DIY Air/fuel ratio

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Omerta, May 27, 2004.

1. Omerta

Omerta
    [OP]

2. Eisenflower

A/F display, readouts, and gauges are pretty much all useless bro. Honestly, why bother monitoring something that is irrellevant if it's not being accurately and displayed properly?

If your on a tight budget then at least spend a few hundred dollars and pick yourself up a good EGT gauge with a probe. An EGT is a worthy meter to have. An open element EGT responds fast and can give very accurate temp readings in a split second. (However, most EGT's for "street" use are not open element sensors but will last much longer.) Most people who are very skilled tuners can determine engine conditions based on the EGT readings. With that said, a wideband O2 is a very good tool for tuning use along with an EGT. Things like ignition timing, fuel conditions and so fourth can cause high EGT's that a wideband O2 may not pick up since to the O2 sensor, the mixture itself is correct.

Honestly, don't even bother wasting your time making that, it will serve no purpose what-so-ever, accept make you look like yet another ricer that buys/makes useless crap.

Say no to rice kids, say NO to rice!

Cheers,
    Steve

3. AcidGord

You can get good results in an AF guage with a wideband O2 sensor, but then you're spending $400 on the sensor, you might as well buy a real guage at that point. :)

4. John Doe

I agree completely with what the douche who slammed his hand in the door said!

5. PirateSteve

One other thing to remember though, especially related to a stock 4 wire o2 sensor is that they are designed to keep a vehicle at a theoretical best combustion situation eg. 14.7:1 For tuning purposes, especially if you are looking for power, you will want to be in the 12 to 12.5:1 range. The stock o2 sensors are engineered to only give accurate readings at or around 14.7:1 since that is their main focus. A wide band sensor has a much wider range, hence the name, and is many times more accurate than a stock sensor at readings of 10:1 up to 18:1 In regards to the EGT gauge, I find they are a little bit slow to react unless you spend a lot of cash and get something digital.

6. Omerta

Omerta
    [OP]

Aw damn i guess no one likes what i found i guess ill spend the 20$ i would have spent on thease and rivet some used altezzas to my double decker spoiler