1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Windows XP on Non Dell Computer

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Jimmy_B, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B
    [OP]

Does anyone know if the dell windows xp disk will work if i install it on a non-dell computer?

2. Rizzle

Habs>Leafs

my aunt used miy cd once u just need to have the service tag off the comp it was supplied with

3. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B
    [OP]

alright, cool. I will try it but I heard it searches something to see if it is actually a dell computer before installing.

4. Rizzle

Habs>Leafs

not sure it did work on her comp but she took it off she likes windows me better

5. GiPWeb

Me is I

it'll work alot of people that have pirated versions have the dell oem release to manufacturer version of windows xp.

G.i.P

6. Fred

Retired

Do you mean a recovery disk? I'm pretty sure they'll only work on the original. They reinstall all the apps that came with it too.

7. GiPWeb

Me is I

Ok I thought I might have to explain this more so here goes.

Open the cd from inside windows and go to the i386 folder on the drive and look for the setup.exe run that and it will work.

For fresh install you may need to get the winxp floppy boot disk and write them to six floppies and then (if when you look at the recovery disk and the i386 folder isnt in the top most directory, ie c:\i386) burn the i386 folder to a new disk. Boot from the floppy and put the cdrom (burned or orig) in the drive and you should be good to go.

First thing I would try though is to pop in the recovery cd and set my system to boot from cdrom and see if it works.

G.i.P

edited for clarity.
    Any questions.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  8. ZorK

I post, therefore I exist

she likes windows ME better ???? omg why doesn't she just turn off the computer n go to sleep! :D:D:D

9. robmcneil

you can use dell cds to install (they are just home edition cds that are relabeld), but its gonna want you to activate windows.
    usually by calling in and giving the PID and then they give you a 55digit code to put in, windows Geniune Advantage crap..supposed to help with piracy.

10. Hoyt

if you're installing from the i386 folder its winnt32.exe for setup in windows(upgrade)and winnt.exe if you boot of a WinME cd and install from dos(also be sure to run SMARTDRV)

Can't install anything from the recovery console...

As far as I know it will install with a Dell CD just fine as it is only slightly modified, unlike the crap that Compaq and HP load on to their reinstallation disks.

Only think I would worry about is activation, its going to generate a System Code that may not match that of a DELL and may not be able to activate.

11. GiPWeb

Me is I

thx for the clarification been awhile since I had to do an install that way.

G.i.P