Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. C. Mike Hunt

No active cases.

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Are they sure!?

3. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2020-6-23_13-37-1.png

Today's press release

Two people are currently in hospital, one of those in ICU. Both patients’ COVID-19 infections are considered resolved but they are being treated in hospital.

Boots likes this.
  4. C. Mike Hunt

5. C. Mike Hunt

upload_2020-6-24_13-9-49.png

Today's press release

As of today, June 24, Nova Scotia continues to have no active cases of COVID-19. The last new case was identified on June 9.

Earlier today, the Council of Atlantic Premiers announced travel restrictions in Atlantic Canada will be eased as COVID-19 case numbers remain low in each province. Interprovincial travel within Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador, without the requirement to self-isolate for Atlantic Canadian residents, will be permitted beginning Friday, July 3.

“Nova Scotians and Atlantic Canadians have worked hard to flatten the curve and we’re now in a place where we can ease restrictions within our region. This will allow families to travel and vacation this summer, boosting our tourism and business sectors. We’re looking forward to welcoming our neighbours back,” said Premier Stephen McNeil. “I encourage Nova Scotians, and all Atlantic Canadians, to follow public health measures in this province and in any neighbouring province they visit. COVID-19 remains a risk and we must do all we can to prevent this virus from getting a stronger foothold in our region.”

All public health directives present in each province must be adhered to, including not traveling if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 and practising physical distancing and good hand hygiene. Each province will choose their own processes to track and monitor travelers.

Visitors from other Canadian provinces and territories must adhere to the local entry requirements in place in each of the four jurisdictions. Other Canadian visitors to the Maritime provinces who have self-isolated for 14 days may travel within the Maritime region.

6. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Let's call it Atlantica

Scott and Nick84 like this.
  7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Meanwhile, in the US.

:facepalm:

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Are you affected by Trump's extension of the Visa stuff?

9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Not directly at the moment. I am already a landed immigrant and his new policies are around folks outside the US wanting to immigrate. So, since I already have an H1-B and am in process on the Green Card *and* I live in the US, I am fine.

In the broader sense, it gives me yet another level of anxiety on top of what I already felt being here on a work visa. It's not easy to describe but living in a country where your status to live there could be revoked at any time is pretty unsettling. Every time I cross the border, the US Border agents could say, "nope, your visa is being revoked." I can then try and enter on a visitor's visa but would still need to sell the house and just leave. No idea what that would mean for my job. That was one of the main reasons we are going through the Green Card process and now it sounds like Trump wants to fuck with that, too.

10. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Good news is Trump is all but gone in November

11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

most Liberals are saying that. I won’t believe it until the nail is in his coffin.

12. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I find that hard to believe. The more they say he's gone the more it encourages those that want him to vote, and discourages those that don't want him to stay home. I'm still thinking he somehow get re-elected. If he does lose, he won't go away quietly at all.

13. dpwu32

Trash elf

I have my doubts.

I hope to god I'm wrong, but I think he'll get re-elected.

Grifter likes this.
  14. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

There's not some kind of magical power that's going to keep such a shitty president in power. Better presidents have lost the job for much less. It's going to be a blue steamroll of epic proportions. Remember when Harper went far right and Canada basically told the conservative party to eat shit? You're going to see a similar swing down south.

15. C. Mike Hunt

I'm not optimistic. Hopeful, but not optimistic.

16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The Trump supporters I know who voted for him the first time both think he’s doing an amazing job and plan to vote for again.

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Luckily there's not enough of them to keep in office. Remember, these people stand out and it seems like there's a ton of them but it's only because they draw attention. For every obnoxious Trump supporter there are probably thousands of normal people who want him gone. The man is globally despised. I don't see how he has a snowballs chance in hell in this election.

18. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I’m not sure where you’re getting your numbers. It was a close election in 2016 but trump still won. Those who voted for him will still vote for him. The Trump supporters I know *are* normal people. It’s bizarre, completely fucked, but the US is not Canada not the rest of the world when it comes to their politics. It’s going to be a lot closer than you think.

Grifter likes this.
  19. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds but I'm sticking with him getting trounced.

20. Scott

rawr

I'd like to think he won't get more votes. He'll have the same base, but hopefully some of the "lets try Trump" votes go to Biden.

That said, the place is a shit show, so who knows what happens. Hell, even if he looses the vote, he'll call it fake and stay on

Grifter likes this.
  21. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Also worth noting that Covid-19 is really starting to crack off down there now. They are finding record numbers of infections and there are already 120K deaths. I can't see them not breaking 200,000 at this rate. Going to be pretty hard to get reelected when people are attributing 200K+ needless deaths on you.

22. C. Mike Hunt

23. soxfan5

Super Moderator

The problem is, the people who support him think it's all some conspiracy to make him look bad. They think hospitals are claiming people died from Covid just so they'll get more money from insurance companies. So in their minds, 120,000 deaths is an exaggerated number. Whatever he does wrong, they always find a way to convince themselves that it's either not his fault or that he actually did something good.

24. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Well I mean any stable genius can figure out it's a plandemic

Grifter likes this.
  25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

BootsBoots - You have to stop thinking logically, you moonbat.

Boots likes this.
  26. Grifter

Bluh?

Can safely say lots of folks are hoping for the same. A blue sea that tells Trudeau to eat shit. That is, if we can afford to supply the country with electoral ballots. :banghead:

27. C. Mike Hunt

Meanwhile, when 40% believe that facts don't matter...

