decisions, decisions. v phone crew

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by nb132, Feb 3, 2009.

1. nb132

nb132
    [OP]
    Drunk Batman hates you

My curve has shit the bed as I stated in the other thread. I love my curve...but I will admit I am nervous about running into problems down the road if i get another one or get this repaired.
    Wife wants the storm...and I will admit I have been thinking about it...but I don't like being an early adopter of first gen stuff....seems like soooo much to go wrong. I have heard pretty much all bad things about the storm. :( Do people here have them? Opinoins? Also 249 on a 3 yr contract is relatively expensive.
    Then I come back to the iphone....something about this device keeps getting my interest. I ALLLLLMOST went that route in the fall, but Bell talked me into staying. I can't see myself staying with these asshats...so i have to pick a new company anyway. I worry about the data useage as the only iphone plan i saw was for 500mb...can any iphone users sign in with opinions? What are your data uses like per month and what are you doing with your phone?
    :( I really don't know what to do.

2. Codith

I have an iPhone and I highly recommend it. Hackey time haha!

3. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

I just got new hardware...I stayed with the curve...
    Storm was too much $$$ (tax payers) and all of the testers here said it's not really good for work (email typing)...
    I had no issues with my last curve
    Dude, you have bad luck with tech stuff

4. MRA

MRA

I run a 3G Iphone.

My total monthly bill with the 6gig data plan is $66

I have NEVER come close to 6gigs, pretty sure you'd have to make some SERIOUS effort to hit the 6gigs.

All kinds of crazy apps to use, you can jailbreak it and run even more cool apps.

5. humberc

Climbing Scrillamanjaro

Im picking up an iphone this week (switching from fucking bell) having an itouch really sealed the deal for me with seeing how much time you can pick up a hot spot or something with the wifi and not touch your data. The iphone has 500mb, 1gb and 2gb plans currently available. It all depends on how much you want to spend I guess. Rogers has a good pamphlet that shows how much data you use per webpage, email, etc and then shows how many of those things you can use with 500mb, 1gb, 2gb. Personally, 500mb seems like more than enough for myself.

Hope that helps, oh and yeah the storm is garbage, the return rate is pretty high on them.

6. nb132

nb132
    [OP]
    Drunk Batman hates you

what is your plan like? your useage? your bill? (I'm not nickel and diming I am paying 129+tx for my bb plan i have right now-I just want to know what i'm getting myself into)
    I think the price went up on the iphones...i'm pretty sure i remember it being cheaper than 199 for the 8gb. 199 on a 3yr deal isn't super duper....i can get a curve on a new 3yr deal for 79 and I love my curve.

7. nb132

nb132
    [OP]
    Drunk Batman hates you

Thing is that I usually NEVER have bad luck with tech stuff :( Ever.
    I do a lot of e-mail on the phone....wonder why they say its bad for e-mail?

8. JAC

JAC
    Brathair Brewing

They (IT testers) said it wasn't great for typing???

9. markw

Storm is really bad, I had it for about 10 days before going back to my OG bb :lol:

10. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

My iPhone is great - no idea how much my monthly bill is, it all goes to work. I know I'm on the 6Gig data plan.

If you're used to typing on the BB, you'll find texting and emailing slower. The touch screen interface is nice, but you're limited speed-wise with it.

It's the first cell I've owned I enjoy 100% and I usually either break or lose them after 6 months or so, so I've had a few.

It's too bad the Palm Pre isn't ready yet.. I have a friend who worked on both the iPhone and the Pre and says the Pre kicks ass..

11. nb132

nb132
    [OP]
    Drunk Batman hates you

what about typing...if you tilt the phone to the side will a horizontal keyboard pop up a la storm?
    i like so many aspects of the iphone, but what about push e-mail? i have like 4 addy's i want to come directly to the phone when i recieve something...i don't think i could not have that feature anymore..and i can't just forward all to one account i need the replies to go out from the addys they're sent to

12. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

yep, you can get the horizontal keyboard if you tilt to the side. I honestly don't do it much.. maybe it would let me type quicker, I should try it out!

I'm not certain of _all_ the options for email, but you can set up multiple accounts easily enough. I know they support POP (blech) and IMAP. The IMAP stuff is awesome. I have 2 accounts that come to my phone and reply separately for each for the accounts they came from.

13. Duggan

They only thing that I find when I leave push on is that the battery life is quite low. I didn't like the iPhone at first and was very close to returning it but it has grown on me and I love all the application. I use it for work and it cost be about $50 less per month than my BB did. As for Data I have only used about 600mb over 4 months, unless you are constantly downloading things through 3g you should be fine. I could be wrong but I don't believe you are dinged for usage when you are on wifi.

14. cRoy

SensArmy

I also have had the iPhone since launch. The phone is Amazing. It was the first apple product I have ever owned, now i don't what I would do without. I usually get sick of my phones pretty quick (the Nokia N95, I sold in 2 months, lol) This phone has been reliable right from day one, does what I need it to do & more.

Yes you can have your emails pushed, I believe you can set how often you want it to check for them. I would Highly recommend this to anyone looking for a smart phone.

Also, the 6gig date plan isn't offered anymore. When I bought my wife's iPhone at Christmas they had 500mb for $25 or 1gig for $30. They may have other plans, just have to check it out.

As Duggan said when on Wi-Fi you do not get charged. I noticed when I was downtown Halifax there are quite a few wifi zones, which helps a lot.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  15. JoeLouie

I think that when my current plan is up I'm going to switch to Rogers and get an iPhone. I've been with Telus forever and haven't had any problems, but I want an iPhone lol

My uncle has an iPhone and every time I see him he's always showing me new stuff he can do on it. Last week he figured out how to get live tv on it... pretty cool if you ask me.

16. nb132

nb132
    [OP]
    Drunk Batman hates you

meh. i don't really care about any of that.
    ohhhhh is it true that there is no gps navigation on the iphone?

17. JoeLouie

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is.

18. TheDirtyFresh

There's a gps type setup that uses google maps

19. Duggan

It follows me on the highway, on the map when I stop at an intersection it is very accurate. Not sure if it uses GPS but it certain tracks you.

20. TheDirtyFresh

Exactly, I didn't want to say "gps" because I have no idea how it works, but the end result is just as good as any gps I've ever used :shrug:

21. nb132

nb132
    [OP]
    Drunk Batman hates you

i think i've made up my mind.
    I have to buy two tho because the wife needs/wants an upgrade for her phone and if i'm getting an iphone i'm positive she's going to want one.
    450 bucks is pretty steep...especially since it's locked into a friggin 3 year deal.

22. Codith

its worth it lol

23. cRoy

SensArmy

My wife wanted one too after I got it, but it was worth it cause she doesn't use mine now, lol.

Seriously, pick up one for you & da wife if you have to. You will not regret getting the iPhone.

24. JoeLouie

Might as well pick up three so I can have one too.

25. Scott

rawr

Ive had mine for over a month now and love it! I love the click screen. I can type much faster on it then my Touch. My father has a curve and Im just as fast on the storm, if not faster then on the curve.

Really its a hate/love type thing for the storm. People either love it or hate it.

Im not sure I could ever go back to a non click screen :lol: