1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 Pandemic

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Mar 1, 2020.

1. 17

teenage dirtbag

One of my dudes at work is positive

public health said test if we become symptomatic but other than that business as usual

2. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220114005

Today, January 14, Nova Scotia is reporting six new hospital admissions and six discharges.

There are 57 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit. That includes 10 people in ICU. The age range of those in hospital is 0-100 years old, and the average age is 65. Of the 57 people in hospital, 54 were admitted during the Omicron wave.

The average length of stay of those admitted to hospital due to COVID-19 is six days.

As of January 13, 1,925,970 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 90.4 per cent of Nova Scotians have received their first dose, and 83.1 per cent have received their second dose.

As well, 35.6 per cent of eligible Nova Scotians have received a booster dose and 16 per cent have booked a booster dose appointment.

On January 13, Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) labs completed 5,074 tests. An additional 891 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 are being reported.

There are 534 cases in Central Zone, 198 cases in Eastern Zone, 77 cases in Northern Zone and 82 cases in Western Zone.

As of today, there are an estimated 6,648 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.

3. J0e Th0rnton

[​IMG]

Nick84 likes this.
  4. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

Babies get sick.

5. C. Mike Hunt

One is a child under 5.

6. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The number of people I know right now who are sick but with a negative Covid test is staggering. I’ve read too much about the rapid tests being unreliable to believe it’s just coincidence. Not that I think it changes anything but it’s a sign that we’re hitting a peak - everyone is sick, there is no one else to get it, numbers will start coming down.

7. TheOldskoo

Huzzah!

Yeah, I'm on the back side of something nasty, might have been COVID, might not have been. We had 2 rapid tests.. 1 was defective as the whole thing just kind of turned red and fell sideways? And the other said negative. But I had an awful cough (still do, will probably take forever to clear it), was completely exhausted and in bed for almost 4 days. Headaches, low grade fever, everything hurt, etc. But yet I don't fit a risk group, so couldn't get tested.

Hopefully that's what it was and I got it overwith.

8. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220115003

Today, January 15, Nova Scotia is reporting 58 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit.

Ten people are in ICU today. The age range of those in hospital is 0-100 years old, and the average age is 66. Of the 58 people in hospital, 55 were admitted during the Omicron wave.

The number of COVID-19 admits and discharges to hospital is not available today.

On January 14, Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) labs completed 4,124 tests. An additional 627 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 are being reported.

9. Scott

rawr

3 of us in the office. first tested positive Thursday, second on Friday....so far 3 rapid tests Ive been negative. Going for a good swab today. :ohnoes:

10. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

So if you test positive and caught it from a coworker who you last saw 3 days earlier, do you quarantine from the time of exposure or from when your test finally shows positive?

11. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220116001

Today, January 16, Nova Scotia is reporting 68 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit.

Ten people are in ICU today. The age range of those in hospital is 0-100 years old, and the average age is 65. Of the 68 people in hospital, 65 were admitted during the Omicron wave.

The number of COVID-19 admits and discharges to hospital is not available today.

On January 15, Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) labs completed 3,711 tests. An additional 696 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 are being reported.

12. 17

teenage dirtbag

in my experience the rapids are no good unless you’re symptomatic.
    I had a guy put up negative results since Tuesday and got a positive yesterday. Daily testing. He caught it from a guy who hasn’t been in since Monday

Scott likes this.
  13. Scott

rawr

and i'm negative

KMD and RoryTate like this.
  14. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

so allegedly you can have covid and be non-transmissible ?? i didn' tknow that was a thing. i thought as long as you had it you could breath it on to other people.

daughters day care has a kid returning back tomorrow that has his isolation period up and still has covid...??

15. 17

teenage dirtbag

i thought isolation period “release” was only good with a negative test?

16. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

I thought someone with a confirmed case can continue to test positive for months, so they have to go by how long it stays stays transmissible following infection plus a few days.

17. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

apparently not.

18. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

that's what its sounding like.
    essentially its not transmissible given a set amount of time following infection - correct. but it doesn't register this concept.

19. C. Mike Hunt

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  20. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220117005

Today, January 17, Nova Scotia is reporting 15 new hospital admissions and 12 discharges since the last update on January 14.

Nova Scotia is also reporting four deaths related to COVID-19:

• a man in his 40s in Central Zone
    • a man is his 70s in Central Zone
    • a man in his 80s in Eastern Zone
    • a woman in her 90s in Central Zone.
    There are 73 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit. That includes 13 people in ICU. The age range of those in hospital is 0-100 years old, the average age is 67 and the average length of stay of those admitted to hospital due to COVID-19 is six days.

As of January 16, 1,950,167 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 90.6 per cent of Nova Scotians have received their first dose, and 83.1 per cent have received their second dose.

As well, 35.1 per cent of Nova Scotians 18 and older have received a booster dose and 11.6 per cent have booked a booster dose appointment.

On January 16, Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) labs completed 2,275 tests. An additional 495 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 are being reported.

There are 227 cases in Central Zone, 89 cases in Eastern Zone, 31 cases in Northern Zone and 148 cases in Western Zone.

As of today, there are an estimated 5,736 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.

21. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220118003

Today, January 18, Nova Scotia is reporting 13 new hospital admissions and eight discharges.

Nova Scotia is also reporting one death related to COVID-19. A woman in her 80s in Eastern Zone has died.

There are 73 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit. That includes 15 people in ICU. The age range of those in hospital is 0-100 years old, the average age is 68 and the average length of stay of those admitted to hospital due to COVID-19 is 6.4 days.

As of January 17, 1,963,429 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 90.6 per cent of Nova Scotians have received their first dose, and 83.1 per cent have received their second dose.

As well, 36.7 per cent of Nova Scotians 18 and older have received a booster dose and 12.1 per cent have booked a booster dose appointment.

On January 17, Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) labs completed 3,465 tests. An additional 415 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 are being reported.

There are 233 cases in Central Zone, 68 cases in Eastern Zone, 40 cases in Northern Zone and 74 cases in Western Zone.

As of today, there are an estimated 5,511 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.

22. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.nshealth.ca/news/potential-exposure-covid-19-two-flights

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of a potential exposure to COVID-19 on two flights.
    • Air Canada 602 travelling on Jan. 8 from Toronto (7:00 a.m.) to Halifax (10:02 a.m.). Passengers in rows 16 to 22, seats A, B, C and D. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Jan. 22.
    • Air Canada 1405 travelling on Jan. 8 from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (2:45 p.m.) to Halifax (7:05 p.m.). Passengers in rows 20 to 26, seats A, C, D, E and F. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus on this flight on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Jan. 22.

23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Getting to that point where the number of folks I know personally with COVID is getting a little nuts. Last 3 meetings I've had today with started with someone new saying they just tested positive.

24. LMAC

_

Didn't you welcome it a month a go

25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I accept that it is happening which is not the same as welcoming it with open arms and doesn't mean seeing it spread through everyone I know isn't awful and incredible to watch. I still went to an NHL game Monday afternoon.

26. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220119004

Today, January 19, Nova Scotia is reporting 11 new hospital admissions and five discharges.

Nova Scotia is also reporting three deaths related to COVID-19:

• a man in his 60s in Central Zone
    • a man in his 80s in Central Zone
    • a woman in her 80s in Central Zone
    There are 83 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit. That includes 12 people in ICU. The age range of those in hospital is 29-100 years old. The average age is 69 and the average length of stay of people admitted to hospital due to COVID-19 is 6.5 days.

As of January 18, 1,979,992 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 90.7 per cent of Nova Scotians have received their first dose, and 83.2 per cent have received their second dose.

As well, 38.6 per cent of Nova Scotians 18 and older have received a booster dose and 11.4 per cent have booked a booster dose appointment.

On January 18, Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) labs completed 4,232 tests. An additional 527 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 are being reported.

