Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. C. Mike Hunt

2. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Interesting to listen/read/watch the response to the West Coast wild fires (CA/OR/WA) during the pandemic. Things like "emergency shelters" has gone from emergency tents they would have set up in the past to, "come to this open parking lot. Here's a mask."

The fires are insane - not sure how much it is making the news back home but it has actually eclipsed COVID/election news for now here.

3. Nick84

Pretty crazy!

4. Wayne

Yeah my developers from Oregon have been sharing some pretty scary pics as well.

5. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Eugene looks horrible. One of my team mates was looking at the fire line only 20 miles from his house and he's in Portland.

6. C. Mike Hunt

7. C. Mike Hunt

http://www.nshealth.ca/news/nova-sc...vid-19-exposure-sept-7-flight-calgary-halifax

Nova Scotia Health advising of potential COVID-19 exposure on Sept. 7 flight from Calgary to Halifax
    Friday, September 11, 2020 - 02:40PM
    For immediate release
    September 11, 2020

HALIFAX, NS--Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 on the following flight:

• WestJet flight WS 232 on September 7 from Calgary to Halifax. It departed Calgary at 9:30 a.m. and arrived in Halifax at 5:14 p.m. Passengers in rows 4 to 10 seats D, E, F are more likely to have had close contact. Passengers in these seats are asked to call 811 for advice.
    Public Health is also directly contacting anyone else known to be a close contact of the person(s) confirmed to have COVID-19.

It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, 14 days after. Those present on this flight but not in the identified rows and seats should self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.

(more on link)

8. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20200911006

Easing of Self-Isolation Requirements for Out-of-Province Rotational Workers

Government is easing some self-isolation requirements for out-of-province rotational workers when they return to Nova Scotia.

A rotational worker is someone who has a set schedule where they alternate between living in Nova Scotia and working outside the province, such as an Alberta oil worker.

The changes are only for rotational workers who are residents of Nova Scotia who travel to another province or territory in Canada to work. They do not apply to rotational workers who work outside of Canada.

“While self-isolation is important, we know it isn’t always easy, particularly for those who travel back and forth from Nova Scotia to other parts of Canada to work,” said Premier Stephen McNeil. “These Nova Scotians play a vital role in our communities and our economy. We want to ensure that the self-isolation requirement does not negatively impact the health, well-being and family lives of rotational workers, so we are making changes.”

Effective immediately, rotational workers are allowed the following activities alone or with their household members:

• interacting with people who live in their household. Maintaining physical distance from household members is not necessary unless the rotational worker becomes unwell. Household members do not need to self-isolate unless they become unwell
    • spending time outside on their own property
    • going for a drive
    • going for a walk, run, hike, bike or ATV ride for exercise and recreation off their property (if they encounter people from outside their household, they must wear a mask and maintain a distance of two metres)
    • visiting a park, beach or other outdoor public space (if they encounter people from outside their household, they must wear a mask and maintain a distance of two metres)
    • spending time at their cabin or vacation home (or a rental location) within the province, following the same rules as if at home
    • dropping off and picking up household members at school, work or recreational activities without getting out of the vehicle
    • no-contact pick-up of groceries or other items purchased online without getting out of the vehicle
    • attending a drive-in theatre without getting out of the vehicle
    • going through a drive-thru, for example at a restaurant or bank
    Effective Monday, Sept. 14, the following activities are allowed:
    • attending necessary (urgent and routine) medical appointments. This includes appointments with physicians and nurse practitioners, dentists, optometrists and other regulated health professionals where in-person treatment is required
    The following activities continue to be restricted:
    • entering public places (e.g. schools, grocery stores, shopping malls, banks, religious institutions, restaurants/bars)
    • attending indoor and outdoor gatherings
    • visiting people from outside their household
    • allowing people from outside their household to visit them on their property or in their home
    • volunteering or working in any capacity that requires them to be in contact with people outside their household
    (more on link)

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

10. Matt30

Good, he can go fuck himself

11. 17

teenage dirtbag

12. Smokey

Jesus christ you guys really are straight fucking covid psycopaths back there.

We keep hearing about how nuts you guys are there, but this is some next level shit... Maybe I shouldn't move back.....

Grifter likes this.
  13. C. Mike Hunt

And it's working.

upload_2020-9-11_17-50-33.png

Source

14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Got a good thing going here :cool:

Grifter likes this.
  15. Grifter

Bluh?

With a fraction of the population and density.

