1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-6-1_14-43-45.png

Today's press release

Today, June 1, Nova Scotia is reporting 12 new cases of COVID-19 and 91 recoveries.

There are eight new cases in Central Zone. Six of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases and two cases are under investigation.

Three cases are in Eastern Zone. Two of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases and the other case is under investigation.

One case is in Northern Zone and is a close contact of a previously reported case.

There is limited community spread in Central Zone. Eastern, Northern and Western Zones continue to be closely monitored for community spread.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 369 active cases of COVID-19. There are 38 people in hospital, including 15 in ICU. The median age of people hospitalized in the third wave is 53 for non-ICU, and 55.5 for people in ICU.

On May 31, Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 3,576 tests.

As of May 31, 588,991 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 43,561 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

Cracker likes this.
  2. C. Mike Hunt

Since yesterday's update:
    • 91 cases listed as resolved
    • 5,118 vaccine doses administered
    12/3576 = 0.336% positive rate

3. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

oh hell yeah! Only what, 3 new cases if you take out the ones that aren't close contacts to existing cases? :cool:

4. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20210601006

Nova Scotia Resumes Use of AstraZeneca Vaccine

Health and Wellness / COVID - 19

June 1, 2021 - 5:18 PM

Nova Scotia will resume the use of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine for second doses only, effective today, June 1.

The decision comes after the National Advisory Committee on Immunization updated its guidance on the interchangeability of COVID-19 vaccines approved for use by Health Canada.

Nova Scotians will have more options when it comes to receiving their second dose:

• anyone who has received a first dose of Pfizer or Moderna can now choose a second dose of either Pfizer or Moderna
    • anyone who has received a first dose of AstraZeneca can now receive a second dose of AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna
    “I am pleased we are able to provide some certainty for Nova Scotians who have been waiting on a decision regarding their second dose,” said Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health. “Anyone who has received their first dose of AstraZeneca can now receive their second dose with the AstraZeneca, Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.”

As part of the province’s plan to reduce the second-dose interval, anyone who received a first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine will receive a notice by email to reschedule their second dose appointment. Notices will be issued starting this week and will continue to be sent out over the coming weeks.

The province has about 2,000 doses of AstraZeneca set to expire at the end of the month. If this supply is used and there is more demand for AstraZeneca second doses, the province will request more AstraZeneca vaccine from the federal government.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

That should help keep the vaccine supply going strong

6. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposure-covid-19-one-location-central-zone-2

Potential exposure to COVID-19 at one location in Central Zone

Tuesday, June 1, 2021 - 06:58PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at one location in Central Zone. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Anyone who worked at or visited the following location on the specified dates and times should visit covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/ to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access, or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

For the following location, if you do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 you do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you are required to self-isolate while you wait for your test result, as are the other members of your household.

• Sobeys (1120 Queen St. Halifax) on:
      • May 28 between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
      • May 29 between 8:00 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.
    It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named dates may develop symptoms up to, and including June 12.

7. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

So without this being taken as an attack, can someone please explain the benefit of prioritizing teachers for vaccinations? I don’t see it increasing the safety of the population which is what the current rollout program is meant to do.Does it make the student population safer?

Grifter likes this.
  8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It's not really any benefit to anyone but the teachers, however their job forces them to be exposed to large amounts of people who in most cases aren't eligible for the vaccine yet. You shouldn't feel in danger at work no matter what job you're doing.

Grifter and chainsaw like this.
  9. Gerald

I'm fortunate to have very small classes right now, but I teach about 60 kids in total. Let's say that I go to Sobeys and get Covid but I'm not really showing symptoms so I go to work. I'm circulating the classroom, talking with kids 1 on 1, and handing things back and forth, etc. I'm hand sanitizing and distancing as best I can, but let's be honest here. With even 20 kids in my room where the ventilation is awful and only one window opens, it's not a great system and I can only do what I can do. But now those 60 kids are all potential exposures and they bring it home with them. Let's pretend that they are all from single child, dual parent families. Suddenly that group of 60 is bringing it home to 180 people. And if I interact with another staff member, it's potentially a lot more. Vaccines for teachers aren't just for teacher's protection.

Boots likes this.
  10. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

But don’t vaccines only really truly protect the person. Ie, you can still catch and transmit the virus, the vaccine’s main strength is that it minimizes the impact it has on that one person, reducing symptoms and likelihood of hospitalization?
    I think it’s more important to prioritize those such as medical staff who are at a higher likelihood of exposure and who’s absence could put a strain on the ability to care for patients, as well as those in high risk demographics when catching it is more likely to be fatal such as seniors snd immunocompromised. As far as I know there have been very few, if not any cases of a teacher contracting from or passing on the virus to the student population.

Grifter likes this.
  11. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Until just the past let’s say 1-2 months everyone’s job forced them to be exposed to mostly unvaccinated people. And if teachers are let’s say 30-60yrs old (purely speculating here) they would have been eligible to get vaccinated for let’s say an average of 1 month at this point. I think stating to run through every different profession to determine eligibility would have just resulted in pure confusion.

12. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

My job and a lot of other people I know didn't force me to be exposed to anyone. Also, kids not only can't be vaccinated, they can't be counted on to follow the public health measures, especially the younger ones.

13. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Your job is not the norm. Retail, service, trades, construction, Road sales etc all entailed close contact with others. I’m not suggesting one is better than the other just that with the limited supply we had going into this I think the provincial distribution plan was for the most part, on its face correct. We are still near the bottom for per capita vaccinations but that seems to be more about implementation vs planning.

14. chainsaw

To me anyone that has to work in person should be prioritized. Health care isn’t even a question. Why they all don’t have two shots yet is mind blowing. Same for grocery store workers, bus drivers, first responders and teachers. CheddarCheddar teachers are being forced into workplaces that would not be allowed in the private sector number wise. My school is fairly small and between staff and students there are still over 900 people. And you can imagine that every single one of those high school students wear a mask or wears one properly. They also come from families that could be out working, most of them work part time jobs themselves. The schedule was changed this year to 2 2 1/2 hour periods. So I have one class all morning and another all afternoon. I am with up to 32 kids for 2 1/2 hours straight in a closed environment where even half of the social distancing requirement is a dream. The masks are down constantly, they take them off to eat, and are still sharing water bottles and food. Online school isn’t great, but it works for a majority of students. We no longer have that option. Also many of us have other health issues where if we do catch Covid the outcome could be fairly grim. That’s why I get so pissy about it. I’m told to suck it up, schools are extremely safe, and schools don’t spread Covid. As someone with bad asthma (lungs are screwed) and an autoimmune disease I was absolutely terrified to go back in September. We were very lucky and got through until April before the variants took over in schools. I am two weeks since my first shot today and I’m heading into my 22nd year. A majority of staff are much younger than me and some are getting shot one next week. And you know what tops it all off? Central office staff have been WFH, and they have big signs on the doors that only 3 people can enter the huge building at a time. 3. They are safe but citadel, the west have over 1500 kids and 100-150 staff in their buildings. Same when the government couldn’t sit in legislature because it was too dangerous to have 50 people in the large chambers. You want to force us to work and look after your children then give us the vaccines. The whole kids don’t get it, spread it, or get it as bad has run it’s course. We know after this last wave it is untrue. Not to mention we have no idea what the long term effects of this virus are yet, but there seems to be more and more evidence of different long term effects starting to surface. I can not control my risk of exposure. Between myself, my wife, and two kids. We are exposed to over 4000 students alone each school day not including their families or co workers. But hey the Gov says schools are safe. The Gov who is making the safety guidelines and also the employer who is bending guidelines to make schools open.
    There, that’s why I get angry and think teachers should be prioritized. Not prioritized over everyone else but should be give doses first like anyone else that has to work in person :) *edit: also people who were battling cancer and other serious health problems asked for accommodations or even leaves when we reopened. You know what HRs response was? You have PPE (cloth mask and hand sanitizer) how ever the F they are PPE first of all is ridiculous, or the other option was to take unpaid leaves. We were even told not to wear N95s, face shields etc because it could upset the kids. That’s the info that the public never hears because we can not speak out about our workplaces or employer without fear of serious reprimand. I’m at the point now I really don’t care and am tired of the rainbows and unicorn propaganda for lack of a better word. Schools are nothing like they were when we went to school, hell they don’t even look the same as they did 5-10 years ago anymore

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Grifter and Gerald like this.
  15. C. Mike Hunt

16. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

So I’m not familiar with how it works with unions but if Joe Blow works in retail and doesn’t feel safe going to work, he is eligible for the whole CERB thing. I don’t think they get a paid leave either. Are unions excluded from being eligible for CERB?

17. chainsaw

I'm not sure TBH. We are not even eligible for EI as teachers. So I assume if someone chose to take an unpaid leave they would not be eligible because they chose not to work and the employer says it's safe because PH says so. We don't fall under labour code believe it or not. We are under the Education Act, so the employer can do whatever they please within some reason. Even our job description states and any other duties the employer sees fit..... And when our Union speaks out for us, a majority of Joe public jumps immediately to the overpaid, underworked, summers off, whiney teacher rhetoric. Sadly this has even been led by the provincial governments to get that sector of the public ramped up, especially within the past 6 years with the Liberals. Mcneil was brutal for it, with many teachers in his immediate family, and he ran on supporting unions and teachers to get elected after the shit show of Dexter years and cuts. So when we do have legitimate concerns, and the NSTU speaks out, they are attacked immediately for it. You know we all hate our jobs and don't want to work lol

18. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-6-2_15-14-24.png

Today's press release

Today, June 2, Nova Scotia is reporting two deaths related to COVID-19. Two men, both in their 60s, have died in Central Zone.