There are 267 cases in Central Zone, 144 cases in Eastern Zone, 49 cases in Northern Zone and 67 cases in Western Zone.

As of today, there are an estimated 5,374 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.

27. C. Mike Hunt

28. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Amazing seeing this thing unfold. Makes you wonder if we'd have been done with this thing long ago without social media giving all the retards a place reinforce their idiocy.

We're basically at the point now of 'fuck it, nothing more we can do now' lol

29. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Interesting seeing studies coming out now talking about how the anti-vaxxer brain works differently. Not that it matters now.

Trying to have meetings at work, more and more people out or sick but sitting on calls sneezing/coughing.

I’m wondering if I have it myself - fever, lethargic, stuffed up. Negative test last night but I have zero faith in the rapid tests.

30. C. Mike Hunt

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220120004

Today, January 20, Nova Scotia is reporting 18 new hospital admissions and 11 discharges.

Nova Scotia is also reporting three deaths related to COVID-19:

• a woman in her 50s in Central Zone
    • a woman in her 70s in Northern Zone
    • a man in his 70s in Eastern Zone.
    There are 85 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit. That includes 12 people in ICU. The age range of those in hospital is 0-100 years old. The average age is 68 and the average length of stay of people admitted to hospital due to COVID-19 is 6.8 days.

As of January 19, 1,998,064 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered. Of those, 90.7 per cent of Nova Scotians have received their first dose, and 83.2 per cent have received their second dose.

As well, 40.6 per cent of Nova Scotians 18 and older have received a booster dose and 9.8 per cent have booked a booster dose appointment.

On January 19, Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) labs completed 4,402 tests. An additional 696 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 are being reported.

There are 382 cases in Central Zone, 95 cases in Eastern Zone, 63 cases in Northern Zone and 156 cases in Western Zone.

As of today, there are an estimated 5,430 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.

31. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

... and my daughter is a close contact - was in a van for a few hours with someone who just got back a positive PCR test. So, off to get tested this afternoon for both of us (me with symptoms, her with the contact).

Fun times!

32. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Good luck

33. Gooch

We all just recovered from the vid. Seems inevitable now at this point. The kids had little to no symptoms, the wife and i suffered from a “bad flu” for about 2 days. Far from the sickest I have ever been.

34. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Getting tested for Covid makes me feel like I’m living is some kind of dystopian future.

3C274FF2-C732-4BA4-AC98-F75264D2A9F4.jpeg

KMD likes this.
  35. C. Mike Hunt

https://www.nshealth.ca/news/nova-s...dation-rapid-test-swabbing-technique-improves

Nova Scotia Public Health now recommends Nova Scotians using rapid tests swab both their throat and nose when collecting their sample. This is based on research led by Nova Scotia Health's microbiology team.

Nova Scotia researchers have determined that collecting samples from both the throat and nose provides a more accurate rapid test result than a nose swab alone, which is the instruction provided by the manufacturer.

Public Health is working to update the current testing instructions that people receive when they pick up a rapid test. Public Health is advising that if only one location of the sample is being used, it should be the nasal swab, as the throat swab alone is not as effective as the nasal swab.

Nova Scotia is the first to report research results supporting a combined throat/nose collection method for self-administered rapid antigen tests. With recent public discussion theorizing that a combined sample may produce more accurate results, the microbiology lab completed a quality project to test this theory.

Collaboration with volunteer-based community rapid testing sites was key to the project’s success and allowed the project to rapidly answer a question that many jurisdictions across the country have been asking. Through the volunteer’s efforts, the team was able to collect samples and perform a quality review of the procedure and outcomes.

The investigation compared results of a common rapid take-home test using three sample sites: nasal swab; throat swab and; combined nasal/throat. All results were confirmed with PCR testing. Compared to PCR test results, samples from nasal or throat swabs each detected 64.5 per cent of cases. However, combining the nose and throat swabs increased sensitivity to 88.7 per cent.