[​IMG]

28. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I think Trudeau has handled this whole outbreak pretty good. Conservatives would have spent tons of money too, only difference is they would have spent it on themselves and their business buddies. Look what they did in Alberta, first sign of the pandemic and they drop all environmental regulations and monitoring.

chainsaw and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  29. Grifter

Bluh?

Don't think anyone who had any idea how to handle money would have spent as much as Trudeau has. We've plummeted the debt to epic proportions.

I'm not gonna argue that Andrew Scheer, had he won, would not have spent tons of money because I can only argue facts... I hope he would have done a better job, but he's dug his own bed, as I've said many times. I won't speculate on unknowns. But the fact we've plummeted our countries credit rating as far as we have and dropped on the world scale like we have is terrible.

I'm not going to comment on what they've done in Alberta, as without Alberta this country would not have had as much money going into the pandemic as it did. Without Alberta; Nova Scotia or Quebec, or any other province, would have the economy that they enjoy. You know I'm from Nova Scotia, I'm not going to say one province is better than the others, but bringing up environmental regulations has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Besides, the energy industry in Canada is one of, if not the cleanest in the world. If you despise it so much, trade in your S2000 and start riding your bike?

How can we say this is ok? The country is spending BILLIONS without hesitation. We are plummeting in debt and the spending isn't stopping. To top it off, the tourism budget was released, Quebec is getting the lion's share by 10's of millions. ($40 million more than any other province if I'm not mistaken?). We should not be spending all the money that we are, but when you have a trust fund buffoon running the country and pandering to fools who vote for him because he's hip and with it and legalized pot, that's what we get. A tanked economy, that OUR children will have to deal with. If you're okay with that, we are two very different people. I would love for my kids to have a better chance at getting ahead sooner than I did, and not have to deal with recession after recession like we are.

But he did a good job? In my opinion, he did not. The Canadian people did an alright job. No where near as good as many other countries. But that's okay, he has a nice haircut and grew a Covid beard and attended protests while telling the rest of us to stay home.

I don't know how Jagmeet Singh would have done, I don't know how Elizabeth May would have done, and I don't know how Andrew Scheer would have done. I can only judge how Trudeau has done. And in my opinion, he didn't do that well. I'm not okay with the massive debt load we now have to carry. $250 billion deficit and growing. Your daughter will not enjoy the life you have enjoyed unless you leave her a hell of a trust fund. I worked very hard to get where I ask today. I enjoy my lifestyle now, and at 35, I'm glad I achieved it. But I know since it took my so long, unless I win the lottery, what I can leave my kids is NOT going to be enough to let them not have to worry about paying their fucking taxes. I say that because I firmly believe that taxes are the only way to get some of this money back into our economy. And the tax hike is going to be big. We dropped on a world scale. To all of Europe. To Australia. To Luxemburg, to the Netherlands... No other country with a AAA credit rating dropped. Canada? Yeah. Because we "did so well"? We dropped.

$250 billion in debt. And counting. Good job? I think not.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    boing, Nick84 and tribeachpunk like this.
  30. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I bet there's a lot of families out there that would trade their inheritance for another day with a parent that passed away from Covid. This is a virtually unprecedented event and while there should have been some type of planning there was no playbook on how to deal with this. Things aren't good financially no doubt but to play Monday morning quarter back for a game with player that have never played the game before and refs that hadn't read the rule book is silly. If another party was in power they would have made just as many mistakes. Maybe not the same ones but there isn't a person on the planet who could have brought us through this unscathed. We can sit here and complain about how it was handled and get nowhere, or accept that the entire world was fucked, and many parts still are, and do our best to get unfucked. Think about that. Then entire world was fucked. No country came out as healthy as it went into this regardless of the party in charge.

chainsaw and C. Mike Hunt like this.
  31. Scott

rawr

'Murica

32. C. Mike Hunt

33. Grifter

Bluh?

That's why I said I can't say how good others would have done. I can only say how good other countries leaders dealing with it have done compared to Mr Throw Money At The Problem.

And yeah, people have died. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize that we are now terribly positioned for our economic future. People die every day. The world is suffering a pandemic. I get that. I'm simply pointing out that other countries are handling it better, and not tanking their economies. If that makes me a "Monday Morning Quarterback" then I guess its a good thing I like football amigo.

I don't know about you, but I can only follow the rules and watch as this happens. If I "Judge" what's going on around me, that makes me no different than anyone else, and I sure as shit will not say our Countries leader is doing a good job or "it's okay if our economy tanks cause some people are dying". Is it unfortunate? Yes. Do I feel for those who have lost loved ones? Yes. I truly do. But there's more to this than the unfortunate folks who have experienced Covid.

Your suggestion of accepting it's fucked and do my part to get us out of it? Yeah, I do that. I wash my hands multiple times a day, I wear masks every day. I do my best to practice social distancing. And at work I hold classroom sessions a couple times a week about Covid and the best practices to keep you and those around you safe. And, I bitch about how it's tanked our economy on R/C and how terribly our countries "Leader" has handled it. Hopefully some politicians that can spout a sentence without an Um or Uh and have actually had to work for a living read it and give him the boot!

Then I can say I did my part.

Go Pat's!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    boing likes this.
  34. Nick84

35. C. Mike Hunt

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

upload_2020-6-26_11-19-12.png

Today's press release

The province is renewing the state of emergency to protect the health and safety of Nova Scotians and ensure the safe re-opening of businesses and services. The order will take effect at noon Sunday, June 28 and extend to noon Sunday, July 12, unless government terminates or extends it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Cracker and Boots like this.