I agree; likely handling it "better" than other places. But it also has a ton to do with population and density. There's less people in Nova Scotia, and therefore less chances for people to fuck up. So yeah, you're doing better! :clap:

Not even as many people in Nova Scotia as there are in Edmonton or Calgary.... Hell there's as many people in Fort McMurray as there are in PEI. It's not really an accurate, or fair comparison.

But you keep on being you there champ!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  16. Grifter

Bluh?

Considering what I said to hisCunt. Yes, you do. I wish we had so few cases! I truly feel wave two is beginning to hit us now.

17. C. Mike Hunt

*fewer

Seriously though, we're one of the safest places in North America right now. How could I not like that?

I'm sure there's something to the density argument though. Would be interesting to see a map of cases in AB/BC/ON/QC.

Grifter likes this.
  18. Lex Lucas

feels good.

NS 0.31 active cases per 100,000
    AB 32.78 active cases per 100,000

Density shouldn't have that large of an impact if people and businesses take this seriously and follow basic regulations and hygiene procedures.

Grifter likes this.
  19. Matt30

“psychopath” because some dick head with a potentially deadly disease knowingly put others at risk of infection and lied to authorities :lol:

Once he’s sent packing he will likely be looking for a place to live. Rent him a room!

Grifter and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  20. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

LOL

21. C. Mike Hunt

22. Grifter

Bluh?

If those numbers are accurate, that's a fair point. And I do agree with you.

23. Grifter

Bluh?

Oh I don't mean you shouldn't like it. I would be bragging it up if the numbers were the same here.

I was just bringing up the point that fewer people, fewer chances is all. If Lex's numbers are accurate, you have all the reason to gloat!

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  24. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It’s not about gloating - it’s the opposite of SmokeySmokey calling people “fucking COVID psychopaths” because the Atlantic provinces are holding a strict line on accountability so the numbers don’t go back up.

Until there’s a vaccine, man up and look at Atlantic Canada as the model of the right way to tackle things.

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  25. Grifter

Bluh?

Also, doesn't mean I can't be a smart ass about it... :lol:

C. Mike Hunt likes this.
  26. 17

teenage dirtbag

as someone who lives with a person who has essentially no immune system, yeah i'm glad we're strict psychos on it.

Scott likes this.
  27. Grifter

Bluh?

I just got back from running to a few stores with my son. We've been pretty strict in our household about masks, and while we wear them, we are also getting the kids to wear them everywhere we go. The amount of people that don't wear them is pretty high here still. Masks are definitely more and more common place everyday, and multiple stores here are instituting the mandatory mask wearing policy. I don't like wearing a mask myself, but I do. I figure it's going to stick around for awhile, so I may as well get used to it. That being said, I see tons of people not doing it. Today I got crowded at the cash register by an ignorant woman, I just laughed and shook my head and walked away.

But, if the numbers lex posted are accurate, it's pretty easy to see why. Looking around me, there's still tons of people holding get togethers, not wearing masks etc.

That being said, if we get the cases down to zero, and things go back to normal after awhile, doesn't anyone think Covid will come back? After all, it's a mutating virus. How long are we going to live like this? Isn't a vaccine going to need to keep being modified and redistributed?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  28. C. Mike Hunt

29. KLD

KLD

I think it's annoying to be crowded by someone at the cash even without a pandemic! I don't understand why people have to stand so close, a huge pet peeve of mine. Anyway, I don't think a vaccine alone will help, but a vaccine in combination with an effective treatment to reduce severity of symptoms might be a good chance for some more loosened restrictions. I'm glad I'm in NS. Aside from wearing masks inside and not attending large events, going dancing, etc., I feel like things are pretty relaxed here. I can be social with friends and family, go to dinner, etc. Just have to be conscious of space. It seems like a lot of local musicians are making it worth with either outdoor shows, or doing shows inside and selling tickets for tables and keeping bubble groups apart. I'm happy to see some fun activities going on and the organizers making it work.

Nick84, Grifter, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The hardest part of the pandemic for me right now is seeing friends& family doing this but I’m on the other side of the bubble and, even worse, in a country where people just don’t get it.

And now we’re barely even going outside because the air quality from the west coast being on fire is so bad.

I’m normally in Amsterdam this time of year for a conference - dunno if in-person conferences will ever be a thing again.

31. PirateSteve

If I could get beer league hockey back some time this fall, my life would be pretty much back to normal. We have family get togethers, racing has started up, my business rolls on. I just need to get back on the ice and it's all good.

32. Matt30

If you hear of any groups needing a goalie, holla

PirateSteve likes this.
  33. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Same here on the sports front. That's what I miss the most :(

34. C. Mike Hunt

35. C. Mike Hunt

7th day in a row with no new cases :banana:

Boots and KLD like this.