Nova Scotia is also reporting 17 new cases of COVID-19 and 72 recoveries.

There are 12 new cases in Central Zone. Eight of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases, two are related to travel and two are under investigation.

Three cases are in Eastern Zone and are close contacts of previously reported cases.

One case is in Northern Zone and is related to travel.

One case is in Western Zone and is currently under investigation.

There is limited community spread in Central Zone. Eastern, Northern and Western Zones continue to be closely monitored for community spread.

The province has confirmed its first case of a rare blood clotting condition known as vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT).

The person is a man in his 40s who received his first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in early May. He developed symptoms about two weeks after vaccination. He received treatment and is recovering.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 311 active cases of COVID-19. There are 38 people in hospital, including 15 in ICU. The median age of people hospitalized in the third wave is 53 for non-ICU, and 55 for people in ICU.

On June 1, Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 4,254 tests.

As of June 1, 594,708 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 43,776 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

19. C. Mike Hunt

Since last update:
    • 72 cases listed as resolved
    • 2 deaths
    • 5,717 vaccine doses administered
    17/4254 = 0.4% positive rate

20. chainsaw

That was an interesting PC. And I especially love the photos they were sharing of schools reopening where a good number of them had kids not wearing masks or distancing. Once again double standards. They continually say that variants are dangerous, you need two shots of vaccine, follow all PH guidelines, and then showcase a bunch of photos with kids without masks huddled together..

21. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potenti...ntral-zone-and-two-halifax-transit-bus-routes

Potential exposure to COVID-19 at two locations in Central Zone and two Halifax Transit bus routes.

Wednesday, June 2, 2021 - 07:38PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at two locations in Central Zone and two Halifax Transit bus routes. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Anyone who worked at or visited the following location on the specified dates and times should visit covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/ to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access, or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

For the following locations, if you do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 you do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you are required to self-isolate while you wait for your test result, as are the other members of your household.

• Sobeys (287 Lacewood Drive, Halifax) on May 28between 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including June 11.
    • Sobeys (2 Forest Hills Parkway, Dartmouth) on May 31between 10:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including June 14.
    Regardless of whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms, any passengers who were on the following transit routes for at least 15 minutes on the named dates and times are required to self-isolate while waiting for their test result. If you get a negative result, you do not need to keep self-isolating, however, you are asked to get retested 6-8 and 10-12 days after this exposure. If you get a positive result, you will be contacted by Public Health about what to do next.
    • Halifax Transit Route #3 (Crosstown), which runs from Lacewood Terminal to Marketplace and Bancroft, on May 28 between 2:15 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, June 11.
    • Halifax Transit Route #3 (Crosstown), which runs from Marketplace and Bancroft to Lacewood Terminal, on May 28 between 10:45 p.m. and 11:45 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, June 11.

22. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20210603001

COVID-19 Vaccine Second Dose Rescheduling

Health and Wellness / COVID - 19

June 3, 2021 - 8:59 AM

Nova Scotians who received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine between March 11 and 21 and are scheduled to receive their second dose between June 24 and July 3 can now reschedule their appointments for earlier dates.

A notice to reschedule will be sent by email to the account provided at the time of booking. Anyone who did not provide an email must call the toll-free line at 1-833-797-7772 to reschedule or to request an email address be added.

When rescheduling the second dose, people will select a new date and time at any clinic across the province that has an available appointment.

Notices will continue to be sent over the following weeks as vaccine supply is received.

23. C. Mike Hunt

24. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Damn.. 30s death.. gross.

Good news that we are only seeing 2-3 cases a day that aren't direct contacts or travel

25. LMAC

_

So July 14th i think is when people in the rest of Canada can come to NS, how welcoming will people be haha

26. LMAC

_

Schools are open they predicted a 11% spike here because of it... hopefully it doesn't get back in the schools

27. C. Mike Hunt

...and WWRCD do v.myfirstdosewasastrazeneca?

28. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-6-3_14-4-34.png

Today's press release

Today, June 3, Nova Scotia is reporting one death related to COVID-19. A man in his 30s has died in Central Zone.

Nova Scotia is also reporting 25 new cases of COVID-19 and 60 recoveries.

There are 15 new cases in Central Zone. Eleven of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases, two are related to travel and two are under investigation.

Eight cases are in Eastern Zone. Six of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases, one is related to travel and one is under investigation.

