1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. C. Mike Hunt

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

wonder what testing numbers look like?

3. C. Mike Hunt

4. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Would like to see a testing graph overlayed over positives and currently infected. #ppl on Y, days on X.
    If there was ever a time for kids to ask "when will I ever use this" in stats and algebra, now would be the time. I'd even bet you could throw the quadratic formula in here somewhere!

chainsaw likes this.
  5. chainsaw

I saw on the news last night that they had over 1,000,000 cases in 3 days. That is terrifying. It was showing people on the ground and on stretchers outside of the hospitals dying because they were running out of oxygen

6. Wayne

Same here, one of my engineers there is all approved to move back to the Portland area...hoping it works out. A lot of the crew have already had covid at one point though and since recovered.

7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Just google “covid India” and look at the stats and the news that comes up. It’s insane - News outlets must be hitting a wall on pandemic reporting as it’s barely a blip here. I only found out through work.

chainsaw likes this.
  8. chainsaw

I saw a news article on Twitter last night that the Indian government was asking Twitter to remove any critical tweets about the situation in India. Crazy

http://reut.rs/3ezXnl0

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  9. KLD

KLD

Does anyone know what the gradual exist strategy out of all the precautions is, at least in NS or at the federal level? I wonder if people would comply better with a more specific end goal other than "flatten the curve", "just a little while longer". If we were told "x amount of population vaccinated" or "x% of cases leading to severe outcomes" it might give some more hope. Not saying it's an excuse for people to just go nuts and have huge parties or anything like that, but it could help the COVID fatigue. I recognize we have been pretty fortunate in NS overall with only a few short lockdowns, but I can understand feeling like goal posts keep moving.

Also, here is a handy link that makes it easier to sift through the exposures: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.
    I find it easier than reading the big wall of text, and I can search for places I know I had been before things shut down, you can sort by date, etc. A great tool!

briangtiguy and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  10. chainsaw

Also Press conference announced for 3:30

11. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-4-25_13-38-41.png

Today's press release

Sixty-three new cases of COVID-19 are being reported in Nova Scotia today, April 25.

Fifty-seven cases are in Central Zone, four of which were identified Saturday, April 24, at schools. Caledonia Junior High, Prince Andrew High School and Astral Drive Elementary in Dartmouth, and Citadel High School in Halifax reported one case each.

Three cases are in Eastern Zone, one of which was identified Saturday, April 24, at Breton Education Centre in New Waterford.

Two cases are in Western Zone, and one case is in Northern Zone.

Due to an increased number of investigations in recent days, exposure category (i.e., travel, close contact or under investigation) is not always available by release time. A breakdown by zone identifying exposure categories will no longer be provided regularly. There is community spread in Central Zone. The Eastern, Northern and Western Zones continue to be closely monitored for community spread.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 263 active cases of COVID-19.

Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 7,520 Nova Scotia tests on April 24.

There were 4,565 tests administered on April 24 at the rapid-testing pop-up sites in Halifax, Dartmouth and Sackville.

12. C. Mike Hunt

63/7520 = 0.838% positive rate.

1 recovery in the past 24 hours.

13. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

We're going full lockdown I'm guessing. If they have a press conference today, it's not good news.

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I would guess remote learning for a bit

15. chainsaw

As much as I hate the thought of remote learning again, it’s needed short term anyway

16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My kids did remote learning for over a year. They only just recently went to school in person for the first time. 2 afternoons a week, rest is still remote but a start.

17. 17

teenage dirtbag

not sure why they had this presser at all honestly.

briangtiguy, Boots and chainsaw like this.
  18. chainsaw

I am honestly fucking speechless. Community spread, don’t leave your community, send 1 person to do essential tasks but schools stay open? No changes to HRM at all. What a waste of time. I also loved the schools are not driving it, yes we have 2,3,4 cases in a class but it’s contained to a class. Jesus that’s ok now? And not to mention that may be the case in elementary and Jr high where students stay together all day but no the case in high schools. You can not tell me they are making the school decisions based on science anymore. And the facade of best place for children to be for their mental health. Pop into a high school this week and see how the high school kids are dealing. Hint: it’s not how they are portraying it

19. 17

teenage dirtbag

i agree

schools can turn into a spreading situation quickly, why not eliminate that part of the equation and focus on the stuff we cant shut down.

chainsaw likes this.
  20. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Wow, this all sounds so familiar.

Did you know that schools were the first thing shut down and then the first thing opened in Quebec? In order to keep the economy going, kids need to be in school so the parents aren't stuck at home caring for them.

