Take it for what it's worth I guess.

18. C13

C13
    [OP]

I was actually talking about the burners themselves.

19. Digital_7

OH sorry... well I have and older Toshiba, which I find have always made good stuff... also the Pioneer are well looked up to also.

20. C13

C13
    [OP]

Yeah, I think I saw a Pioneer among those at that Greenlyph store... Do these things typically come with burning software (like a DVD version of Nero or something)? Also, are they hard to install? I've always been a sucker and gotten stuff installed for me. That's not a very likely possibility if I'm gonna get the 'rents to snag one and bring it down for me.

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Nero supports burning both. As for burning higher then media is rated for. Your just asking for corrupt data.

22. C13

C13
    [OP]

Oh, my bad... now that I think of it my Nero does do DVDs. I just always ignored it before because I don't have a DVD burner.

23. Teknic

I got a 16X Dual Layer DVD+-RW burner from Mysterybyte for $96. Made 2 coasters so far out of 25 (one was a buffer under-run, and the other was not enough disc space halfway through burning).

Not as foolproof as CD-R burning, but my god the results are SOOOOO worth it.

It's ripped anything I throw at it, and burns a DVD in only 12 min.... Using 4x speed :D It is capable of burning most 8x DVD-R's at 16x which only takes around 3 - 4 minutes :) Giggidy giggidy

(Reason I burn at 4x is I cheaped out and got the Ritek R04 DVD-R's, and they're only 4x)

24. C13

C13
    [OP]

Yeah, I definitely need to get my hands on a DVD burner then... my 80 gig drive is full to the brim right now.

25. Lowvez

i know that DVD -R's are the best for Sony machines. The -R's work in all Sony DVD players and play station 2's because Sony supports the -R format.

26. JoeLouie

If you're in Ontario, check out http://www.pccanada.com I'm pretty sure they're right in Toronto.
    When I built my computer I spend about $1200 there and have nothing but good things to say about them. Their prices are also cheaper than anything around Halifax, and when I ordered from them I only had to pay 7% GST instead of the 15% HST, so even with shipping it still worked out cheaper than anything around Hali.