Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Trump is going to fucking kill us all.

Racer_23, chainsaw and Wayne like this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It's pretty sad watching him fumble this. I don't think it could be handled any worse.

3. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

But they have big ships coming to help. Beautiful ships, bright white with red crosses on the side. They are huge and beautiful. What more do you want?

BlackFire and Boots like this.
  4. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

so 10 since yesterday. Hopefully all travel related and hopefully all sent right to quarantine :x:

6. BlackFire

Professional napper

I was beginning to think he won't be re-elected because of the way he is handling this but now I am more worried that he may just cancel the election because of a State of Emergency and stay in power. I believe the election was suspended in WW2.

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

NY has HALF the cases in the US. Yikes

8. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I have to say, as much as I detest Scheer, it was incredibly refreshing to hear him talk today about how they are putting politics aside to work together. It even sounded like at one point, he was backing Trudeau up on some of their decisions.

9. 17

teenage dirtbag

I think every level of politics has done a great job under these circumstances. People are looking for reassurance from leadership and they’re getting it, and I think that’s essential for morale. It’s unfortunate the US doesn’t have that.

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah, he's totally put his politics aside which is nice in a time like this. He was quoted as saying political philosophy is moot here. Everyone wants the same thing.

11. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The void in leadership in the US is bonkers. Cuomo is doing a good job in NY but they may as well have a bag of wet cement sitting in the oval office.

12. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

If Trump drops the emergency measures we are going to have to line the military shoulder to shoulder across the border. I can't imagine the devastation that will cause down there and ultimately up here.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Wayne likes this.
  13. Wayne

Yeah...that is scary as shit.

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

He's hoping that by Easter they can start ignoring covid19 lol

15. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

For Trump, it's all about getting re-election. I read somewhere that his initial reaction around not testing was all based on the election - if you don't test, you can't say there were a lot of cases in the US, thus he can say he did a good job.

I've been tempted to throw as much as we can in the van and drive to NS, getting out of here. Guy is a lunatic.

16. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

How are things in your area? We are coming close to the end of the suggested two week isolation window here and it's fairly under control so far.

17. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I think he's worries about all his hotels and other holdings. His only goal is his money.

Boots likes this.
  18. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

They haven't detected any community spread in Nova Scotia yet according to health officials. All known cases are travel related or people connected to those travellers. That's good news

19. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

That's great news. So if we can just dig a moat across the cobequid pass we'll be good. Not like we have to worry about anyone coming across on the Cat ferry.

20. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

money was more pre office, now its power.

21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

We could just not pay to operate Maine's ferry terminal this year

22. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

We have been dealing with it longer than NS - Seattle was the first area identified in North America to be hit. Deaths are higher percentage wise than anywhere else but that's because of some massive outbreaks in nursing homes. You could argue that *something* we're doing is working as our numbers have been eclipsed by New York but we only went to a more strict home isolation starting yesterday.

I dunno... we'll see what happens.

23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah we are at opposite ends of things. You guys were the first in N/A and we were either the last or second last. I haven't actually checked out NFLD is making out.

24. Cracker

non-n00b

This is solely because they are not yet testing people who haven't travelled or have ties to someone who has travelled.

boing and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  25. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah up until now they were making close contacts to travelers isolate. They've ramped up testing capabilities so they are going to test those people as well now too.

26. Cracker

non-n00b

They have been testing people with contacts to travellers for about a week now. Considerations are being made to start testing symptomatic people with no travel/contact to travellers but I don't think it has been implemented yet. I would have to confirm with my coworkers in the assessment clinic.

But with them not testing people who haven't travelled/had contact with travellers then we would not know if any community transmission has occurred. I am sure it has at this point, but until they start testing all symptomatic people we won't know, and it will continue to appear less scary in the media to those who don't realize the difference.

27. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I realize everyone has their theories but I'm going to stick with the Chief Medical Officer of Nova Scotia as my source of info on this for now lol

Top Gun and chainsaw like this.
  28. Cracker

non-n00b

"but I don't think it has been implemented yet. I would have to confirm with my coworkers in the assessment clinic." -not a theory, but a possible new change since my last conversation with my colleagues.

"we would not know if any community transmission has occurred. I am sure it has at this point, but until they start testing all symptomatic people we won't know" -theory yes, but based on a sound knowledge base.

I understand you sticking with Dr Strang for your info, but you have to also admit that he is a politician and his press conference scripts are all amended to be to the point without adding extra info or the possibility of fear into the public.

As a frontline ER nurse with co-workers working in the assessment clinic, screening, and taking the swabs, I will trust what they are telling me about who they are and are not swabbing at this point.

I am not trying to argue here, I just do not want people being put into a false sense of security. Thinking the possibility of contracting COVID19 is low because there are no confirmed community transmissions at this point. If people feel comfortable with that thought, they will start becoming more complacent to social distancing and isolation, and it could uproot all of the efforts the province has put towards containment., which has been comparatively very good.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Wayne likes this.
  29. Wayne

On your side 110%...I don't trust the talking heads as far as I can throw em. I know of some people who likely have/had covid-19 but was refused testing due to not having contact with any known travelers. And this was only a few days ago.

I expect our cases to go up and the community spread rate to rise once they actually start testing people.

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Totally appreciate your information and I'm not arguing with you or saying you're not correct. I've just made the decision that my information is coming from the people in charge. I'm not putting any stock in things I read on social media (including this forum). Strang has said there is no confirmed community transmission as of yet but he expects it to happen. That's good enough for me :cool:

Cracker likes this.
  31. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

So you don't trust the medical experts but you believe your self diagnosing friends on Facebook? :lol:

32. Wayne

No offense but wtf are you talking about?

All I said was I was aware of real people with flu symptoms are being denied testing, and have been for weeks. The ONLY requirement that got you tested was having traveled, or had direct contact with someone who has.

Nothing to do with self-diagnosing.

The idea that I would listen to a talking head say there "is no community transmission" when I know for a fact they aren't testing for that is laughable.

Grifter likes this.
  33. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

ahh, you said you were aware of people that most likely had/have covid19 but haven't had any contact with travelers. Seemed like some good old fashioned self doctoring. If you're not getting your information from the 'talking heads' as you call them, where are you getting it?

34. Wayne

In this particular case regarding people who are sick and testing, people I know (yes through Facebook). I certainly listen to all the health officials, but I am aware that their statements are tailored specifically to a message they want delivered, and the interpretation can be vague. They can say "there is no community transmission" because they have no data that says it is, they aren't lying per say.

Do those people have covid-19, nobody knows....maybe, maybe not.

Grifter likes this.
  35. Grifter

Bluh?

His argument is that he's taking his information from the "person in charge". As opposed to through people he knows or trusts.

That's like saying I'm listening to trump because he's in charge.

I'm not saying Facebook is wholly reliable, nor is R/C. I'm also not saying people in charge are reliable. But I'm not going to disregard information I've found on Facebook or R/C. I've learned interesting, reliable information from both about this. Such as how it's affecting Nova Scotia vs Alberta.

But saying I'm not taking any information off Facebook or R/C and only listening to someone because they are in charge is certainly the most entertaining thing I've read on here on weeks!

Cracker likes this.