1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'd like to know if they are still at mid-may for 40+ getting pfizer. We are on lockdown until then anyways so I'd wait

chainsaw likes this.
  2. LMAC

_

Ontario is supposed to be getting the JJ one i dont wnat it at all if i have a choice yes its better then nothing.. but if there are 3 out there at are 90% + why would i get the 66%

3. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I decided that if was only going to be a week or two wait, I’d wait, but any long then I’d take the sloppy seconds. Tried to book, picked a time slot, then it said it wasn’t available. Went back and the same slot was still showing as available so tried to book again. Entered all my info, and then the slot wasn’t available. Rince and repeat for about 30 mins then gave up.

4. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

It’s not 66% chance that it works, it’s that it will guard you against an exposure 66% of the time. My thoughts on that is right now I’m not guarded at all and as far as I know I haven’t contracted it, so to me 66% is pretty damn good.

Scott likes this.
  5. LMAC

_

Its better than nothing for sure, but if you have the choice and by the time may 17th rolls around i likely will i'll go 90 something.

6. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20210430001

People Aged 40 to 54 Now Eligible to Book AstraZeneca Vaccine

Health and Wellness / COVID - 19

April 30, 2021 - 9:13 AM

Starting today, April 30, people aged 40 to 54 can book appointments for the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine at participating physician and pharmacy clinics across the province.

Based on recent guidance from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization, and Nova Scotia’s current COVID-19 case numbers, the AstraZeneca vaccine is now available to this age group.

AstraZeneca vaccine appointments remain open to people 55 to 64 years old. Appointments for Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines at clinics across the province are open to people aged 55 and older.

Appointments for COVID-19 vaccines will be released continuously as vaccine supply is confirmed.

All Nova Scotians are encouraged to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as they are eligible.

The province’s goal continues to be to immunize as many Nova Scotians as quickly as possible, based on age, to reach a high rate of population immunity.

COVID-19 vaccination appointments must be made online at https://www.novascotia.ca/vaccination or by phone at 1-833-797-7772.

Appointments cannot be booked directly through a community clinic, pharmacy or physician. Walk-ins will be turned away.

7. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-4-30_17-5-27.png

Today's press release

Sixty-seven new cases of COVID-19 are being reported in Nova Scotia today, April 30.

Fifty-seven cases are in Central Zone, four cases are in Western Zone, three cases are in Eastern Zone and three cases are in Northern Zone.

Due to the volume of testing in the province, the Nova Scotia Health Authority lab is experiencing a backlog in testing. About 45,000 tests are waiting to be processed. There is also a delay in public health’s case data entry into Panorama.

“Thousands and thousands of Nova Scotians have done what we have asked — get tested. Because of that, there currently is a large backlog in the lab of about three days,” said Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health. “We need to expect high case numbers in the days ahead as the lab and public health get caught up.”

The province and the Nova Scotia Health Authority developed a plan to shift the COVID-19 testing strategy for a short period of time to address the testing backlog.

“This is a short-term issue, and we have a plan to clear up the backlog,” said Premier Iain Rankin. “Following the restrictions and public health measures are critical to protect you, your loved ones and the health system from being overwhelmed.”

In the interim, most Nova Scotians are encouraged to use pop-up testing sites instead of booking a COVID-19 lab test over the next few days. The following people can and should continue to book tests:

• anyone with symptoms
    • anyone who has been notified that they are a close contact of a known case
    • anyone who has been at an exposure location
    • anyone who has travelled outside Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador
    Anyone else who already has an appointment booked should cancel it following instructions in their confirmation email.

Efforts are being made to increase rapid testing capacity around the province.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 589 active cases of COVID-19. Twenty-two people are in hospital, including five in ICU.

One of the cases today in Central Zone is a staff member at Clarmar Residential Care Facility, a residential care home in Dartmouth. This is the second case involving staff at the facility.

The total number of tests and number of tests completed at the Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs on April 29 is not available.

As of April 29, 312,493 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 36,381 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

There were 31,040 tests administered between April 23 and 29 at the rapid-testing pop-up sites in Dartmouth, Halifax, Sackville and Sydney.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  8. C. Mike Hunt

26 recoveries [ edit: since last update ]

8,306 vaccine doses administered.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  9. chainsaw

Due to the volume of testing in the province, the Nova Scotia Health Authority lab is experiencing a backlog in testing. About 45,000 tests are waiting to be processed. There is also a delay in public health’s case data entry into Panorama.