Two cases are in Northern Zone. One is related to travel and the other is under investigation.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 273 active cases of COVID-19. There are 22 people in hospital, including nine in ICU. The median age of people hospitalized in the third wave is 52.5 for non-ICU, and 55.5 for people in ICU.

On June 2, Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 5,235 tests.

As of June 2, 608,488 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 43,917 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

29. C. Mike Hunt

Since last update:
    • 60 cases considered resolved
    • 1 death
    • 13,780 vaccine doses administered
    25/5235 = 0.478% positive rate

30. C. Mike Hunt

31. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-6-4_15-6-25.png

Today's press release

Today, June 4, Nova Scotia is reporting 15 new cases of COVID-19 and 37 recoveries.

There are nine new cases in Central Zone. Six of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases, two are related to travel and one is under investigation.

Six cases are in Eastern Zone. Four of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases and two are related to travel.

Nova Scotia will report breakthrough cases weekly, starting today. A breakthrough case involves a person becoming COVID-19 positive two weeks after receiving either one or two doses of COVID-19 vaccine. These cases will also be reported weekly on the province’s COVID-19 data dashboard starting next Friday, June 11.

There have been 3,902 cases from March 15 to June 1, 2021. Of those:

• 24 (0.6 per cent) were fully vaccinated
    • 187 (4.8 per cent) were partially vaccinated
    • 3,691 (94.6 per cent) were unvaccinated
    242 individuals were hospitalized, of those:
    • 2 (0.8 per cent) were fully vaccinated
    • 26 (10.7 per cent) were partially vaccinated
    • 214 (88.4 per cent) were unvaccinated
    19 individuals died, of those:
    • 1 (5.3 per cent) was fully vaccinated
    • 2 (10.5 per cent) were partially vaccinated
    • 16 (84.2 per cent) were unvaccinated
    As of today, Nova Scotia has 251 active cases of COVID-19. There are 21 people in hospital, including eight in ICU. The median age of people hospitalized in the third wave is 52.5 for non-ICU, and 55.5 for people in ICU.

On June 3, Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 4,557 tests.

There were 14,783 tests administered between May 28 and June 3 at the rapid-testing pop-up sites in Dartmouth, Halifax and Sydney.

As of June 3, 621,661 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 44,188 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

32. C. Mike Hunt

Since yesterday's update:
    • 37 cases considered resolved
    • 13,173 vaccine doses administered
    15/4557 = 0.33% positive rate

chainsaw likes this.
  33. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposure-covid-19-one-location-central-zone-and-two-flights

Potential exposure to COVID-19 at one location in Central Zone and two flights

Thursday, June 3, 2021 - 07:12PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at one location in Central Zone and two flights. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

For the following location, if you do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 you do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you are required to self-isolate while you wait for your test result, as are the other members of your household.

• Walmart (220 Chain Lake Drive, Halifax) on June 1between 5:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including June 15.
    Anyone who was on the following flights in the specified rows and seats should visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access or if you have other symptoms that concern you. All other passengers on these flights should continue to self-isolate as required and monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
    • Air Canada 612 travelling on June 1 from Toronto (5:10 p.m.) to Halifax (8:00 p.m.). Passengers in rows 30 – 36, seats C, D, E and F. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, June 15.
    • Air Canada 604 travelling on June 2 from Toronto (8:15 a.m.) to Halifax (11:15 a.m.). Passengers in rows 29 – 35, seats A, C and D. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, June 16.

34. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposure-covid-19-one-location-central-zone-3

Potential exposure to COVID-19 at one location in Central Zone

Friday, June 4, 2021 - 05:42PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at one retail location in Central Zone. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Anyone who worked at or visited the following location on the specified dates and times should visit covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/ to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether they have symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access, or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

For the following location, if you do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 you do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you are required to self-isolate while you await your test result, as are other members of your household.

Walmart Dartmouth Crossing (90 Lamont Terrace, Dartmouth) on:
    May 31 between 5 p.m. and 11 p.m.
    June 2 between 5 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

It is anticipated anyone exposed to the virus at this location on May 31 and June 2 may develop symptoms up to, and including June 16.

Cracker likes this.
  35. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-6-5_14-40-12.png

Today's press release

Today, June 5, Nova Scotia is reporting 18 new cases of COVID-19 and 45 recoveries.

There are 13 new cases in Central Zone. Twelve of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases and one is under investigation.

Four cases are in Eastern Zone. Two of the cases are close contacts of previously reported cases and two are related to travel.

There is one new case in Western Zone and it is a close contact of a previously reported case.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 224 active cases of COVID-19. There are 20 people in hospital, including six in ICU. The median age of people hospitalized in the third wave is 52.5 for non-ICU, and 55.5 for people in ICU.

On June 4, Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 4,065 tests.

Cracker likes this.