Grifter and chainsaw like this.
  21. chainsaw

Yup from last Sunday to yesterday there are now 18 or 19 different schools with confirmed cases with over 20 positive cases now (several schools with more than one case) out of those only 5 are high schools. But schools are safe. I honestly don’t think there has been a time with more than 2 or 3 schools that had cases at once before and it’s been weeks in between the odd case. We were doing well on the school front and they were OK to be open. Things have changed dramatically and fast

There is also no follow up on how many staff or students at a school that have a confirmed case that actually get tested. So closing for three days and reopening not knowing how many people have gotten tested is mind blowing

22. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20210425003

Gathering Limit Lowered Outside Halifax, Fines Increase

Health and Wellness / COVID - 19

April 25, 2021 - 5:52 PM

Premier Iain Rankin and Dr. Robert Strang, chief medical officer of health for Nova Scotia, announced changes to reduce the spread of COVID-19 today, April 25, 2021.

The gathering limit outside of Halifax has been reduced to 10 people, whether indoors or outdoors. The gathering limit remains five in Halifax Regional Municipality as well as the entire communities of Hubbards, Milford, Lantz, Elmsdale, Enfield, Mount Uniacke, South Uniacke, Ecum Secum and Trafalgar.

People are also not to travel outside their local community unless it is for essential travel, such as work, school, child care or medical or legal appointments.

These restrictions are effective immediately and will remain in effect until at least May 20.

“We are at a very serious crossroads – the virus is spreading and we need to stop it now,” said Premier Rankin. “COVID-19 has found its way into every region of our province. This is one step to help stop that but more restrictions may become necessary in the coming days.”

In addition, the fines for breaking any part of the order under the Health Protection Act will double. A first offence will now be $2,000.

Employers are also asked to encourage and support employees to work from home as much as possible to help reduce possible contacts.

23. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20210425005

Nine New Schools Report COVID-19 Cases

Education and Early Childhood Development / COVID - 19

April 25, 2021 - 8:16 PM

Nova Scotia is reporting nine new schools with COVID-19 connected cases today, April 25.

The following schools will remain closed to students until Thursday, April 29:

• Jubilee Elementary, Sydney Mines
    • Bedford South School, Bedford
    • Chebucto Heights Elementary, Halifax
    • Joseph Howe Elementary, Halifax
    • Oxford School, Halifax
    A deep cleaning will take place and students will learn from home during the closure. Families will receive an update on Wednesday, April 28.

The following schools are within a family of schools that is already closed until May 10:

• Atlantic View Elementary, Lawrencetown
    • Brookhouse Elementary, Dartmouth
    • Cole Harbour District High, Dartmouth
    • Nelson Whynder Elementary, North Preston
    These schools will also undergo a deep cleaning.

Public health will be in touch with any close contacts of these positive cases and advise of next steps, including testing. Everyone who is a close contact will be notified, tested and asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

Out of an abundance of caution, public health is recommending that all students and staff be tested. No self-isolation is required, unless people have been identified as a close contact by public health or have symptoms.

24. chainsaw

That’s 28 schools with confirmed cases (some have multiple) since last Sunday

Astral Drive Elementary

Atlantic View Elementary

Auburn Drive High

Bedford South School

Bell park Academic Centre

Breton Education Centre

Brookhouse Elementary

Caledonia Jr High

Chebucto Heights Elementary

Citadel High

Cobequid Education Centre

Cole Harbour High

Dartmouth South Academy

Joseph Howe Elementary

Jubilee Elementary

Holland Rd Elementary

Joseph Giles Elementary

Mount Edward Elementary

Nelson Whynder Elementary

Oxford School (Halifax)

Oyster Pond Academy

Prince Andrew High

Ross Road

Shannon Park Elementary

Shipyard Elementary

South Woodside Elementary

St Catherine’s Elementary

St Joseph’s Alexander McKay Elementary

25. Grifter

Bluh?

99 new cases for us today. We are now at 1081.

26. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

The numbers are still high in QC.

Capture.JPG

27. Grifter

Bluh?

Got an email tonight. All the schools in my town just shut their doors. Online learning til May 10th. I'm pretty sure that's that for this school year. No point in sending them back for a month....

28. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.nshealth.ca/news/potent...ns-central-zone-three-locations-northern-zone

Potential exposure to COVID-19 at eight locations in Central Zone, three locations in Northern Zone, corrected Air Canada flight

Sunday, April 25, 2021 - 08:37PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at eight locations in the Central Zone, three locations in the Northern Zone and a correction to an Air Canada flight. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Reminder:
    Based on a decision made by the Medical Officers of Health, Public Health is now only issuing public potential exposure notifications in the Central Zone for locations where Public Health recommends people self-isolate and get tested. This means we will no longer be issuing notifications for low risk locations in Central Zone, such as retail or grocery stores. Given the risk of community transmission in the Central Zone, everyone should consider getting tested for COVID-19, not just those present at specific exposure locations. Public Health strongly encourages all Nova Scotians to get tested for COVID-19 and follow Public Health restrictions.