That concerns me a little with the releasing of dropping numbers and then saying we know it’s much higher. And as for the 26 recoveries does anyone really know how they decide if someone is recovered? The past while they have been saying it was a time related metric. If so that does not make sense as we didn’t have those numbers two weeks ago

I know I’m probably starting to sound a little conspiracy theory, losing my nut type but I am not by any stretch a don’t believe what the government/ big brother, MSM tell you type by any means. I’m a math, science, logic, question type person and with the way they treated reporting school cases the past few days (stopping and not reporting multiple cases / spread in schools) it makes me question if there isn’t some shady shit going on especially with the quote above. I’m all for optimism and beating this shit but don’t treat people like they are uneducated and can’t see patterns in data or question when things like recovery rate were said to be a certain time period passing and considered resolved when we didn’t have those numbers in cases during that time period.
    /tinfoil hat :p

10. C. Mike Hunt

I think it means positive test result + ten days without symptoms.

chainsaw likes this.
  11. chainsaw

That's what is confusing me, is there actual follow up or is it just time period. If it's time, we did not have 26 cases in a day in that time frame. That is what makes me question 26 recoveries today. Again, i'm not saying oh they are lying, I'm just trying to logically follow the data and messaging

12. Wayne

Yeah I am on the fence. The decent human being in me says get the AZ right away, yet...finding it hard to convince myself I can't wait it out for one with less "history"..

13. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

I have an AZ appointment for Monday. I'd prefer to have a different kind for the 2nd dose, but I'll take whatever they give me.

14. Gerald

Have you seen how many school aged cases there are? There's no way what we're seeing is simply community and family spread. With these numbers, some of it has to have been happening in schools.

B43CCC39-A16C-4DCF-AC20-5DB124C59663.jpeg

chainsaw likes this.
  15. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Still trying to book. Keeps finding me dates but when I try to fill it out it says it’s filled. Then shows it as open again

16. chainsaw

Yup exactly. I know I may be coming of as unhinged to some but it’s the stuff they’ve been pulling in regard to schools that has made me watch a little closer and question some stuff and not just accept everything at face value. It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of next week. Politics should not come into play when it’s a PH matter. I get that they don’t want to panic people but hiding or misrepresenting data doesn’t help either

17. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

As a bonus, I actually got my shot at Microsoft HQ. I think this means I get the automatic 5G upgrade chip so I wont have some of the connection problems others have mentioned.

Scott, Wayne, Grifter and 2 others like this.
  18. C. Mike Hunt

Pfizer > AZ
    AZ > waiting

19. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

If your wife was ever on the pill, she had a much higher chance of blood clots than what is happening with AZ.

Wayne likes this.
  20. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

When I looked at the shots - they all 100% mean you wont die. The other numbers are about not getting sick. I'd take the don't die over not getting sick myself.

Scott and chainsaw like this.
  21. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

His wife will still be designated for Pfizer or Moderna because she just had a baby (assuming she’s still breast feeding). The problem is it’s not yet available down here.

22. chainsaw

I’ve been going back and forth myself. I have had blood clots in my legs as recently as about 3-4 weeks ago. In the past it was from taking a shot to the leg playing hockey but the most recent one had no identifiable trauma that would cause it. Luckily it was a superficial vein last time but the time before was a DVT I also understand that the clots from AZ are not the same but having had clots a few times and have an autoimmune disease I think I’ll wait the 2-3 weeks for a Pfizer or Moderna shot

23. Gerald

My official prediction is that you and I won't lay eyes on students again this year. Elementary schools will be back for June and Jr High might go back with them. High school students will be online until the end. /TinfoilHat

24. chainsaw

It’s really starting to look that way isn’t it

25. 17

teenage dirtbag

My wife got both Pfizer doses

I’ll take whatever

26. Wayne

Yeah, likely book the AZ as soon as it comes available.

Wife is not breastfeeding, but pretty sure they still will not give her AZ here in NB.

27. Cracker

non-n00b

My mom has a history of blood clots, and my uncle has had PE’s (blood clots in the lungs). As a nurse I encouraged them both to reach out to their respective family docs to get their opinion on what vaccine they should get. Both of their docs told them that with their history they should avoid AZ and hold out for Pfizer/Moderna.

Mom got her first dose of Pfizer today.

KMD and chainsaw like this.
  28. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

After seeing what is happening in India and understanding how they got there (being lax about vaccines), I really can’t understand jumping at anything available.

29. BlackFire

Professional napper

Husband and I are both scheduled for Pfizer on May 14th at the Halifax Forum

chainsaw and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I was curious to see the numbers on vaccine rollout in NS compared to Seattle - I knew Seattle was ahead (most of the US is) but I didn’t realize how much.

