1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Yeah, my nieces and nephews in Nova Scotia are all in school and it's been fairly normal for them.

This online schooling is horrible. I can't wait until they're back in-person. My kids are suffering but I keep hearing about other kids even worse off. We have a neighbor just up the street who called us asking for help the other night. Her son (16) has only gone outside twice since the pandemic started, barely goes to class, failing everything, and now suicidal. The impact on kids has been massive.

2. C. Mike Hunt

Makes me wonder if it's one of the variants.

3. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-3-12_11-59-39.png

Today's press release

One new case of COVID-19 is being reported in Nova Scotia today, March 12.

The case is in Eastern Zone and is currently under investigation.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 17 active cases of COVID-19.

Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 2,681 Nova Scotia tests on March 11.

There were 1,074 tests administered between March 5 and 11 at the rapid-testing pop-up sites in Spryfield, Bedford and Upper Tantallon.

As of March 11, 46,891 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 15,655 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

4. C. Mike Hunt

1/2681 = 0.037% positive rate

3 recoveries in the past 24 hours.

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My father-in-law got his first shot! :beer2:

6. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20210312008

COVID-19 Vaccine Groups Expanded

Health and Wellness / COVID - 19

March 12, 2021 - 12:44 PM

Nova Scotia's COVID-19 vaccination program is expanding Monday, March 15 to include anyone who is 80 and older and born in May, June, July or August.

People aged 80 and older and born between May 1 and Aug. 31 will be able to book an appointment at a community clinic starting Monday.

The following groups are still eligible to be immunized:

• those aged 80 and older and born between Jan. 1 and April 30 can book an appointment at a community clinic
    • people who are 63 and 64 years old can book an appointment for the AstraZeneca vaccine at one of 25 pharmacy and physicians offices

7. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposure-covid-19-location-central-zone

Potential exposure to COVID-19 at location in Central Zone

Friday, March 12, 2021 - 05:27PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at a location in the Central Zone. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Anyone who visited the following location on the specified date and time should immediately visit covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/ to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you are required to self-isolate while you wait for your test result. If you do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 you do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result.

• Flag Pond Coastal Access Park (1775 Cow Bay Rd, Eastern Passage) on Feb. 27 between 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, March 13.

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The WA governor just created a second state of emergency to use to force schools open by April 19th offering “some form of hybrid option” for kids who are suffering with online school.

I’m applauding the move but I could see teachers going on strike over it. My wife and I are also divided on it.

9. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-3-13_20-54-17.png

Today's press release

Five new cases of COVID-19 are being reported in Nova Scotia today, March 13.

Three of the cases are in Western Zone and are close contacts of previously reported cases. Two of the cases are in Central Zone; one is related to travel outside Atlantic Canada and is self-isolating as required and one is currently under investigation.

The case reported in Eastern Zone yesterday is being removed from the cumulative case count, as the investigation revealed the case was previously diagnosed in another province.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 20 active cases of COVID-19.

Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 2,004 Nova Scotia tests on March 12.

10. C. Mike Hunt

Corrected: 4/2005 = 0.02% positive rate

1 recovery in the past 24 hours.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  11. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposure-covid-19-air-canada-flight-montreal-halifax

Potential exposure to COVID-19 on Air Canada flight from Montreal to Halifax

Saturday, March 13, 2021 - 05:17PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 on an Air Canada flight. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Anyone who was on the following flight in the specified rows and seats should visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

• Air Canada flight 8782 departing from Montreal on March 6 (7:10 p.m.) and arriving in Halifax (9:30 p.m.). Passengers in rows 16-20, seats C, D and F are asked to immediately visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/en to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. All other passengers on this flight should continue to self-isolate as required and monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, March 20.

12. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-3-14_13-58-0.png

Today's press release

One new case of COVID-19 is being reported in Nova Scotia today, March 14.

The case is in Central Zone and is related to travel outside Atlantic Canada. The person is self-isolating, as required.

The case reported in Central Zone yesterday, March 13, that was under investigation has been removed due to a data entry error. There were four new cases yesterday, not five.

As of today, Nova Scotia has 18 active cases of COVID-19.

Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 2,456 Nova Scotia tests on March 13.

13. C. Mike Hunt

1/2456 = 0.041% positive rate

2 recoveries in the past 24 hours.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  14. chainsaw

Normal for those not working in the buildings ;)

15. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My wife is getting her first shot today! The phase that gets teachers has been reached in Washington - she’s not a teacher here but has been working as a tutor - they kept calling asking her to take an appointment, explained that she’s only a part-time tutor, they said the school board specifically allocated her a shot so in she goes.

Scott, chainsaw and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  16. C. Mike Hunt

Mom gets her first shot next Thursday. Woohoo!

17. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-3-15_13-14-8.png

Today's press release

No new cases of COVID-19 are being reported in Nova Scotia today, March 15.

Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 1,667 Nova Scotia tests on March 14.

As of March 14, 48,077 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 16,113 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

Nick84 likes this.
  18. C. Mike Hunt

1 recovery in the past 24 hours.

