Dell Computer Stuff...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Davan, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Davan

Davan
    [OP]
    do what now?

Well, through work I am able to order me some new toys. 8) All Dell stuff, since we have a partnership.

What I'm looking for is a laptop. I need something with a decent display (I figure what you stare at is the most important peice of a computer system), 512mb ram, decent vid card, and wifi.

Processor and hard disk size aren't really that important. Something around 1.4 GHZ and 40 Gigs would be fine.

What is important to me most is the display, internal wifi, and portability.

My first thought is the Inspiron 8600. It's got the 15.4 inch widescreen, but doesn't seem like it's too big... I like the size and wieght of the 600m, but unfortunately you can't get the widescreen with that unit.

Any ideas/suggestions? Pat? Boots? Anyone else? Thought I'd throw this up here and see what others think... I haven't followed laptop technology much lately. Centrino what? :D

I'll also be getting an Axim x3i and the 15gig Jukebox.... just for fun. :D A couple weeks ago there was a deal, buy a laptop and get a half price jukebox... I hope that deal comes back soon. :)

2. grahamr

GrahamR :D

i have a 600m and i love it. i thought at first the screen size was going to be an issue but its not, especially when you factor in the lower weight.
    i got mine with the 1024x768 display (not the + one) 64meg ati 9000, 512 ram, dvd+rw, and a centrino 1.4 and i love it.
    i can even play americas army and ut2k4 on it with details set to medium @ 800x600 or 1024 with details set to some low some med. i know thats not great but for a laptop that cost less then 2000... can't beat it

if you want preformance look at that new 9100 series or the XPS, they are heavy as hell but REALLY fast...

pm me if you have any other questions about the 600m

3. Davan

Davan
    [OP]
    do what now?

I'll be ordering tomorrow. I'm sticking with the 8600. Seems to be the compromise between size and performance. The current deal is a free upgrade to 512 meg ram and free upgrade to 128 meg ati 9600 pro vid card. So that's making it worth it to order now. Through the partnership my work has with dell I'm getting approx $350 off the regular price. :)

4. grahamr

GrahamR :D

yeah the 8600 is awesome. the video card in it and the ram upgrade are definatly going to make it worth your while!

5. Davan

Davan
    [OP]
    do what now?

Well I just made an order. I chose the online banking payment option... so I checked out, confirmed my address and all that... then that was it. I was never asked any banking information. I recieved a confirmation email saying to use xxxxxx as the account number when selecting Dell Computer Corporation as a Payee.

And that's it.

So, what do I do now? Do I just send Dell the money through my online banking and they magically know what it's for and who it's from? Or do I wait for a bill or something?

Anyone ever go through this and know the steps I should take here? Thanks!

6. ANGELL

Triple door fridge made it kid

*waiting for Pat*

7. Davan

Davan
    [OP]
    do what now?

A Dell rep actually called me back within 15 minutes. It's all sorted out. There is a place in the online banking where you enter your customer number that they email you. That's how they identify the payment. :)