Seattle is at ~67% first dose administered and ~40% fully vaccinated.

Nova Scotia is at ~28% first dose (I couldn’t find fully vaccinated).

It bothers me when I see so many available vaccinations now going unused. I know the US is sending shots to Canada now but the “us first” mentality when this is a global problem really bothers me.

I should be joyful when I see Seattle friends posting about booking trips to tropical destinations now but I just feel sad for folks in India.

Crazy times.

31. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potenti...s-locations-across-province-and-three-flights

Potential exposure to COVID-19 at various locations across the province and three flights

Friday, April 30, 2021 - 09:02PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at various locations across the province and three flights. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Anyone who worked at or visited the following locations on the specified dates and times should visit covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/ to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

For the following locations, if you do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 you do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result. If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you are required to self-isolate while you wait for your test result.

• Staples (36 Market Street, Antigonish) on April 26 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 10.
    Regardless of whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms, those present at the following locations on the named dates and times are required to self-isolate while waiting for their test result. If you get a negative result, you do not need to keep self-isolating. If you get a positive result, you will be contacted by Public Health about what to do next.
    • *CORRECTION to location* YMCA Gottingen Street [not Port Hawkesbury] (2269 Gottingen St, Halifax) from April 19-23 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 7.
    • Halifax Transit routes:
      • *CORRECTION* Route 29 travelling from Point Pleasant Park [not Mumford Rd] to Barrington St. on April 22 between 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 6.
      • Route 53 travelling from Leaman Drive to Bridge Terminal and Route 61 from Bridge Terminal to Alderney Landing Terminal on April 28 between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 12.
      • Route 61 travelling from Alderney Landing Terminal to Bridge Terminal and Route 53 from Bridge Terminal to Leaman Drive on April 28 between between 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 12.
    Regardless of whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms, those present at the following location on the named date and times are required to self-isolate, get tested and continue self-isolating for 14 days, even with a negative test result.
    • Fit for Less Dartmouth (650 Portland Street, Dartmouth) from April 18-24 from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 8.
    Anyone who was on the following flight in the specified rows and seats should visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access or if you have other symptoms that concern you.
    • Air Canada 8782 travelling on April 25 from Montreal (7:00 p.m.) to Halifax (9:45 p.m.). Passengers in rows 13-19, seats C, D and F are asked to immediately visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. All other passengers on this flight should continue to self-isolate as required and monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 9.
    • West Jet 3346 travelling on April 25 from Toronto (9:00 a.m.) to Halifax (12:15 p.m.). Passengers in rows 1-5, seats B, C and D are asked to immediately visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. All other passengers on this flight should continue to self-isolate as required and monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 9.
    • West Jet 3346 travelling on April 26 from Toronto (9:00 a.m.) to Halifax (12:15 p.m.). Passengers in rows 1-7, seats B, C and D are asked to immediately visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. All other passengers on this flight should continue to self-isolate as required and monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 10.

32. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-5-1_15-6-8.png

Today's press release

Nova Scotia is reporting 148 new cases of COVID-19 today, May 1.

There are 129 cases in Central Zone, 17 cases in Eastern Zone and two cases in Western Zone.

Due to an increased number of investigations in recent days, the exposure category (i.e., travel, close contact or under investigation) is not always available by release time. A breakdown by zone identifying exposure categories will no longer be provided regularly. There is community spread in Central Zone. The Eastern, Northern and Western Zones continue to be closely monitored for community spread.

Two new cases in Central Zone are residents of the Clarmar Residential Care Facility, a residential care home in Dartmouth, and are linked to a previous case at the facility.

One case in Central Zone is a staff member at the Shoreham Village long-term care home in Chester. As a precaution, residents living on one of the units are being isolated and cared for in their rooms. Staff in the facility and residents on the unit are being tested. Residents on this unit have received both doses of COVID-19 vaccine. Public health is following up with Closing the Gap, a home-care provider, connected to the case.

As reported yesterday, April 30, due to the volume of testing in the province, the Nova Scotia Health Authority lab is experiencing a backlog. There is also a delay in public health’s case data entry into Panorama.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 713 active cases of COVID-19. There are 30 people in hospital, including five in ICU.

On April 30, Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 16,578 tests.

33. C. Mike Hunt

24 cases have been listed as resolved since last update.

34. chainsaw

Thanks! That was my train of thought, I’ve had them before so why risk it lol

Cracker likes this.
  35. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

You should look into the risk of blood clots if you actually catch COVID.