19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

The US has been killing it on the vaccine front from what I can see... sucks we are so far behind

KMD and chainsaw like this.
  20. chainsaw

That's awesome news. Now here we've been open fully since September with in person classes and no priority to vaccinate teachers and other school staff at all. Wait for your age group and that's it. It feels awesome knowing that we were kept open to keep the economy running (providing babysitting) so mom and dad can work from home without their kids, and no priority for a shot. Awesome morale builder let me tell ya

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  21. 17

teenage dirtbag

Wife has hers so I don’t care when I get mine

KMD likes this.
  22. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposure-covid-19-one-location-central-zone-1

Potential exposure to COVID-19 at one location in Central Zone

Monday, March 15, 2021 - 05:34PM

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at one location in the Central Zone. In addition to media releases, all potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Anyone who worked at or visited the following location on the specified date and times should immediately visit covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca/ to book a COVID-19 test, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms. You can also call 811 if you don’t have online access or if you have other symptoms that concern you.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 you are required to self-isolate while you wait for your test result. If you do not have any symptoms of COVID-19 you do not need to self-isolate while you wait for your test result.

• IKEA (645 Cutler Ave, Dartmouth) on March 12 between 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, March 26.

23. Gerald

What, the fraud tip line wasn't enough for you?

24. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2021-3-16_12-40-22.png

Today's press release

Two new cases of COVID-19 are being reported in Nova Scotia today, March 16.

The cases are in Central Zone. One of the cases is a close contact of a previously reported case. The other case is under investigation.

The National Microbiology Lab confirmed four new variant cases — two more cases of the UK variant and two more cases of the South African variant.

This brings the total number of cases of the UK variant in Nova Scotia to 13 and the South African variant to 10.

One of the UK variants is in Central Zone and the other is in Western Zone. Both are directly linked to international travel. The two South African variants are in Central Zone and are linked to previously reported variant cases.

At this time, there is no sign of community spread from the variant cases.

Nova Scotia Health Authority's labs completed 1,646 Nova Scotia tests on March 15.

As of March 15, 50,144 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 16,650 Nova Scotians have received their second dose.

25. C. Mike Hunt

2/1646 = 0.122% positive rate

2 recoveries in the past 24 hours.

26. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Yeah, that seems like a huge oversight in vaccine rollout. I have lots of family who are teachers and none of us can understand it.

Some of the backlash around re-opening schools here in Seattle is that the mandate to do it happens before teachers will have been completely vaccinated.

chainsaw likes this.
  27. KMD

KMD

You mean #OperationWarpSpeed is Killing it in the US?

And yes it sucks that we are behind and having to go beyond manufacturer specs to stretch out the time between shoots and using vaccines that are causing blood clots that other countries have stopped using.
    I am a horrible planner but watching this has just been a gong show esp when it was run by the military.
    They had enough time to get a plan in place that by the time those vaccines hit the ground they should have been gone out to the clinics and appointments should have been booked by now and needles going in arms and people coming in and going out.

I have to wait for my age group even though I have autoimmune disease x2 but my wife gets to jump the que because she is First Nations and we have a virtue signaling government. There Boots I got to shit on Trudeau for you

28. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Are they still calling it Operation Warp Speed? When Biden's team took over there was no plan in place for vaccine distribution and they had to start from scratch. I figure they'd pick a new name for the operation lol

I figured you'd have gotten it by now. Aren't they doing nursing homes first? :p

KMD likes this.
  29. KMD

KMD

I don't know what they are calling it but I doubt they have kept anything from Trump :lol:
    I am older but I THINK there are a few on here that are pretty close to the same age as me I think C. Mike HuntC. Mike Hunt is pretty close to the half century mark if not already there?
    I am sure there are more whippersnapper, now get off my lawn.

30. C. Mike Hunt

KMD likes this.
  31. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

[​IMG]

Nick84 and KMD like this.
  32. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I understand that teachers should be prioritized but there are far more at risk professionals that still aren't even getting bumped. Police officers for example, who don't get to decide who the come in contact with, and don't get to prescreen them either should be well at the top, but they aren't.
    As for the first nations i believe that as more to do with records showing it spreading faster amount that demographic than others. Now I would think they would maybe focus on the community that it spread on vs just having a status card, but it's not the first dumb thing a governement has done, and won't be the last. With that said, isn't the vaccine distribution being left up to the individual provinces and not the federal government?

33. 17

teenage dirtbag

I heard of some wealthy business people who were vaccinated because some of their holdings include healthcare related industries.

34. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

KMDKMD - Sounds like we're close to the same age. I turn ... crap, gotta do the math. 46 in a couple of weeks. I think I've been telling people I'm 46 for the last year - I don't age!

Not sure what it is like in Canada, but I've talked to several people who know people (so take it with a grain of salt) who have walked in with fake credentials to get the shot - they're not checking. "Oh, you work at hospital X? - No proof needed, here's your shot".

35. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I think you're going to find rumors abound. I'm not in a rush to get mine. The vaccine protects nobody but me. If I were to be infected, in theory I'd get no symptoms, but ultimately could still pass it on to anyone so I'm content being at the end of the line as me being vaccinated doesn't make anyone else safer. One could aglrgue on fact that prioritizing the more social demographic could infect put more people at risk should they become less diligent in their safety protocols.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021