Cutting Cable

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by Scott, Apr 5, 2014.

1. clicker666

Older lifter

You'll essentially be seeing the same content in the two mediums - which is why I suggested a scene release page to show what is out there. If you have a decent torrent site to refer to, great. The main sites I used for torrenting were getting nasty with pop-ups and I simply couldn't trust them anymore. If there's a movie in the theatre on Exodus, and no good scene source for it, it's likely going a cam or TS or whatever is out there.

2. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

3. BenFrank

Saucin on You

Thanks Stang - my amazon antenna should be sitting on my door step - I'll report back hopefully I won't need something external.

Stang likes this.
  4. JoeLouie

I just put one of these (http://www.philips.ca/c-p/SDV1125T_27/digital-tv-antenna) in my attic and now get CTV, CBC and Global coming in crystal clear. The best part is that a customer gave it to me because when I was there to hook up his cable because he could only get CBC with it :lol:. I picked up an open box USB Tuner for the Xbox One from Best Buy a few months ago for $10 (normally $80), now I can watch, pause and rewind TV on my Xbox.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  5. BenFrank

Saucin on You

Report back: Got bugger all downstairs on the main level on an interior wall. Went upstairs and got Global crystal clear 100% signal strength. You guys were right virgin uncompressed tv signal is beautiful. CTV comes in very snowy and not digitally but analog I believe. I am considering a roof mount now.

6. 17

teenage dirtbag

If that tuner could record I'd be all over it

7. clicker666

Older lifter

There's a box online that can do PVR with OTA signals. It's a little bit on the pricey side, but substantially less than a cable bill.

8. clicker666

Older lifter

That's great! If I could get JUST Global like that I'd be a total cord cutter. I watch NOTHING on CTV, and all my CBC faves can be streamed via Kodi.

9. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

In my basement here in Seattle, with an antenna I bought at the dollar store, I get at least 10 channels in HD. Someone told me if I put some effort into it, I should be able to get CBC from BC so I'm going to give that a go as I'd like to have that.

10. caperatlarge

all android boxed have PVR capability and also you can down load a show on them i have 3 since 6 months and all work excellent..

11. BenFrank

Saucin on You

What are you streaming CBC on kodi with?

Anyone have any luck with a paid version of Mobdro?

12. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

I'm jealous. Since I moved from Montreal I've lost all my US stations (there's a damn mountain in the way). The next house location will depend upon tv signal. :P

13. clicker666

Older lifter

I probably should have phrased that better - the few shows I like on CBC all can found on Exodus, etc as regular shows to stream. The only CBC I found that you could live stream was the news network app.

14. clicker666

Older lifter

At over $200 a month for cable/internet/phone that's honestly a decent consideration to take into account. Imagine if you bought a house and there was NO HIGH SPEED!!!! auggghhhhhhhh

15. infatuous

Plex has a DVR in beta now for tuners. You need a Plex Pass to access it. I do not have an antenna so I haven't tried it yet.

16. clicker666

Older lifter

Cool. This is the Canadian one - https://www.tablotv.com/. What I like about this box is the ability to put it near the antenna and access it via network - so if you have a roof mount, a much shorter antenna wire run.

infatuous likes this.
  17. RoryTate

My in-laws are on flaky satellite internet - when they can get it. It's 56k baud speed at best.

18. clicker666

Older lifter

19. caperatlarge

try MIC app its all canadian and PPV.. watch mooseheads games live great site on kodi

20. clicker666

Older lifter

That's the one I tried that looked like crap and barely worked. I'm still at the point where this isn't a viable alternative to cable, especially for the non-tech savvy. I'm willing to poke around and deal with four different video addons to find what i'm looking for, quickly launch a bunch of openload and thevideo authentications to watch a show, but can't imagine my wife using this or God help me - my inlaws.

21. hank

I'm in the same boat. Too much digging around to find anything half decent.

We're still using popcorn time and netflix for the majority of our tv/movie watching

22. munky18t

Unknown Member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  23. BenFrank

Saucin on You

Will check that out - hopefully getting an attic antenna this weekend for some exploratory signal searching - my cable days are soon coming to an end.

24. RoryTate

Bite the bullet and get a quality 4 bay outdoor antenna (at least), a J mount, lag screws, asphalt/roof repair goop, and the proper length of RG-6. Get it installed on the roof. Bob's your uncle.

Get a rotator if you have multiple towers to point to.

Spend a little more up front, save yourself from buying piecemeal and incrementally to get to the same point.

25. Coach

Get to know me!

Also try Terrarium TV. Works like ShowBox.

munky18t likes this.
  26. BenFrank

Saucin on You

Got Roku so far so good. Couple streaming news channels which is about 50% of the reason I was looking to supplement with OTA.

Rory, going to try an attic mount before I climb the roof. I'll just return the attic one if I decide I need more juice. Here's hopin.

27. BlackFire

Professional napper

Looking at either a Roku® Streaming Stick™+ or a Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Media Streamer with Alexa Voice Remote

Pros & Cons?

Anyone have any preferences?

We are currently with Bell Fibe for our TV service but don't know for how much longer. Thinking about getting rid of TV service and landline and just doing the high speed internet.

We have accounts with NetFlix, Amazon Prime and Crave (for now)

What would be good services to subscribe to? We are into Science Fiction/Fantasy and good drama (especially British shows) We are not into Sports at all.

We had an android box but it was lend to a friend of my Husband's and I don't think we'll ever see it again. Not really interested in going that route again.

28. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

We're with Roku for about 5 years now (guessing?) - zero issues in that time including a move from Canada to the US. All of the apps for the big services are updated seamlessly behind the scenes.

I would be concerned with lack of support or degraded service for everything non-Amazon with the Fire TV stuff.

29. Duggan

I have the 4K fireTV. Had it about a year and we cut cable, it works really well. No issues with Netflix, Crave etc. If you have prime, there is a bunch of content that comes with it as well.

I have the Roku 3, but I had it when I had Telus Optik out west so I didn't use it much.