Nova Scotia Health continues to increase testing capacity across the province and particularly in Eastern Zone in response to the rising demand for testing in that area. Please check https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en often for the latest locations, dates and times for testing availability. Testing location details are also available by calling 811. Thank you in advance for your patience as we continue to work to offer safe, timely and accessible testing.

Anyone who worked at or visited the following locations on the specified dates and times should visit covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/ to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

Regardless of whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms, those present at the following locations on the named dates and times are required to self-isolate while waiting for their test result. If you get a negative result, you do not need to keep self-isolating. If you get a positive result, you will be contacted by Public Health about what to do next.

· La Frasca Cibi & Vini (5650 Spring Garden Rd, Halifax) on April 19 between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 3.
    · Ocean Lane Bowling-Sports Bar (45 Lake Rd, Tatamagouche) on April 19 between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 3.
    · Wired Monk (5147 Morris St, Halifax) on April 19 between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 3.
    · The Country Bread Basket Bakery & Coffee Shop (629 Brule Point Rd, Tatamagouche) on April 20 between 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 4.
    · Jost Vineyards (48 Vintage Ln, Malagash) on April 20 between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 4.
    · Steak and Stein Family Restaurant (620 Portland St, Dartmouth) on April 21 between 5:45 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 5.
    · *CORRECTED DATE* Old Triangle Pub (5136 Prince St, Halifax) on April 21 from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 5.
    · Scotia Square Food Court (5201 Duke St, Halifax) on April 21 between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. and April 22 between 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 6.
    · World Gym Dartmouth (114 Woodlawn Rd, Dartmouth) on April 14, 15 and 18 between 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. and April 22 between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 6.
    · Wellington Pizza & Seafood (4313 Nova Scotia Trunk 2, Wellington) on April 23 between 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 7.
    · ProEdge Sports Conditioning Limited (36 Duke St, Bedford) on April 23 between 5:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 7.

Anyone who was on the following flight in the specified rows and seats should visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

· *CORRECTED DEPARTURE LOCATION* Air Canada flight 8782 travelling on April 19 from Montreal (7:00 p.m.) to Halifax (9:30 p.m.) Passengers in rows 22-27, seats C, D and F are asked to immediately visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. All other passengers on this flight should continue to self-isolate as required and monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, May 3.

29. C. Mike Hunt

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

66 is good imo. If things were out of control, it would be a much bigger number than yesterdays I'd think

31. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-4-26_12-37-0.png

Today's press release

Sixty-six new cases of COVID-19 are being reported in Nova Scotia today, April 26.

Sixty cases are in Central Zone, eight of which were identified Sunday, April 25, at:
    • Chebucto Heights Elementary, Halifax
    • Joseph Howe Elementary, Halifax
    • Oxford School, Halifax
    • Bedford South School, Bedford
    • Atlantic View Elementary, Lawrencetown
    • Brookhouse Elementary, Dartmouth
    • Cole Harbour District High, Dartmouth
    • Nelson Whynder Elementary, North Preston
    Three cases are in Eastern Zone, one of which was identified Sunday, April 25, at Jubilee Elementary in Sydney Mines.

Two cases are in Western Zone, and one case is in Northern Zone.

Due to an increased number of investigations in recent days, exposure category (i.e., travel, close contact or under investigation) is not always available by release time. A breakdown by zone identifying exposure categories will no longer be provided regularly. There is community spread in Central Zone. The Eastern, Northern and Western Zones continue to be closely monitored for community spread.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 323 active cases of COVID-19.

Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 11,335 Nova Scotia tests on April 25.

As of April 25, 276,075 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 34,816 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  32. C. Mike Hunt

66/11335 = 0.583% positive rate.

6 recoveries in the past 24 hours.

15,287 doses of vaccine administered since last update.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  33. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

I would wait for the official release, of course, but I'm being told by my wife (pre-primary teacher) that this is the last day of school for a while.

34. Grifter

Bluh?

Local state of emergency being declared here. The ICU is full.

35. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Every meeting I've been in today so far has had folks from India and every meeting has had the first 5 minutes or so reserved pretty much to discuss what's going on there and how sorry we all our. It's kind of nuts at this point in the pandemic. If you read about the science of what's happening there now as well, scientists are completely baffled. It's really scary.

chainsaw likes this.