Breaking News Dr. Errol Gaum's licence to practise dentistry in Nova Scotia is suspended, effective immediately.

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by C. Mike Hunt, Nov 19, 2020.

1. C. Mike Hunt

For those following:

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...al-dental-board-of-nova-scotia-861265016.html

Statement by Dr. Curtis Gregoire, Deputy Registrar, Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia

BEDFORD, NS, Nov. 19, 2020 /CNW/ - On the evening of Wednesday November 18, 2020, pursuant to Section 34 of the Dental Act, an emergency meeting of the Complaints Committee of the Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia was convened to consider recent complaints made against Dr. Errol Gaum, a Registered Dentist practicing in Bedford, Nova Scotia.

After reviewing the complaints, the Committee ordered that Dr. Gaum's license to practice dentistry in the Province of Nova Scotia be suspended indefinitely, effective immediately.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Wonder what he did?

3. MRA

MRA

The announcement comes about one week after allegations of professional misconduct, including using excessive force on children while they were in his dentist chair, began surfacing on social media.

4. C. Mike Hunt

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Damn, looks like this has been going on for years too.. gross :(

6. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I saw him 35 years and 12 teeth ago. I was held down by my arms and legs and had my nose pinched to force my mouth open. While many of the people making accusations are reading more into things than they should and making some crazy allegations, he left lasting scars on hundreds of people. Facebook is the only reason this ever progressed this far, but it's unfortunately letting people take it too far.

C. Mike Hunt and Boots like this.
  7. C. Mike Hunt

Holy shit man. Sorry to hear.

One of the things I'm reading is that there've been complaints going back years (if not decades) and the stock reply was, "It's your word against his."

8. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Some people have said that they complained to the dental board in the past but never heard back. Not proven. There's lots of allegations, some 100% true, some that make no sense, and some that seemed to be embellished a little.
    The stories of being held down, 100% accurate.kids leaving with bruises, yep. Kids screaming for help, absolutely. Stories of a sound proof room, who knows but completely irrelevant. Being treated without freezing, unfortunately not provable. Parents not being allowed the room, true, but he was an oral surgeon, and truth is, a parent present could make a child more comfortable with getting worked up. Then there are others claiming billing fraud towards MSI, not my fight, don't care.
    Much of it will be contested. There is a technique that used to be taught to dentist's to settle kids down by holding your hand over their mouth and calmly saying that once you calm down, the bad will be removed. In my opinion he's not a masochist that gets his jolly off hurting kids. He got way to comfortable with the technique and just instantly jumped to every kid is going to fight back, why let it escalate, we'll just hold every kid down right away. So when that was done, kids would go crazy, and basically it would become a self fulfilling prophecy. When I was old enough to stand my ground, probably around 13 I refused to go to the dentist ever again. Didn't go back for probably 10-15 years, and even now, if I am ever told I have a cavity or need anything done that would require freezing, it would require general anesthetic at the hospital. There's just not a chance in hell a needle would get near my face without the dentist being laid out. Thankfully that's yet to have needed to happen.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  9. Scott

rawr

He did the same to my brother and I. I still have panic attacks a the dentist. Hes a monster this was long overdue

10. ouird

I'm Weird

I had some pretty bad experiences with Dentists as a kid. Not with this particular person, but I'm in the same boat as CheddarCheddar . There's no way in hell i'll let a needle near my face.
    I also have a fear of needles that will literally cause me to throw up.

11. Wayne

I never had this dentist either, but I had a military dentist be what I considered "too rough" in college, took me a long time to go back, in fact the first time was within the last couple months.

I had an anxiety attack which I don't normally get, they worked with me and had the oral surgeon who they swore to me was very good at freezing procedures, as I don't freeze very well. He was, and ended up getting a scaling and wisdom tooth out with no pain. I later went back to get the other half scaled and a filling replaced, he did the same thing and it went off smoothly as well. However, I still had a partial anxiety attack, heart raced through the entire scaling.

However, having a kind staff and a surgeon who took my fear and freezing issues seriously really has reduced my fears.

12. 17

teenage dirtbag

I’ve had braces, wisdom teeth out and veneers. Veneers were the worst and I really hate going to the dentist after that procedure so I keep my mouth health A1 so my cleanings are like 15-20 min and I can split ASAP

13. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Reading this thread is making me realize how lucky I am to have a great dentist. Sucks you guys had those experiences :(

MRA likes this.
  14. Lex Lucas

feels good.

You guys need a dentist that has nitrous oxide. Makes the experience way better and enjoyable.

15. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Yeah I just don't see that happening. Typically after you've been held down, giving up you ability to fight back is pretty low on the likely hood scale.

16. Scott

rawr

I tend to already take an Ativan to calm the nerves. My dentist now is wonderful. But it can still be overwhelming